Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What would be your top 5 choices for a SHTF .22 semi-auto rifle, that would be adequate for self-defense and hunting purposes? (best to least best)

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Proagie said:
What would be your top 5 choices for a SHTF .22 semi-auto rifle, that would be adequate for self-defense and hunting purposes? (best to least best)
10/22 m60 xt22

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sig Sauer 522 with a holographic site.
Ruger 10/22
That's all I got...

·
Supporting Member
12,179 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
S&W MP15-22
Remington 550-1 (since it shoots shorts, longs, and LR)
Browning SA22 (or the Norinco version...InterArms ATD .22)
H&K 416
maybe a Walther G22

(just a side note. I've never cared for Ruger. It's nothing against them, and I can't even tell you why honestly, they just don't excite me. I know many, many people love them and I have no real issue other than it's just not me.....almost like a Ford vs Chevy type mentality :D)

·
Registered
109 Posts
1) 10/22 Compact with 16.5" Barrel and 6 BX-25x2 Mags. (300+1 rounds) to lay down fire.
2) 10/22 Carbine Mod. 20" .920 Kidd Barrel, Bolt, Rod/Spring, Ext. Mag. release and 16oz. Trigger Job with limited over-travel. Add 8 BX-10 Mags. (80+1 rounds) to reach out and touch...

Then, cuzz I don't want to feel naked:
S&W M&P 357 SIG with 60+1 rounds (90 gr. 1850 fps, 684 ft./lbs.)
10/45 4" Bull with 30+1 rounds

·
Registered
536 Posts

Attachments

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
With Trigger Work...

Ruger 10/22
Marlin 795

·
Registered
228 Posts
a SHTF .22 semi-auto rifle, that would be adequate for self-defense and hunting purposes?
No .22 is adequate for self defense. It might be better than a sharp stick. It might not be too. Think [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VlOpwsj09c]atlatl.[/ame] They are much more deadly than a .22. They were used to wipe out the mammoths. Try killing a mammoth with a .22. Well it would be pretty easy because they're already dead. People killed them with sharp sticks. BTW the range on an atlatl is about 850 feet. They have been used all over the world actually. They predate the bow and arrow by a huge margin and they are considered far more effective. The Aztecs put stone tips on their darts and those were used to penetrate the chain mail armor of the Spanish. Add that to the fact they are silent in operation and you have a weapon superior to a .22 if you have the skill to use it.

So again, a .22 may not be better than a sharp stick for self defense. Then there's the fact that many people get shot with a .22 and walk away from it like nothing happened. Anyone who deliberately chooses a .22 for SD is asking for problems.

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
And CCI Velocitor cartridges...

·
Premium Member
14,832 Posts
Calico M100 carbine

Springfield M6 Scout

Armalite (Henry) AR-7

Ruger 10/22

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
No .22 is adequate for self defense.
I disagree. We are talking rifles. 25 rounds of just about anything will work for SD.

·
Administrator
34,386 Posts
Why not a Henry?

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
I like my Marlin better than my sons 10/22. Maybe it's just my rifle. But, its much more acurate than the 10/22. The 10/22 would be second. I like the Henry as a third option.

If we are talking 22s why dont we throw a pistol or two into the mix. I like my Ruger 22/45. Super acurate and reliable.

·
Administrator
34,386 Posts
If we are talking 22s why dont we throw a pistol or two into the mix. I like my Ruger 22/45. Super acurate and reliable.
Pistols? My Mark II can't be beat.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I disagree. We are talking rifles. 25 rounds of just about anything will work for SD.
You have to hit a very small area to be effective with a .22. 25 chances will not be enough. Observe

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9zy37-_0LU&feature=youtube_gdata_player]this video.[/ame]

The guy emptied two pistols at POINT BLANK range and the lawyer walked away. One round from a .45 makes a big difference in what the bad guy does afterwards. A whole bunch of .22 rounds may not make any difference at all. Sure it "might" work. But "might work" is nowhere near good enough. "Almost certainly will work" is my idea of a proper SD weapon.

Let's talk shotguns for a second here. You can fire 9 pellets (or more actually) each the size of a .32 bullet or so all at one time. If you miss you can fire again just like with your .22. Some of those shotguns hold 25 shells each with nine "00 buck" pellets inside. Just one hit from a shotgun is almost certain to disable a bad guy. Why on earth would you choose something that has a very small probability of doing that instead of the one that almost certainly will work? It makes absolutely no sense. Even if a 12 ga. is too much for you there are smaller ga. shotguns. Almost every adult can fie a 20 ga. shotgun effectively.

It just makes ZERO sense to use a .22 when you can use a shotgun instead. You can also hunt more effectively with a shotgun. Sure if you're good enough you can hunt enough game with a .22 to keep you going for a short time. But I'm here to tell you that game gets thinned out extremely fast especially if you think you can just take off from a city and take up residence in the woods somewhere. The people that own those woods are likely to take extreme exception to that in times of SHTF stress. I know I would. You wouldn't hunt on my property for long. The small amount of game a given stretch of woods supports is barely enough to keep one or two people going for a month. You better know how to do something besides hunt because you won't find enough game to keep you alive. Trust me I grew up on a farm where we supplemented our diet with game. We limited ourselves to the hunting season and it was still slim pickings for things like squirrels. They don't reproduce like rabbits and rabbits get hunted out extremely fast as well. I've seen it happen friend. You'll want to learn to build a fish trap, gig frogs, set a trot line, set up jugs, and learn just how drunk you have to be before noodling seems like a good idea.

I grew up getting a fair portion of our food from the land. Unless you're hunting deer that food will dry up quick. And it's not that easy to kill a deer with a .22.

Listen to the voice of experience. You'll need a bigger gun at least part of the time. And I'd carry a handgun for SD all the time and it would NOT be a .22. Double that to a .44 and you're getting close. Make it a magnum and you're there.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
A 10-22 or a marlin/Glenfield 60. ..That's it.
I have 10-22's set up a few different ways (from 16" to 22" bbl. I love the accuracy and they've proven themselves dependable. Even though I do like a Ruger more I've yet to see a Marlin that couldn't shoot well. I'm rebuilding one now that was treated pretty bad. I look forward to seeing what she'll do when she's brought back to glory. It's an old style Glenfield 60.

I don't care much for tactical 22's. I've shot several and they do well. It's just I feel like I should be drive by-ing squirrels or something. I do have one that looks lie a AK (armscor) I got in a trade a while back. I guess it's my commie 22...heh

Anyway, There are plenty good 22 rifles out there. Most are pretty good rifles. It's really hard to go wring with a Ruger, Marlin. Those SW 15-22's are real good shooters if a more tactical look and feel is your cup of tea. I've seen a few of the Mossbergs but have not shot one...yet.

At the end of the day a 22 (or few) is a must have for any collection no matter the size. As to the killing power of a 22...One just has to look at how many people have been rendered dead by one over the years. Sure there's stories about this or that but a whole lot of people got just as dead with a 22. Maybe not the most ideal dependent on the situation but there is no denying the history.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts