Tool Recommendation Please

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by DevilDogTodd77, Feb 12, 2013.

1. DevilDogTodd77

DevilDogTodd77 New Member

I am a new owner of firearms. I would like to buy some useful tools, not to be a gunsmith, but instead to help me maintain my handguns and rifles. I have a Sig 226, XD 9, & Chinese SKS.

What tools would you recommend to aid in breakdown and cleaning.?

2. dsstrpc_88

dsstrpc_88 New Member

A screw driver set specifically for gunsmithing, universal cleaning kit, hoppes #9 oil and solvent

3. orangello

orangello New Member

I like toothbrushes for scrubbing.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

+1000 on a GREAT set of gunsmith screwdrivers. They have interchangable tips, so you can find the one that fits, and they are hollow ground to fit, not slip. A mallet with a plastic face, set of brass punches. Pair of good small needle nose pliers, or some hemostats for holding itty bitty parts.

5. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

How serious are you going to get into gunsmithing, if you just want to be able to maintain your guns the I would recommend a screwdriver set, cleaning rod, patches, bore snake, solvent, lubricant, a set of punches, a wire brush for each caliber, another brush for misc cleaning and a rag for light cleaning

6. DevilDogTodd77

Great!! I can handle those. What size punches are the most commonly used?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

7. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

I would recommend the Glock disassembly tool, it will work for just about anything you need

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

my most used tools next to my hollow ground screwdriver set is my wheeler FAT inch pound torque wrench. a torque wrench doesnt really help on the guns you mentioned but its indispensable for scope mounting and use in bolt guns ar15 etc

9. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Well looks like you have already been helped on the tools.

You are off to a grate start with your collection. XD's and Sigs are grate guns. And by far my 2 favorite pol guns. The SKS is also a grate basic gun. The 7.62x39 is a proven effective round for just about every need.

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

A good 3 or 4 lb vice is a must have for AR work. Also a magnetic dish for holding those pesky pins, springs and screws and a good light source. Not sure about the rest of you but my eyes just don't work in the dark anymore. :)

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have a carpenters vise that I really like. I own a press so I never beat pins out. The carpenters vise is rubber coated so it never scratches my guns and it is portable. I often take it to the range so I can clean my gun while I am waiting on friends.

12. DevilDogTodd77

LBwar15 - Thanks, I bought the XD cause I liked its looks. I got the sig b/c a trusted friend recommended, and the SKS is a BullPup project. I am enamored with BullPup rifles but I don't have much dough. I am married!! :) Of all the kits I have found, the one from Shernic has many good reviews. My next rifle will be an AR and may try to build from scratch...if I feel lucky!!

13. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

XD's are grate guns. Was my first "service cal" gun. I had a bursa thunder .380 before. Sigs are crazy reliable. There is a reason there frays is To Hell And Back. Even most of the Navy seals choose the P226. You will hear someone say glocks suck. You will hear XD's suck. You will hear M&P's suck. But you will never hear anyone say Sig's suck.

Building your own is a grate way to go (and not as hard as some might thank). You can build a much better quality gun for cheaper. (If you have the tools) Why pay $1200 for a gun when you can build one of equal quality for about $800? But the current market is not good for someone trying to start an AR project. If all goose our way things will be back to normal in time.