Took the M1 Carbine Out Today

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by zaitsev44, Feb 23, 2013.

1. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I took it, my Mosin and my CZ52 to the range today and was quite impressed, for the most part. I was shooting my Mosin with bayonet on at 100 yards with silver tipped Bulgarian surplus ammo, it shot way better than expected. The carbine shot really good, until after 40 or so it started to fail to cycle. I was using steel cased 110 gr. Wolf at about 50 yards, it would fire a round and fail to eject, I would then take the magazine out and use my Mosins cleanin rod to push it out. I think the Wolf did have enough power to cycle the gas system. The CZ shot good with my Bulgarian surplus ammo too. . Anyone know what happened with the Cabine? The brass looked fine and all. Thanks

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I would say you have the right idea. WOLF!!!!!! :(

3. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

So in a nutshell Wolf .30 Carbine is crap, right? The gun store had federal too, but it was $3 more

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

You need to clean the gas piston. The dirty ammo is clogging the "War Babies" gas port.

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

The Gas Piston Nut may be loose too -- leaking pressure.

Isn't it one of the most fun guns you've ever shot otherwise though!?

6. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I cleaned what I could when I got home, I used Hoppe's to clean up the carbon buildup. It's clean now, how do you clean the gas port thoroughly? Don't you need a special wrench to take it off?

7. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

It was super fun! Recoil was basically nonexistent, and really accurate! I loved it

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Yes you will need a gas piston nut wrench. Shooting dirty ammo in a gas piston firearm comes with a cost.:(

9. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I heard that was difficult. Where can I get one?

10. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

One on eBay for about $18 I think with shipping.

11. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

That's not too bad, but I heard somewhere that taking the gas piston off is hard to do, is this true?

12. m72law

m72law New Member

I dont know what make of M1 carbine you where shooting zaitsev44...if its not a ''USGI M1 carbine'' like a universal,iver johnson,ect. it want have a gas nut,it will have a pin that holds the gas piston in place.;) I think? lol

If yours is a USGI carbine...forget what I wrote^^^:eek:

By the way,where are you finding Wolf brand m1 carbine ammo? & is it really that dirty?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  13. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

It's a original 1943 national postal meter. It's pretty dirty, there was a nice thick coat of carbon around the piston. I've never used wolf before do I had no knowledge of it being crap and it was $25 for 50, the best price I've seen around me and it was in stock so I got a box.

14. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

And for the place I found it, my LGS has both Lake City in the individual 50 round boxes for $40 and 1000 or so rounds for $999 in the .30 ammo cans and they had 10 of those or so. The place I got mine at is where I hunt, they had federal and wolf, that place has lots of ammo for a good price and a bunch of surplus ammo.

15. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Ok it wa 1350 rounds for $999, it was all 1960s Lake City

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Well, not to make you cry but I bought some Aquila from CMP after Hussein Obama was elected at $164 for 500 rounds plus shipping, and a year ago a little sealed tin surplus Remington Arms in bandoliers on stripper-clips for $0.50/round from an aquaintance I'd been asking this for from year to year.

Wait to find Aquila in discountable-quantity if you can (you won't easily right now) -- the US-made ammo has always been insanely priced IMO I'm sorry to say.

I see it all selling for more tha $0.50/rnd when it is out of stock and basically near at least $1.00/rnd otherwise...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  17. m72law

m72law New Member

Sounds like a sweet shooter zaitsev44;)

whoa $25 bucks for a box of wolf:eek: guess thats still not to bad if you can find it for that nowadays @ the panic prices we are in:(

If LC carbine ammo is as good as the LC 7.62X51mm that should be some good/clean shooting stuff.

I miss the days when buying 500rds. of .308 for $80.00bucks...wonder if we'll see those kind of prices again soon? :DLOL!:D

I got lucky the other week and found some Aquila M1 carbine ammo @ aimsurplus.com for $18.00 a box.

Have yet to try it out in my universal m1 copy...has anyone tried the Aquila ammo? if so,is it any good?

18. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Does AIM still have any? How is their shipping rates?

19. m72law

m72law New Member

Not at the moment,if you make a free account with them you can use the ''notify me'' on most of their products & when the item is in stock,it will send a email to your emailaddress.

Their shipping isnt to bad...I think i was charged around $12.00 for 3 boxes of m1 carbine & 5 boxes of 7.5x55 GP11, 28081 area code.