Took my youngest out this weekend for a few rounds

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by purehavoc, Oct 24, 2011.

1. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

He is 7 , never shot anything , so we went over some basic safety rules , how the gun worked and to never point it at anyone or himself .
    So we got the pellet rifle out and he sent a few of those down range at cans and plastic bottles filled with water , then after about 30-40 shots we got the .22lr out and backed up a bit . I dont think he missed a single bottle or can with the pellet rifle at 15 yards . only missed 4-5 shots with the .22 and now he is addicted and wants to go again soon . :) I had a blast and watched/ supervised ever shot . He would even check to make sure the gun was clear after every 5th shot . Glad he had a good time and was interested and kept his attention on what he was supposed to be doing . When we left he said " Dad, I would like a BB gun for Christmas if thats ok " LOL I didnt say a word but im sure he will get it :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fmj

fmj New Member

That boy right handed w/ left eye dominance?

Is that a Winchester 270 or 275??

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Excellent! Well done Dad. :cool:

4. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Very cool! Moments like this make appreciate how much my father taught me about shooting when I was younger. Thanks for sharing your experience. Keep the range reports coming :D

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

yes , I know thats a big scope for the pellet rifle 3x9x40 but thats what I had laying around when I got the gun and I didnt have to buy another scope :D
    Nope that pic is deceiving he is right handed and right eye dom.

6. fmj

fmj New Member

OH, OK, the way hes cocking his head makes it look like hes left eye Dom. My youngest is right hand, left eye.. so he shoots both eyes open and cleans house ;)

What kinda .22 is that in the second pic?

Anywho, many years of fun are ahead of you guys. Sounds like you have created a monster....GOOD JOB! ;) You should check out some cricketts for X-mas. Boys LOVE things that say "bang" when you squeeze 'em.

Crickett Firearms - My First Rifle - Youth Model 22 Rifles - Proudly Made In The USA

Shooting his Crickett for the last time...
    he moved up to my '61 this day.
    [​IMG]

Crickett compared to the Win. 61...
    [​IMG]

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Its way to big for him and I think thats why he is cocking his head to get over the stock , its a older winchester that belonged to my dad, as far as a model I would have to look at it

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  8. fmj

fmj New Member

I figured as much about him cocking his head after you said he was right dom. He definitely needs a gun that fits him.

I ask about the .22 as i have one that looks similar to that. Call it curiosity. I inherited it from my dad. The one here is a Win. 275 pump action 22 mag. Dads old fox gun.

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

God Bless you gentlemen!
    Keep those youngsters shooting and interested in our sport and the second amendment for the future. That is flat GREAT!

10. fmj

fmj New Member

truth told, I get a bigger kick out of kids getting excited and learning marksmanship than i do about dropping 5 in the same ragged hole anymore. I really need to find or start a class/competitions around here for youngsters. Have looked as the wife and I want to get the boy into shooting comp. like i did as a youngster....more importantly the boy wants to shoot comp.

11. fapprez

fapprez New Member

Now that my dad is gone from this earth, I cherish the moments we had shooting together. Those memories with him will NEVER go away. You have just done the same thing for your son. Stick your chest out a little farther and walk proud knowing that you have FOREVER changed his life. Well done, Dad.

12. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Shooting with your son or daughter...it just does not get any better than that, unless of course you can get your wife to come along too.

13. vincent

vincent New Member

That's a neat little rest...did you make it yourself?

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

FMJ
    That .22 is a model 190 .. Dads had it a long long time also .

15. fmj

fmj New Member

OK, Thanks. I think its the same thing as the 270/5 but its a semi and not pump action. cool rigs you dont see a lot of.

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have some of my grandfathers guns , and one of them I cant wait to get out and shoot is a springfield model 56 however theres no magazine so im waiting on that to get here , he also gave me a old 410 with a screw on choke that goes outside the barrel and another older either sears or monkey wards .22 bolt single with a neat little peep sight on it

17. fmj

fmj New Member

NICE!! You know their old when they came from a mail order catalogue company!

18. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

yup those would have been the good ol days :D

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

FMJ

That is great as I previously stated. And what a great idea! Sometimes local ranges have youth programs and competition along with some Boy Scout and state organizations. Later you can get him (as well as the girls) involved with the DCM Youth programs in your are. Some ranges have youth programs, or as you stated you might get with a Range in your area and start one. I know it would be more than rewarding to see them learn, improve and develop their skills.The kids from the DCM Youth Team Programs from all over the USA compete at Camp Perry each year and do fantastic!
    A good friend of mine worked with the Illinois youth team at Perry for about 11 years. Which they won I believe 6 or 7 years out of the 11 at Perry. And a couple of the kids went on to shoot on the AMU the Army's top team. And were top gun at several of the Army's military competitions.
    So keep up the good work with the son! I am excited due to the fact that my grandchildren are coming to Tennessee for the fall break visit starting tomorrow. He (12 YOA) and his dad will be bringing their rifles and pistol with them to shoot here on my range. And I will be checking my zero on my 7mm Rem Mag and zeroing my night vision on my AR for night coyote and pig hunting in Texas a week from tomorrow. I will get a kick out of them helping grandpa get the weapons and equipment ready for my hunting trip also. As you stated I will get more enjoyment out of watching them shoot their weapons and mine than I will doing it myself. Both the Grandson and Granddaughter will be shooting and helping me get ready. This will be the first time the granddaughter to shot! (10 YOA)
    Can't Wait! God Bless all the Dads, Moms and Grandparents who help introduce the young to our sport and our love and respect for our weapons and Second Amendment Rights!

20. fmj

fmj New Member

Its funny you mention the DCM. That is where i got my true love for marksmanship. I will always remember how i HATED going to a sling and peep sights on those bolt action .22's from my Win. 61 with iron sights. (I was hell on wheels w/ that 61 in my misspent youth) When other kids my age were sitting at home on Saturday mornings watching cartoons, i was up early, riding my bike the 2 miles to the gun club, laying, sitting, kneeling and standing on the firing line. Listening to those two old marines calling my shots. "position 7, you sneezed and jerked that shot, settle down, BREATHE AND SQUEEZE!" :) I achieved my distinguished sharpshooter pin @16 and have many trophies from the competitions.

As far as i know there are no DCMs in this area. Any clue as to how i go about setting up/getting started with something like that?