Took my oldest firearm out for a walk today

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by 9mmgun, Apr 1, 2011.

1. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

I've been shooting the heck out of my semi auto's for the last few months, so while visiting my local gun store this week I Picked up a few boxes of .38, .38+P & .357, dug out my pristine 1972 Ruger 4" blued Security Six & off to the range we went.

It's been a while & I almost forgot just how wonderful those old Rugers really are. What a joy shooting that old girl, every round I fired put a bigger & bigger smile on my face. Deadly accurate, nice & smooth, flawless performance & to me anyway, an absolutely beautiful revolver. (Mine's original except for a added Tyler T-Grip)

I have a feeling my semi's are going to get a longer rest than I anticipated.

(List price in 1972 was $86.00!!!, Damn I wish I had a Flux Capacitor equipped DeLorean)

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Yep, it sounds like a beauty of a gun. There's something to be said about a gun that is an "old faithful". You take care of her, she'll take care of you. :)

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

4. Theunsb

Theunsb New Member

Pic's or not true.:D

5. tekarra

tekarra New Member

I like to take my revolvers out from time to time and always enjoy them. The Security, Service and Speed Sixes are great revolvers.

6. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

I'll bet mesinge2s ears are burning.:D

7. freefall

freefall New Member

I heart my Security Six. If I could only have one handgun that would be it. Or maybe my .44 Bisley. This is Alaska after all...

8. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I got sucked in by the thread name. I thought of an early Smith. . . but Rugers are great and we all love the vintage models, but then no pics??? :confused:

False Advertising. . . . :mad:

9. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Great guns aren't they?
    The Gp100 just doesn't feel right in my hand. Too muzzle heavy.

But the Sixes are just right. Now I have 6 Security Sixes.
    I am thinking of starting on the speed six model next :D

hmmm..... I thought I heard a ringing in my ear today.

Here is my oldest Security Six. According to Ruger, it was made on January 19, 1972:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  10. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

Very nice, mine was also made in 1972 & looks identical except for the added tyler T-grip. How do I post photo's like you did above?

PS- To everyone hocking me for pictures, mesinge2's six is identical (LOL)

11. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

1972 was the first year of the Security Six. Its when Ruger invented the best DA wheelie yet, then in 1988 they broke my heart and stopped making them, :(

Under your user CP you can put pictures in an album. Then from the album hi-light and copy the address in the window entitled "BB Code". It will start [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  12. Charger Fan

Charger Fan New Member

I've got the same gun, in stainless. And I agree, the Security Six is an excellent revolver...my daughter has already claimed it as hers, after I croak.:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

You click on the "Paper-Clip" on the tool bar (3trd from right on top) hook up your camera and upload your pics. Takes about 4 min. The line: "It looks like that one" is pretty lame man :rolleyes:, no offense, I'm just helping you out. If I post up a range report I try to save and/or snap my better papers, also.

Don't take it personally, but pics add so much to a thread, especially one like you titled. . . I was expecting at least a shot of your best grouping. I don't show all my guns, but here's my GP100:

It's the same thing as the Security Six, but the barrels are usually full shrouded. i have seen a half lugged GP100 at a gun show, left to pick up the cash and it was gone by the time I got back. . . :( But I don't find the 4" GP muzzle heavy in the least. In fact, the balance is one aspect of both the GP100 and SP101 that I believe aids the shooter in having such an effective weapon.

They are so solid it brings the user's confidence up, knowing that they have a "real" machine to fight with. :)

P.S. My GP100 now has Meprolight night sights, THEY ARE AWESOME!!!

Attached Files:

14. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

Ok I will give it a try, this weekend. I didn't save the targets though, so I guess that gives me a good reason to take it back to the range.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.RICH-HGGIB674I5\My Documents\Downloads

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  15. Win73

Win73 New Member

Here is my "old (1891) faithful".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Wow, that's an interesting looking revolver!?! :confused: