Took my 586 no dash to Cabelas

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Rick1967, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I took my 586 to Cabelas just to find out what it is worth. They said it had a retail value of $795.00. That is not what they offered me. But I didn't have any intention of selling it anyway. I just wanted to find out what it was really worth. I paid $500 for it about 5 years ago. I told them I was interested in a 4 inch 686. I wanted them to make me a real offer. They only offered me $525.00 for it. Wow...that's a mark up!

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

That means they would sell it for $600+. Might be a little too steep for my blood if I were in the market. Then again, if I fell in love with it, who knows?

3. Rick1967

No they told me they would put $795 on it.

4. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

That is a hell of a markup. I only make about $50-$100 off each gun I sell. Some of them I only make $25 off of.

5. RUT

RUT New Member Supporter

>>That is a hell of a markup. I only make about $50-$100 off each gun I sell. Some of them I only make $25 off of.<<

But Cabela's has more of an "overhead" to maintain.

6. Rick1967

If I actually wanted to sell it there is a dealer that sells guns for a $10 commision. It is Wilcox Auto. That is the place that used to be A-Pawn. But I think I will hang on to it. Maybe my son will get $1500 for it in 20 years.

7. Rick1967

I find it rather disgusting. I also brought in my Kahr CM9. They offered me $265 for it. I bought it from them used for $399 less than a year ago. Still looks brand new in the box it came in. Their excuse was that there are too many of them out there for sale.

An original 586 no dash that is actually for sale is hard to come by. I am not talking about a modern S&W that you can go buy at your local dealer. Mine has the firing pin on the hammer. It is the original 586 Combat Magnum.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

A brand new S&W 586 at full MSRP is $809.

$525 isn't really that horrible of an offer (it's not great either), however, them thinking $795 for a used one as an asking price is something else.
    I would stop going there for appraisals.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  9. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Supply and demand.

10. Rick1967

We are not talking about the same gun. The new model is not the same as the old model. I have held and dry fired the new model. There is no comparison. My gun has a trigger that is incredible. I do not like the new one.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  11. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Most places will offer half (or less) than what they plan on selling something for. That's only about a 30% markup, granted guns are usually not big profit items, but still it does not sound all that unrealistic. Now, is someone going to pay $795? Who knows, maybe yes, maybe no.
    FWIW, most retail places will try and double the wholesale on things, bigger ticket items are usually 20-30% mark up.

12. Overkill0084

Be that as it may, the relatively low price of the brand new one is going to hurt used values to some extent. Simply put, I'm not going to pay more for a used one than a new one. I doubt that I'm alone in that opinion. Trigger jobs aren't that expensive.

13. Rick1967

Wow, Overkill I don't know how else to say it...we are talking about two different guns. There is no collector value to a gun that is in current production. This is like comparing a 2013 Malibu with one from 1971. The guns look alike. But that is where the similarities end.

14. Overkill0084

While their may be any number of differences, calling them "two different guns" is overstating it.
    FWIW, the early to mid 80's (the period when the L-frames were introduced, & the waning days of Bangor Punta ownership) wasn't exactly the high water mark for S&W quality. So the implication that today's version is somehow dramatically inferior to the "original" might need a second look.
    Comparing pre 70s "K" & "N" frames to current S&W offerings justifies much more in the way of skepticism.

15. utf59

utf59 New Member

It could be that they expected to bargain with you over their offer and also with a buyer over the retail price. Still a lot of markup.

On a side note, make sure the recall work was done on it. There was a problem with them locking up when shooting magnum rounds. My dad got one at an auction, and I inherited it from him, so neither of us got the recall notice. I stumbled across it somewhere and called S&W. They weren't going to pay shipping and do a 20+ year recall for free. Since I mostly shoot .38 Special anyway, I have yet to send mine in. But if you shoot a lot of magnum rounds, it might be worth checking. I think they stamped an M next to the serial number to denote having done the recall work.

I wouldn't sell mine, either. I love shooting the gun, plus it has the sentimental value of having been my dad's.

16. Cheeseman

Cheeseman New Member

Odd, I am the original owner of my vintage 586 and never heard of this recall. I might have been in witness protection or somethin' Who knows?

Attached Files:

17. Rick1967

Yes. Mine has the "M". I don't plan to get rid of the gun anyway. I was just shocked at how much of a mark up they wanted to make. I know a pawn shop that would sell it for a $10 consignment fee. But again, I don't want to sell it.

18. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

You're a good guy, but ya need to back up off my Boo. I'm getting a little over 33mpg ever since I brought it home. Nothing I had back in the seventies comes anywhere close. As far as S&Ws go I have become fond of the old pinned barrels with the counter bored cylinder that encloses the shell rim. Kinda feel about the Bangor Punta guns like most folks feel about the AMF Harleys.