Took a trip to uncle sam.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Buckethead47, May 16, 2012.

1. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

For those of you who kinda know who I am, probably one of the youngest on the shotgun board at 22. I answered uncle sams call and enlisting in the navy. I just took my asvab and got a 65. I am waiting for a date to do a physical and see the job classifier.

2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Congradulations, and thank you!

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations. You are joining the largest and oldest fraternity around, and are about to embark on an adventure you will recall as an old man.

There will be good times and bad, fun and jesuswhydidIeverdecidetodoTHIScrap moments. Pay attention, take notes, learn everything you can learn.

4. 94browninghunt

94browninghunt New Member

Thank you for joining, and congrats on your decision!

5. Vincine

Vincine New Member

6. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

The jobs I'm intrested in are bosin mate, damage control, gunners mate and master of arms.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yes! Great job brother. You'll have moments just like c3 pointed out. I wouldn't trade my time in the service for anything, some of the best things in my life happened there. I also couldn't get paid enough to to it all again though.

8. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

The pay isn't what I will be there for. And which job its a great job? I thought bosin mate would be fun refueling ships while under way. Gunners mate just so I can play with big guns. Damage control is pretty much a fire fighter which is something I always wanted to do. And master of arms would be the navy version of a police officer.

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

As far as civilian employment: Bosin Mate gets you to a slot in private shipping. Damage Control gets you to emergency services; Gunner’s Mate pretty much limits you to the military or defense industries; Master of Arms gets you to police services.

Of the bunch, I think sailors in shipping get paid WELL, and you do get to ‘travel’, but home life will be hard. Have you done much sailing on Michigan? I gotta warn you, notwithstanding the SS Edmund Fitzgerald, the ocean is a bit different than The Lakes.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  10. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I have been on the lake many times. some more exiting than others. my grandpa has an 18' foot fishing boat. and we have been caught a few miles out in bad storms. coming in to port during the storms is very stressful. i have also been caught in a bad storm on Erie a few times too. never fun. but i would rather be on a larger ship that can take those waves vs a small boat.

11. barneygoogle

barneygoogle New Member

The best branch of service for broad jumping is the Navy. The other branches get the leftovers. Most of the BM's swab decks and chip paint and paint the ships. It's no fun refueling ships in rough weather, lot's of hard nasty work.
    Check into Special Opps. 1140. Lots of opportunities in that classification. You can go Underwater Mine Warfare or salvage diver or EOD. When you get out of service you could be a diver on an oil rig or salvage diver, (Treasure), or get an EOD job with the LEO Bomb Squad. There's all kinds of possibilities , C3Shooter might even give you a job in Demo.
    Have fun seeing the world and remember to take lots of pictures and the most important thing is don't try to be a hero and come home in one piece.

12. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Congratulation and thank you . Like C 3 said there are going to be those day you have to question your self why did I do this. But it will work out in the end. If I could I would do it all over again.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

In general, great job on taking the first step in serving our great country. And no one does it for the pay, that was rhetorical.

14. towboater

towboater Active Member

Congrats. Its a great thing to do.

15. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I think every young man should try it.

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

BTW, think the term is bo'sun. Shorthand for Boatswain.