Took a few new pictures of some of my Pinfire collection

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by AaronN322, Apr 5, 2011.

1. AaronN322

AaronN322 New Member

Limited to 4 pictures in a post so I will expand this to multiple replies.

You can find a lot more at: The Cartridge Freedom Act!!

2mm:
    [​IMG]

5mm:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7mm:
    [​IMG]

2. AaronN322

AaronN322 New Member

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

That is a very cool collection!

4. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Wow sweet! i have some pinfires but none of the ammo...

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Very cool!!

Hey, can you hunt hamster with that 2mm?

6. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Great collection, super pics too! :)

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's a sweet collection. I'd imagine it took some time and patience to put it together.

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Aaron

Very nice collection and great pictures!
    Thank you for sharing them with us!

9. meadville

meadville New Member

WoW! I see the revolvers now and then but full boxes of ammo, never. Very very nice.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Those are great! Thanks for posting the pics. Ever fire any of them?

11. AaronN322

AaronN322 New Member

I have bought kits to make re loadable 7mm pinfire cartridges and fired them in some of my other 7mm pinfire revolvers (not pictured.)

I also bought a box of newly made 12mm pinfire ammo by some cartridge reloader in Florida but have not got to fire them yet.

Nah..they are more for hunting mosquitoes. :D

Actually everything pictured there are blanks and guns made for blanks. Back toward the late 1800s and early 1900s some guns were actually made to fire 2mm pinfire ball cartridges.
    [​IMG]

I have one factory live cartridge from then too. (I have many 2mm blanks with shot shoved in that most think is a live cartridge)

[​IMG]
    This is the only variety of a genuine factory loaded 2mm cartridge that I think exists. Below are its specifications from an SFM(Societe Francaise des Munitions) Factory Drawing dated September 1900. It shows their specifications for their cartridge for the antique "Pistolet-Mouche" revolver. Notice too that the diameter of the cartridge is slightly smaller at 1.9mm than most 2mm cartridges which are normally right over 2mm in diameter. Also, notice that the ball is 1.7mm. The #9 shot shoved into blank cartridges that most people find and think is a live cartridge is 2.03mm.
    [​IMG]

I have some for sale if anyone is interested.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. And I have a lot more where these came from. I will post more some time.

12. AaronN322

AaronN322 New Member

OK.. Here are a few cool cartridges in my collection:

[​IMG]
    This is one of the very first pinfire revolver cartridges. Shotgun cartridges came about 10 years before. and about 5, 10 years after the patent for the all metal case by Houllier-Blanchard gave us our "modern" pinfire.

[​IMG]
    This is the earliest US-made paper shotshell. It is a 10 gauge pinfire shotshell that was made by C. D. Leet of Springfield, MA in the early 1860s. More info on this at: Earliest US Shotshell, by C. D. Leet of Springfield, MA

[​IMG]
    Translation:
    [​IMG]
    This pinfire rifle cartridge was made by Fabrique Gevelot of Paris, France. It was made for the Swiss Trials of 1865-67. The string wrap worked as a bullet patch.

13. RGH

RGH New Member

Greetings, Aaron,

A superb collection to be mighty proud of. Thank you for sharing.

14. drsimm1776

drsimm1776 New Member

pinfires

You say you have "what" for sale?
    Pinfire revolvers etc
    or
    pinfire shells?
    Don

15. rachilders

rachilders New Member

I picked up a nickle plated, 6 shot pinfire revolver in 9mm at a local gun show several months ago. The gun is in EXCELLENT condition and operates perfectly. I was also able to research a fair amount of information about it and discovered from a proof mark on the cylinder that the revolver was made in the city of Liège, Belgium and "ELG" is the proof mark used by this city from 1811 until 1893. It also has the letter "L" with a crown above it showing it was made between 1853 and January 1877. I thought it was interesting that on the "Sons of Guns" TV episode that aired a few weeks earlier, one of the featured spots was a man wanting the shop to find ammo for his pinfire revolver. The guys ultimately just made up a batch for the customer when they couldn't locate any. I was also a bit surprised when they were discussing how rare the guns are suppose to be yet there were three at the gunshow in January (that I saw), I picked the best one and all were selling $250 or less. Mine was marked at $250 and the seller dropped the price $50 when I started counting out twenty dollar bills.

Attached Files:

16. AaronN322

AaronN322 New Member

rachilders,

To people who only are familiar with modern guns, all antique guns seem super rare.

But the one pinfire featured on Sons of Guns was an extra rare one though.

Also, I am the one (the "some guy online" they found) that they bought the pinfire cartridges from that they remade. We actually recorded a couple takes of a whole convo with Charlie and I on the phone, but it did not end up making the show.

17. AaronN322

AaronN322 New Member

Also, while this topic got moved back up front, here are a few more cool images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. rachilders

rachilders New Member

Interesting. To think, you were almost a TV star! BTW, I found a website that sells ammo for pinfire revolvers and shotguns. It's not made exactly the same as original pinfire ammo, but looks the same and it works... http://hlebooks.com/pinfire/pin01.htm

19. AaronN322

AaronN322 New Member

Yes, I am familiar with them.

They are actually a reseller for the manufacturer of them: http://www.hc-collection.com/. I have their 7mm and 12mm kits. They usually work really well. It makes it totally worth the money to be able to shoot these antique guns that haven't been fired since around the civil war!