Took 1st place at a local sniper competition today.

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by CarlsbadRanger06, Nov 18, 2011.

1. CarlsbadRanger06

CarlsbadRanger06 New Member

Every year all of the Snipers in the 1st Ranger Batt and also Snipwrs from 3rd ID in Ft Stewart hold a "The Best Sniper/Spotter Competition".

Targets range from 150-1500 meters on a range owned by a local land owner near Ft Stewart. We use semi auto rifles, long bolt guns, and high powered rifles in three stages.

My friend and spotter took First Place in all three categories but won 2nd in the CQB "Fight &Hide".

This IS NOT a government sanctioned event nor is it ran by any clubs. Just a bunch of soldiers that get together for a day to see who is the best Sniper/Spotter Team.

If anyone has any questions just holler!

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Yes, it's me and yes, I have a question. (As always)

What's a spotter? Please explain in detail what he does. Do snipers always shoot in teams like that?

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

A spotter is the person who tells the shooter the range and where to aim to hit the target. They also tell them where the shots are hitting. As to if they always use them-they usually have them but there are some situations that a spotter is not operable. Things like a spotter dying. So all snipers are also trained to be a spotter and spotters are trained to be a shooter.

4. CarlsbadRanger06

A Spotter is, essentially, a qualified sniper himself. The Spotter "spots" targets, calls them out to the shooter. He also ranges the target, provides reference points for the shooter, calculates windage, elevation, air temperature, air pressure, etc etc etc and formulates a shot plan for the shooter. The spotter, essentially, tells the shooter how and where to adjust his sights, his scope, MOA figures, etc etc.

No, snipers dont ALWAYS shoot in teams, but I have always had a spotter next to me. There are times when things happen quickly so the shooter makes his own calculations on the fly....

5. CarlsbadRanger06

The Spotter dying is actually one of the very least likely scenarios, although it has happened. Like I said in my other posts, there are times when the shooter must make quick, decisive decisions without the input from the Spotter (multiple targets at close range, etc)

6. CarlsbadRanger06

And I didn't get a trophy or a plaque. Lol. Just the pool money ($1000) that every team put on the pot. Haha

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The spotter dying was the first one to come to mind, sorry if i caused a misunderstanding there. The spotters are usually very good at sciences and advanced math like trig/calculous

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations!

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Congrats on 3 First Place finishes. How does the scoring work...best single shot, best group, etc?

10. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

That's because I wasn't there or any Marine for that matter....lol j/k. Congrats!

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

All of us marines could have been there and only a few could shoot w them boys....we dont miss that often;) just joking guys. All honesty congrats and thanks for serving guys. I was the marksman for my platoon and it just amazed the guys at how i can shoot and i didnt and still dont think those shots were spectacular. I mean i was shooting 5 shot groups at 300 yards and covering them with a half dollar most of the time. A 3 shot group i was covering w a quarter and a nickel on a good day.

12. hydrashok

hydrashok New Member

Congrats, Ranger!

I didn't realize you were still an operator...

Do they let you go TDY for this competition, or is it on your own dime???

13. CarlsbadRanger06

Oh it's my own dime but it's only a 45 mile drive....

Not really an "Operator" at the moment ; I'm an Instructor at Army Sniper School....

14. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Congratulations! If you do not mind me asking, what rifle were you using?

15. utf59

utf59 New Member

WOC,

A couple of other notes. Since the spotter isn't subject to recoil and muzzle flash/gases, it's easier for him to see the actual impact of the round and make corrections. And the spotter often provides security for the sniper, armed with a rifle with a higher rate of fire than the sniper rifle.

16. CarlsbadRanger06

AI .338 Lapua Mag and my Chey Tac .408 ;)

17. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Congrats! That is a skill I would love to have, but not willing to put the work into it that you have.:D

I guess the losers all had to buy your beer that evening?

18. CarlsbadRanger06

The scoring is based off of how many shots you can get in a certain amount of time (accurately, of course) on some targets.....

On others, it is the shot group (while shooting @ an 800M target.....

In the CQB "FIght and Hide", you are, on average, 500-750 meters away shooting at pop up targets..... THe object of this phase of the competition is to engage a target, and then move to another hide/cover position and engage that target before time passes and/or another target pops up (all this is controlled by the guy with the "God Gun"....

The last and final phase of competition is strictly a long range shoot. Targets start at 925M and go out to 1700M. Shooters/Spotters get 4 shots at each target:

Target A) 925M
    Target B) 1000M
    Target C) 1175M
    Target D) 1300M
    Target E) 1500M
    Target F) 1700M

On the final targets, teams only get 4 shots. IF they hit the target, they receive a point for each hit. For those teams that hit all targets, every time, they measure the groups.

I had a 3" group on Target A; 4" group on B, 4.25" group on C; 5" group on D; 6'' group on E; and I had a 7.75" group on F, but only hit it 3 times.

The 2nd place team was almost identical to myself and my spotter, but I hit Target F 3 times and they only hit once ;)

19. Vincine

Vincine New Member

only!?
    Jesus, Mary & Joseph!
    Congratulations! ​

And here I am 'window shopping' what tools might make the most sense for me to develop marksmanship up to 300 yards max.
    :eek:

20. CarlsbadRanger06

Lol

It's taken me, at LEAST, 100,000 shots to be able to shoot as well as I do now. I spend 12 hours a day, every day, at the range though....