Tompson Hawken 50cal. Advise

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Sniper03, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Looking for advise!

I received a Thompson Hawken Rifle in 50 Cal for a retirement present. It is a nice rifle. I am an avid center-fire rifle and pistol person. But know very little about the black powder weapon mentioned. What products do I need for it regarding projectiles, powder, caps and cleaning supplies. When I was much younger I had a Navy Model 36 cal black powder pistol I liked to shoot but the rifle is another issue. Please let me know what I need. I know there now is all kinds of new propellants maxi balls and etc. Thanks for your assistance.

:confused:Sniper 03

2. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

what are you going to use it for, paper punching, hunting ?. do you want to shoot black powder or black powder substitute? its more than likely has a 1 in 28 twist so you can shoot both sabots, minnie types and round balls, its a trade off twist that you can use different bullet types. it should have come with literature that tells you what you need if it didnt go to TC's site and they will send it to you.
    some of the things you will need
    powder- black or pyrodex
    lead balls or projectiles like sabots or bullets
    caps for your nipple
    a short starter to start your bullet or ball with
    a nipple pick- to clean your nipple out with
    a powder measure of some kind, adjustable is the best
    they have caps you can screw onto your powder that you can pour into your measure, or a traditional powder horn.
    patches for round balls if you shoot them, you put the patch over the bbl and seat a ball on top of it.
    cleaner, some of the substitutes can be cleaned with solvet that they have for them, you can use soapie water if you shoot black powder.
    cleaning patches, bruches etc to clean with.
    I know i am forgetting something so someone will jump in and they may have other ideas, I shoot traditonal caplock and flintlocks both with round balls only.
    Have fun with it as it will grow on you and you will love it, remeber to be safe do not smoke around it, black powder will explode !!!!!!!! not trying to scare you just a word of advice. let us know how you do or if I can help any PM me with questions, Im no expert but Ive been shooting it since 1969.

3. Sniper03

Whitesmoke,

Thank you very much for the information. At first I will probably begin by punching paper but will hope to utilize what I would use to hunt with, I am a rifle deer hunter and an accuracy freak! So I am always after the peak accuracy I can acquire as per my forum name. Thanks again and I will surely be in touch regarding the venture. The gave me some of the items that you mentioned with the rifle. I guess my biggest decision is black powder or optional propellants,

Thanks Again 03

4. PTsouthpaw

PTsouthpaw New Member

I use a T/C .50 cal for hunting deer. I use the Pyrodex pellets because it is easy to make up speedloaders (no measuring).

5. Sniper03

PT

What charge and bullet are you using?

6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

That's a 1:48 twist not 1:28:D. Caps will be #11. I like CCI best. I used 90 grs. of Pyrodex behind either a Lee REAL or a maxi ball but both require a short starter. Use real black if you can get it, forget the pellets. Loose powder is more reliable. Cleanup is with hot soapy water. No petroleum based lubes in the bore. They don't interact well with bp fouling and will leave a tarry residue that's hard to clean. A patch jag, patch worm and a ball puller for your ramrod are necessities. Never load directly from a flask. It only takes one spark to turn it into a grenade. You will have to experiment to find out what load your rifle likes. For me a patched round ball is more rewarding but its harder to work up a patch/powder/ball combo.

7. PTsouthpaw

PTsouthpaw New Member

We (my uncle, cousin, grandfather and I) use 90 gr of pyrodex (3 pellets). I'm not sure of the bullet we use at the moment, as I am on the road, but I will let you know when I get a chance. I believe they are one of the Thompson/Center brand bullets but I am not positive.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I shoot a 50 TC Renegade. Great rifles. I use about 85 gr of fffG black, and a .50 cal maxi-ball. I use Bore Butter lube, but Crisco also works. The TC seems to like Maxis more than round ball, but will do well with either. I do not shoot sabots- if over 300 grains of SOFT lead does not do the job, I'll quit. And as the man said, get the owner'd manual for your rifle.

9. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

+1 on what Hawg said.
    I had a Hawken TC .50 and took 3 deer with it. Mine had a1 in 48 twist and was preaty acurate ot to 50 yards -75 yards with PRB. I dont know how it worked with Mini balls or lee real bullits. The 1 in 48 was a compromise for PRB and Conical bullits.
    I sold Mine and got a Lyman Great Planes Rifle .54 that has a 1 in 60 twist for PRB only and benched it will clover leaf all day with 80 grns BP FF and up.
    I just love shooting Patched Round Ball and real Black Powder.
    F.K.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  10. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

Fisherking did you get the cap or flinter? I have three flinters, one cap in rifles and the cap and one flint are in 54 and the other two fliners are 62 caliber all round balls only. The two 62's are smoothbore, one is a custom and the other I built.

11. Sniper03

Thanks for the info! I will check on that owners manual. And have made a note of everything I need. Looking forward to shooting it. If you think of anything else let me know.

12. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

Actualy I have one of each both in .54 GPR and a rep 1851 .36 cal navey.
    F.K.

13. patret

patret New Member

very good post, The 1:48 twist is accurate for the rifle. My rifle has a 1:24 twist and will not shoot sabots accurately. I use a Thompson Center Maxi-Ball with 80 grains of Powdex RS or 65 grains of Powdex P. for the Thompson rifle. It is a good rifle. I don`t care for the pellets because I have experienced poor ignition.
    patret

14. brookline

brookline New Member

Hi I had a Thompson Center 50 cal for many years. I used Pyrodex RS instead of Black Powder. #13 Black powder solvent always swabbed the barrel very nicely. Used .490 lead balls. Prelubed patches. Usually found after a couple of shots, it didn't hurt to swab the barrel. Have fun.

15. richardnorton

richardnorton New Member

Hey I own several Hawkins and several Renegade, all but one are .50 cal, the odd one is a .54 cal, two are flints. I swapped the nipples on the cap lock rifles for nipples ment to use the musket caps, give you a much hotter spark and stops any worry about mis-fires with the regular caps (never had a mis-fire, but was always worried about one. A nipple wrench is another must, I always take off the nipple before cleaing, helps the water be pulled up the barrel easier. I always use Murphy Oil soap with warm water then use a compressor to blow out as much water as I can after then a coat of bore butter in the bore and a very light coat of oil. I buy my black powder o the net 50 lbs at a time and don't use any substitutes, besides I enjoy the odor of the burning bp. The owners manual for the rifles should give you lots of informtion, and Lyman makesa good black powder book, but the best thing is to find someone in the area that also shoots bp and they would be proud to teach you. The TC Hawken can take loadsas high as 110 grains of bp, but why, work up and find a good low recoil good load, and I like the TC maxiballs, I cast my own, from pure lead no alloy.

16. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Seasoning the bore with Bore Butter and switching nipples to accept the musket caps is a great upgrade. I used 370 grain Maxi Balls in my 50 cal Hawken. Many of my friends used the 44cal Hornady 240grain XTP sabots in their Hawkens with great results.

17. tdperry

tdperry New Member

No need to "season" the bore.... It's not a cast iron dutch oven/skillet. The season the bore lore is not applicable since the metals are nowhere near the same (cast iron needs seasoning). Since I don't shoot a percussion (rocklock) I can't comment on the nipple switch. Maxi Balls are a great projectile to use. I'm also having good luck with the 295 grain Power Belts and the 270 grain Power Belt Platinums loaded with 80gr Goex FFFg.