Today's 4 pistol groups

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Vincine, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Okay you guys. What do you think’s happening here:

Ruger MkIII 22/45, 4.5” barrel, standard sights, 7” paper plates with ¾” round colored stickers in the center, just over 20 feet, ten rounds per plate, all rounds CCI Mini Mags.

1) Both hands, Weaver stance, hits all over the plate;

2) Strong hand, bulls eye, hits all over the plate, but tighter;

3) Weak hand, bulls eye, hits all over the plate;

4) Both hands, Weaver stance again, first seven shots, 1” group, 3 shots touching the sticker, 1 shot dead center, 8th shot opens up to 1 & 1/4”, 9th shot opens up to 1 & 7/8ths", 10th shot hits on edge of plate.

What do you think is going on? Besides not shooting the first 30 rounds and the last three, anybody have any other ideas?

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You are stressing out. You settled down on the 3rd target but stressed out again on the last 3 rounds. Dont push the shots. Dont shoot if it does not feel or look right. Stop, relax and take a breath. Let the sights get back on target. It always amazed me how the sights, the target and the trigger would come together when you relaxed.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

When on the range, the max I load is 5 rounds for a string (unless I'm in competition).

This "forces" me to reload and provides a chance to relax and evaluate my performance.

Any more than 5, I tend to get too tense and things go to hell. Once things go to hell, it just seems to get worse.

4. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Hmmm. I've just been doing one 10 round magazine at a time for that same reason. I think you're right. I'll try going down to 5 rounds at a time

5. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

6. BigBritches

BigBritches New Member

My trick is kinda stupid but it works for me. If I am shooting with a rest I will put the gun up and take aim, close my eyes and sing a few lines of a favorite song, open my eyes, quick aim and shoot while still singing the song in my head. Same thing if I am standing just wait to pull it up or you will tire your arms too quickly. Funny but enough to distract my mind and not focus too hard.

Extra tip: When shooting with others this may get you odd looks...until targets are compared at the end!

7. cbibb

cbibb New Member

All the advice is good but try some standered velocity ammo also It might help I teach ccw classes and have 4h kids shooting the 22/45 and they shoot great and we use standered velocity Ruger use a small slide and functions with just about all ammo

8. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I feel a new thread coming on: "Which song is best to sing when shooting a handgun on the range?"

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Nearer my God to Thee.

10. BigBritches

BigBritches New Member

Ha Ha Love it!