Today was a great day!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by spittinfire, Apr 3, 2010.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

The women were out of town this weekend and since it was the opening day of turkey season my dad meets me at my place and we head out. In the blind by 0600 and by 0630 the turkey are talking. We watch 3 toms strut past us about 10 yards outside of good range so no shot was taken. All 3 were good size and each one showed us a full fan. We couldn't get them to turn our way so the hunt ended there.

After that we went out for some range time. He brought the Mohawk 48 that CA357 parted with a few weeks ago, his Single Six, his 357 and I brought my 629, Kimber and the 1300 I was hunting with.

Started the shooting with some clay birds and I got to try a new load which is now my offical target load. The Mohawk loved it and cycled great, soft and comfortable to shoot all day. After we each took a few turns it was time for the pistols. Dad starts shooting 38s while I decided to load my Kimber. My dad shot his first 1911 today...he liked it but he's a revolver guy and isn't really interested in changing. I put 100 rounds thru it.

Next came the 44 Mag....he shot one cylinder and called it a day. I asked him about it later and he said it was a very nice gun but unpleasant to shoot for fun. He thought it would be great for hunting or defense against bears but not for plinking. Personally, I enjoy it. My groups are getting smaller and since fixing the rear sight I'm no longer hitting high.

I wish I had some pictures for you guys but I don't....just a great day with my dad. I got to enjoy God's creations and some range time.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Excellent! It's good to hear that the Mohawk is working out well. :cool:

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Not only is it working well, it points great!! Stock is a hair long for dad but fits me perfect. I think he's going to get a shorter recoil pad for it.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Excellent! I knew it was going to be a good one. :cool:

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Sounds like the best kind of day....you and your Dad. Boy, do I miss that!

6. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Sounds like a memorable time. I wish my Dad and I had more time together as adults. I'm making sure I spend time with my son now that we're both grown up!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  7. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Sounds like you had a great day, spittin :D

And I bet being with your dad made it all the better; those are the memories that you will always have to treasure. Being ex-Brit army, I'm sure my dad would have been chuffed that I've taken up shooting, if he was still with us.

8. opaww

opaww New Member

A bad day hunting or at the range shooting is far better then any day with osamaobama in the racist house

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

That's what it's all about Wes, glad to hear of it! :)

10. doctherock

doctherock New Member

you crack me up opaw

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Sounds great; i wish i could get my Dad to go shooting with me. Maybe i'll offer to bring banana pudding next time.

12. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I just like hearing my name....

Seriously though, sounds like an amazing day