Today I mourn the passing of a beloved friend

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by matt g, Apr 17, 2009.

1. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Yesterday, my dog Squeeter had to be put down. At age 16, his mind was still sharp and his eye sight good, but his poor old skeleton just wasn't doing a very good job anymore. He was having a hard time getting up and laying down. Occasionally, he'd fall when he went from the carpet to the hardwood floor.

2 days ago, he became sick. He wasn't able to hold food down anymore.

Telling my wife to have him put to sleep was the hardest thing that I've ever done in my life. I fully understand that he is now in a better place. A place where there is no pain and there is no suffering. A place where sticks throw themselves and the water is always cool. It just doesn't make the heartache go away though.

Squeeter, 1993-2009:

[​IMG]

Rest in peace my brother. I'm sorry that I couldn't have done more for you.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That truly sucks Matt. I am sorry for you and your family - good thoughts and prayers coming your way brother. :(

Rest in Peace Squeeter

JD

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I'm so sorry for your loss Matt.

There is no fairness in the fact that man's best freind can't live as long as we do.

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Sorry for your loss. 16 good years though!

:(

5. matt g

I've literally had him for half of my life. I picked him up from some kids in front of a grocery store when I was 17, I'm 33 now. I've lost family members, but I've never felt this bad before.

To make matters worse, I was on the road when he got sick. I'll regret not being able to spend some time with him, in the days before his passing, for a long time to come.

6. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

DAMMIT! It just kills me to see anyone's pup die! I'm sure he had a good loving life and he'll be deeply missed. I'm so sorry,for you man.

I have 2 pups that are approaching that age...

7. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Man that sucks, sorry for the loss. I have felt you're pain and its one of the worst. That's truly losing you best friend :( But as you said he's in a better place now

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

When I had to put my beloved Rotty down a few years ago, I cried like a little girl. I am getting glassy eyed thinking about it. I feel you man. That sucks.

9. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

We had to put the Bud Dog down four years ago and I still haven't been able to replace him. Unconditional love and he was always happy to see me. I've never met a dog I didn't like and I wish I could say the same for most of the people I have met in my life-time. The picture of your dog and the memory of Bud brings tears to my eyes. Sorry Bro.

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I am deeply sorry for your loss.

11. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Matt G - Lost both of my dogs years ago and it is one of the toughest things I have ever gone through, including the loss of my Dad and my Wife's parents. I know they are animals, but they become a real part of your life and I haven't been able to replace those two pups since. Squeeter is running around doggie heaven doing doggie things and wondering where Matt is!!

12. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I am so sorry for your loss Matt. :(

Godspeed Squeeter.

13. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I've very sorry to hear that Matt. Nothing I can say will help, so I'll say nothing.:(

14. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I am so deeply sorry, Matt. I'm welling up now, cuz my guy is getting up there in years, and I know the pain is gonna be ridiculous when it's his time.

Gonna go hug him now.

God bless, my friend.:(

15. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

This has bothered me all day. Hope this helps.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE POEM

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

^^^ Benning, what you speak of is Bifrost, the Rainbow Bridge into Asgard.

Heimdal, the guardian of the Bifrost Bridge would allow warriors that had died in battle, or those that had been delivered by the Valykyries, to enter VALHALLA.

Heimdal was, allegedly, the most judgemental of the Gods.

Matt's dog ,Squeeter, will DEFINTELY meet him in ASGARD...

JD

17. dirtbikingdad

dirtbikingdad New Member

Sorry dude. I understand your pain because we have a dog that is beginning to have some hip problems and I am not looking forward to it getting worse as she gets older. Our little girl is part of the family! Hang in there, you're lucky to have had the time you had with your dear friend; possilbly your best friend.

18. propex

propex New Member

Matt I am sorry but this is just a fleeting pain compared to the years of love and affection you pal has given you. Unfortunetly this is the cost of that love.

19. matt g

Dogs love and respect unconditionally and selflessly.

People always have an ulterior motive and self preservation is almost always foremost.

The fact that dogs die is proof positive that if there is a god, he is a cruel and heartless being. If more people listened to dogs, there would be no war, no famine and no despair.

If you've never read it, you owe it to yourself to read Dean Koontz's One Door Away from Heaven. It's a story about how a little alien boy and his dog bring salvation to man kind, through the kid's ability to link peoples' minds to those of dogs. He does this because dogs, and dogs alone, have the ability to communicate with god.