Today i bought a mossberg 500 did i do good?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by hq357, Jul 3, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

Gooooodmorning! Yesterday i bought a mossberg 500 silver trigger combo at big 5 i spent 367$ including tax is this a good deal? It comes with 2 barrels i havent taken it to the trap/skeet range near my house the 28 inch barrel dosent accept chokes it has no threads the guy said the choke is built in the barrel but i dont really believe him, is my shotgun capable of breaking clay and skeet without a choke? Im going up against a remington 870 that has a modified choke let me know what you guys think thank you. :)

2. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I think that is a pretty good price for that gun. I am not sure about your choke question but it sounds like the barrel resembles the older design of shotguns where the choke is made directly into the barrel. In that design the choke is set from the factory and can only be widened.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Yes, shotgun barrels can have the choke machined into the barrel itself it's just a narrowing of the bore near the muzzle. When they bore the barrel from the rear they just have the boring bit narrower at the end, or they have formed the barrel with a narrower muzzle end than the rest of the bore. The barrel should be marked for the choke that it is machined to. Extra Full, Full, Mod, IC, skeet, etc. Prior to screw-in or screw-on chokes, this is how all choked barrels were done.

4. SSGN_Doc

Oh, and congrats on finally getting your Mossy.

5. hq357

hq357 New Member

Is it safe to shoot slugs, sabot/rifled slugs and buckshout through it? Can i shoot pretty much any kind of ammo? I think its a modified choke built into the barrel im not sure i will see when i fet home from work. :)

6. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Well, we have finally come full circle on the shotgun choke issue and knowledge or lack there of. You older guys know what I mean.
    ct

7. SSGN_Doc

You can shoot pretty much anything through the improved cylinder barrel. O wouldn't recommend sabot slugs through a smooth bore if you are going for the best in accuracy. Sabot slugs are meant to be shot through a rifled barrel. hollow base slugs or Brenneke slugs will work fine in smooth bore. Even a modified choke should allow rifled slugs to shoot safely. The rifling lands on a slug are there to allow the slug to compress a bit if there is a choke. When in doubt, read your owners manual. I just wouldn't shoot solid copper or hard slugs through a choked barrel that is any tighter than Improved cylinder.

8. indy36

indy36 New Member

I seriously doubt the barrel is choked for any type of clay shooting. Clay shooting is sort of special (meaning not many people do it) so a Mossy 500 barrel coming factory with a constriction of 'skeet' or even 'improved cylinder' is doubtful. I'm betting it came as 'full' and that's not going to lead to high scores in skeet or trap. If you can buy a shotgun with a threaded barrel then you should, as a general rule...that most find out about AFTER buying one that isn't, myself included. This is the only way to get good multiple uses from one shotgun. Can you shoot clays with a 'full' choke, sure, but prepare to be frustrated.

9. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I beg to differ on at least one issue you bring up, and that is the comment that a full choke is not good for trap. On the contrar, a full choke is great for trap, not skeet, but trap. In fact, most fixed choke trap guns are choked full.
    ct

10. SSGN_Doc

The Mossberg 500 combo I got came with an 18" improved cylinder barrel, and a 28" modified choke barrel. Not a clay competitor by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm able to break clays pretty regularly for not having a skeet specific choke.

11. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

in have a mossburg 500 with a 28 in full choke it stamped on the barralo next to the gage size and shell leanth you can shoot slugs thure a full choke but I wouldent recommend it buck and bird shot no problem

12. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

The nice thing about a Mossy 500 is that there is a huge amount of accessories that have accrued to it over the years of production. Mossberg has a variety of barrels available for the guns right out of their catalog in many lengths and chokes so you can select what you want to do with your shotgun and modify it to perform that task. There is even a company that makes a kit that lets the Mossy use Saiga 12-gauge box magazines (and drums!) for that "zombie-apocalypse" some worry about! I have mine set up with an ATI tactical stock, side-saddle spares, barrel shroud and a Pentax reflex sight. It is held in a "Gun-Grabber" mount just behind my bedroom door and I really don't worry about intruders in my home. Especially since I have a choice of two .45 ACP 1911's to assist me in the trip from bed to Mossberg!
    P.S. I call it the Career Councilor because it does such a fine job of pointing out errors in vocational choices!

13. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The reason most shotgun combo packages come with multiple barrels is because either the length of barrel is different or each barrel has a different choke to change the gun to hunt different game. Each barrel will be marked with gauge, maximum shell length and whether it can handle magnum rounds, and the choke. The barrel is stamped with all the information you possibly need. Check your users manual for ability to shoot slugs.

Mossberg has so many options you can buy separately that I'm sure there is a skeet barrel you could purchase to make it a specialty skeet gun.

14. hq357

hq357 New Member

That sounds very nice! Can you post a pic off your mossy set up behind the door with the gun grabber mount so i can get an idea? I have mine in my closet but i like your idea! I think i might just do that! :) Does it conceal your mossy? im going to conceal my guns because i dont have enough space for another safe.

15. hq357

hq357 New Member

Thanx guys i looked at the barrel and it says chambered for 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells 12 guage 28 inch (modified choke), and the other barrel says 18 inch cylinder bore right now i have the 28 inch barrel on there that has the modified choke built into the barrel its set up for clay can i expect good patterns for trap and skeet? Ive heard by shooting slugs and buckshots through a modified choke it will widen up your pattern and i wont be able to hit anything is it true? I will read my manual and tell you guys what it says.

16. hq357

hq357 New Member

image-524684509.jpg

Here is Mr mossy!! :D

17. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Shooting buckshot and/or slugs will NOT damage your barrel. Improved cylinder is generally considered the optimum smoothbore choke for rifled slugs. If you ever get serious about shooting slugs, invest in a rifled barrel and use saboted slugs.

You can check the pattern on your Mossy fairly simply. Use a 4'x4' sheet of cardboard and shoot a few targets at various distances, 20 yards, 30 yards, 35 yards, 40 yards, etc. This is an excellent method to learn how your shotgun pattern changes at various distances. Oh, different ammo brands/types will pattern uniquely with your gun.

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=290

18. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Great advice, Gator! It is possible that a choke can be "widened" by shooting slugs, but you'd have to shoot thousands of rounds. Don't worry about buckshot, but if you can, use improved cylinder for slug shooting until you can get a slug barrel. Gator's advice for pattern testing is a good idea for EACH barrel and each different round you put through it. It is the only way you will find the best patterning round for YOUR shotgun! If you change manufacturer, shot size, powder charge or case length, you should check the patterning before using it to hunt or for competition.

19. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

There is a trade-off you have to consider between concealment and accessibility. I chose accessibility but cover my shotgun with an old cotton pillowcase to protect it from dust which also provides some disguise. It is kept chamber-empty with a full tube of field-shot and the sidesaddle full of 00-buck. At close range, birdshot is very effective without over-penetration and I have the Hydra-shok rounds on the receiver if I have to deal with a particularly stubborn knucklehead. The sling carries 21 rounds of mixed ammo and allows an additional "grabbing" place plus it allows me to carry the gun with me while filling my hands with a handgun (1911, naturally). I have tried to think this through carefully, remembering the old proverb "If you find yourself in a fair fight then you didn't plan carefully enough". I don't intend on being in a fair fight!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. hq357

hq357 New Member

image-3635461117.jpg

I think im just going to hide this in my room and cover it with a pillow case! :D thats a very nice set up! You have i might do just that too!