To trade or not to trade

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Judge, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Judge

Judge New Member

I have a Series 70 Colt Government Model with an epoxy coating baked on the externals and it's nice looking, but I only shoot it once every 5 years or so. while it's the only .45 I have, I prefer prefer 9mm for a variety of reasons. If I keep the Colt, then I will always have a nice gun I don't use. If I sell the or trade the Colt, I can get another Sig. I will note I already own one Sig 9mm, and multiple glocks in 9mm, and other handguns as well in 9mm. So, keep or ditch the basically unused Colt?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would say keep it.
    The recent ammo shortage proved that not all ammo is available in all areas.
    Should you need a .45, then you have one.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Judge,'

I would like to see some pictures of your 1911 regarding the epoxy coating?
    However since it seems you have plenty of 9mm pistols it would make sense to me to hang on to the 45 ACP in the 1911. The Colt Series 70 is a nice pistol even though it does not have a firing pin block as I remember. They did put one in the Series 80s as I recall. I would suggest keeping it unless you are looking for a different model that you could conceal better (as a compact) than your other 9mms. But I sure like the 1911s!

4. Judge

Judge New Member

Let me see if I can figure out how attach pictures. My Colt use to be a dark bluish color but once coating was applied it turned its color to black. I like the black color and really kinda like how it just seems easy to keep outside of gun cleaner looking.

5. Judge

Judge New Member

Hopefully I attached the picture correctly. Guess I'm about to find out.

Attached Files:

6. Judge

Judge New Member

This is the other side of the Colt. I kinda like being able to attach pictures.

Attached Files:

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

Nice lookin gun. I'd keep it. I also agree with keeping at least some caliber diversity, for the reason already stated.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

This speaks to your taste as a shooter VS collector.

If you're asking whether you should trade it, my advice

would be the next 9mm you want to buy, ask yourself

"Am I going to shoot this?"

Personally, while I like having a nice collection,

I have little patience for anything I don't shoot.

Many collectors are worried more about having a

fine collection, they are not concerned with shooting

that much.

Your Model 70 looks as though it would be a fine addition

to any collection. Best of luck on the trade.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

For gawgds sake KEEP THE COLT! Unless I can have it :eek:

10. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

Not sure just how the epoxy coating is going to effect the value, but it most likely wont raise it. Personally, Id keep it. But its not my choice.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

my take on it is i would rather have a gun i want to shoot than one im not interested in shooting.

12. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

15158_10152083149823475_1160583678_n.jpg
    don't let that colt get away from you!!!

13. AR10

AR10 New Member

The general anti pack rat rule of thumb is, if you do not use something, sell it.

Keep a log book of things you sell, so years later, you can refer to it when you wonder where my? ?? Is?

14. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

From the look of the gun in the pics the hammer, GS, and the trigger are after market parts. The gun would be worth more with the original parts. If you have them put them back in if you decide to trade.

15. Judge

Judge New Member

You think I could get an even trade for the gun as is?....the colt for a sig m11-A1 or because of modifications do you think I'll have to come out of pocket with some cash?

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

MSRP on the Sig M11-A1 is $1125. see about having the Colt appraised and see what it's worth first. even if the Colt appraised for a certain value, a gun dealer isn't going to give that in trade, because he has to be able to sell and make some profit.

my best guess, is you might have to come up with some cash difference, but i don't know how much.

17. Seiples

Seiples New Member

keep it. I have a tough time getting rid of guns. Plus 1911s are fun to shoot

18. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Buds has the Sig M11-A1 listed for $881

19. dlh2689

dlh2689 New Member

If you don't want the Colt I'll be happy to take it off your hands. :)