To those on a tight budget....how are you prioritizing?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by StainlessSteel215, Dec 5, 2012.

1. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

If I knew back around 2005 that this "hobby" would turn into the biggest addiction of my life, I seriously may have re-considered this lifestyle!

Jokes aside....how do some of you like me, who are on a tight budget, save and assign money towards guns/ammo/supplies/accessories? How disciplined are you and do you follow your own rules?

I need a bit of help in this area, because Ive broken my own rules quite a few times and sometimes find myself feeling guilty after a major ammunition or gun purchase. Im certainly not broke, but that money should absolutely be tucked away into savings for more serious financial purposes.

I'm finally at a place however that I'm 100% happy with in terms of my pistol collection. I was eyeballing the Glock 30SF for an alternate CCW gun for quite soemtime and just couldnt resist the urge to buy it....so I did. I now have (2) 9mm's and (2) 45acp's. 2 Glocks and 2 1911's and I'm happier than a pig in s---! I also have an acceptable supply of ammo, for now.

So, moving ahead I think Ive developed a system that I SWORE to myself I would abide by from now on. Its only fair to my wife & family to carry out this promise.....which is saving approx $50/mo and restricting myself to ONE gun purchase a year.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. racer_x

racer_x New Member

I buy 1 or 2 guns a year. and save change for ammo an whatnot. I buy a couple boxes a year for my hunting needs, bulk pack 22s for fun and teaching the kids.

Sticking to it is my problem lol

3. StainlessSteel215

I should also add I'm hitting the range 1-2 times a month averaging 4 boxes of 50rounds each trip. I need to now spread this out and treat it as a reward to myself, not a right.

I think I'll restrict it to ONE range trip every other month.....4 boxes of ammo each trip.

These 2 rules should cut down my expenses a ton. Its my favorite hobby hands-down but right now its eating me alive!

4. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I pull $100 out of my paycheck for whatever I decide to spend it on. Sometimes I will save it for a gun but I have been stocking reloading components lately. I really don't have to many other hobbies but if I decide I want something else, I take it from my " gun budget". Next purchase is a Mathews bow

5. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I have plenty of weapons, I am spending most of my available gun money on ammo and maybe some reloading equip.

6. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

I personally envy your decision to do this. I'm gonna start cutting down too. I've purchased six guns in the past 6 months. I always find great deals but still.

7. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

It's hard. But I was lucky to get some Overtime at work during my birthday and I got my dad to go halfers on a marlin 795. That tells how how tight my budget is. And right now I have a 1903 Springfield on lay away. And I surprised my wife let me because we really can't afford it. But I've been working 7 days a week since October. These are the first guns I've got in 3 years.

8. potentialglock

I think I have one more gun purchase I wanna make after Christmas. But after that I'm limiting myself to $100 worth of ammo a month. If that.

9. StainlessSteel215

Its hard finding that thin line between:

"I work my butt off and I deserve it"

and "these things are costing me on average $600 every 3 months + ammo and I dont REALLY need another one"

I do feel somewhat guilty about my recent Glock purchase so close to Christmas, specially since my wife & I agreed to cut down on spending on our huge family. Im not in a financial position at 30 years old to be making any more gun purchases for a while...and need to conserve on ammo. I've had plenty of practice and I'm a great shot with all my guns....now its time to cut back big time and use them for safety. I think for those on a budget, one gun a year for $600 is a smart move....and if I can hold back and skip a year I'll have $1200 to throw down on a gun and stay WELL within my budget :)

10. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Buy a .22 if you don't have one already. Use that as your primary range gun, it will save you lots of ammo costs.

11. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

Since I only have one hobby, I put aside $200/paycheck and then decide what it is I want. Sometimes I buy ammo, or accessories, and other times I save for a really nice pistol that I would like to have in my collection. Still waiting on a Kimber SS Pro Raptor II that I have on lay-a-way at the LGS. Thats the beauty of the LGS I frequent. :D

12. potentialglock

Well my problem is I end up blowing at least half my paycheck in one weekend on ammo and range fees

13. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I'd go nuts if I only got to the range every other month. I'd rather go every month and shoot 100 rnds. It's also easier to keep your skills sharp.

It's another part of the hobby but I got into reloading. So far it has helped me keep my ammo costs down a little. I do tend to shoot a little more, but I am saving near 50% per box of 50 on .45ACP. Maybe you just need to start reloading:D

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Money is very tight for me now. I have not gone shooting in months. My priority right now is paying the bills. I had a fund going because I want a Henry Lever but it's been spent trying to stay afloat. I probably could go shooting and shoot the ammo I have but I wouldn't be able to replace it right away and I don't want to be left with little or no ammo in my home.

I'm sure it's the funding is different for different people. It all depends on each individual's income and outgo. Some earn way more than others and could afford to buy guns on occasion and stock up on ammo. Some are from two income households, some from one income households. Having children might decrease the 'hobby money' budget. I am always amazed when someone goes into a gun store to buy a gun and another gun catches their eye so they walk out with two. *envious*

15. potentialglock

I want to get into it. But the startup coat for all the equipment is high

16. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Can you buy one piece at a time?

17. StainlessSteel215

Great input guys, keep it coming I think most of us here can benefit from sharing trade secrets. I may look into reloading as well....have a great bench setup in my garage that would allow for this

18. potentialglock

The only bench available to me is in my dads shop. Sawdust everywhere.

19. potentialglock

Can I reload inside as long as I keep powder locked away?

20. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I got an old desk at a yard sale that works well. I think I gave the guy $20 and he helped me load it up.