To Stipple..Or Not to Stipple?

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by Corndork2, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Corndork2

Corndork2 New Member

Oh the debate -- To Stipple..Or Not to Stipple?

I personally have Stippled my Magpul AR Magazines and love that feeling... and I am seriously debating whether to stipple my M&P back-strap or not.

I know some of you guys have stippled your M&P... how do you like it? And please, lets see some pictures of some good M&P Stippling!

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I just dont like doing the back straps especially if you happen to be wearing gloves , I never feel like the gun is in the same spot with gloves on , bare skin seems fine to me just not gloves .

3. j4454

j4454 New Member

I say stipple. And def the back straps first. If ya don't like it just buy a new one.

4. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

That is exactly why I don't recommend stippling. It's a permanent kind of thing. If you really are having problems or concerns about your grip not having enough friction, grip tape is a cheap and reversible option.

My personal opinion on it is that the material and texturing of the M&P is very good for maintaining a good solid grip even in less than ideal circumstances. Much more-so than say, a nickel plated 1911 with smooth grips. I'm not knocking 1911's at all, I'm just making the point that the manufacturer has done a good job of making sure that you have excellent gripping surfaces right out of the box.

5. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what is stippling?

6. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

And knowing is half the battle.

8. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

[​IMG]

Sorry...I couldn't help myself:p

EDIT: Awe mountainman..you beat me to it:(

9. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

I purchased pre-stippled backstraps from G&R Tactical for my M&P's as I am not brave enough to do it on my own. Just the same I am very pleased with them and they do make a difference when your hands get sweaty.

10. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Hahahahaha nice one, i havent seen that one

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

That's ok. Yours was better.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Try grip tape first to see if you really like the extra traction. If you end up replacing the grip tape because you like it, then it's time to go ahead and make it permanent and go ahead and stipple it. I've done my Glock 17 and 19. I did the 17 first. I would recommend leaving the highest parts of teh backstrap free of stippleing, to prevent clothing from sticking if you carry concealed. A shirt can kind of grab on a bit and not slide over the pistol grip as freely, which can cause more printing issues.

Down here with the humidity, the stippling was the way to go though,because sweaty polymer can get slick. If you go with light short touches you get a shallower stipple that is more like grip tape, and you can go with heavier presses and longer contact to get more agressive stippling like what is on the front strap. I also chopped the grip a bit shorter on this 17 so it will take G19 mags.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  13. Corndork2

Corndork2 New Member

I stippled my backstrap last night, and LOVE it. I will not be stippling anything else on the firearm though.

14. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I have stippled synthetic (plastic) grip. I used a dremel tool with a small ball diamond tip/fluted tip.

It was quite easy to maintain a 'random' pattern. There is a thread on using a wood-burner / soldering iron as well.

I had carried the 469 for so long, that the original stippled surface was worn smooth, the stipple not only restored the grip, but looked nice as well. Try it on scrap first to get a hang of speed, pressure and motion.

15. Corndork2

Corndork2 New Member

I used a soldering iron to stipple