To soldiers past and present.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by redrover3569, Nov 3, 2010.

1. redrover3569

redrover3569 New Member

I am new here and I have noticed that there are a number of soldiers and veterans that are members of this forum. I would like to send out a BIG THANKYOU. I do not care if it's been said a million times. As long as we have a free country, and those who would fight for it, this can never be said enough. I have never served myself. However a man or woman who would willingly give of themselves, through sweat, tears, pain, blood, lim, and life if need be, deserves the utmost respect of anyone who lives within these borders and you will always have mine.

Whether or not I agree with the directive of the soldier is beside the point. A soldier is given orders to carry out and is duty bound to do so. That is a fact that many remain willingly ignorant of in our country and chastise the soldier while apllauding his commander. Either way, I respect the one wearing the boots who would walk through hell so that I may have my freedom. I will not simply say thanks for your service because it's more than that. To give up your own freedom for a time in exchange for duty and service to your country shows the character of a man or woman. You must have the character or the service will be lacking and for this I solute you.

2. 753X0

753X0 New Member

Thank you Red Rover, I appreciate that very much.
    I'm going to forward this to my uncle, (he was awarded the Silver Star, and received a field commission to Captain). He will appreciate your kind words, as do I.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

We all welcome the appreciation but not all of us were soldiers. On this forum we have soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines...

4. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

...and we all took the oath to "protect and defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic."

Welcome to the forum, Red, and thank you for your support of active duty and veteran personnel.

5. GNLaFrance

GNLaFrance New Member

I'm proud of my service and appreciate the thanks, but every time some kind soul mentions the gratitude we all owe to veterans, the first thing I think is, "I wish I could have done more."

Sorry, I'm a bit down today. Thanks, redrover, for the thought.

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Took the same oath again when I became a DoD civil servant...

7. CGO

CGO New Member

I am married to a Vietnam vet ( Seabee )and two sons that are Marines.

I want to say that I am really proud of our men and women in uniform. They have given up so much to serve. And so many have lost their lives for doing so. Bless you all.....
    Thank you!!!

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Thank you, Redrover. Semper Fi!

9. redrover3569

redrover3569 New Member

My apologies sir. I used soldier as a default term. I meant no disrespect to any branch and the post was meant for all who have, are, or will serve this country. To me the term soldier is a reference to the character. All take an oath to protect, you only carry it out in different ways.

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

No offense taken by me at all as I was just an Air Force desk jockey. To avoid ruffling feathers, I always just use the term veteran...

11. redrover3569

redrover3569 New Member

You still are doing more. Every time you share that kind of sentiment or talk about your time in the service and what it meant to you. You may plant that same seed of character in tomarrows soldier and not even know it.

12. redrover3569

redrover3569 New Member

You still took the oath with pride, twice, to a country where many are ungreatful. Those who don't realize that the only reason they have the freedom to be ungreatful is because of people like you.

13. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Redrover.

Thank you.

But,

I feel guilty when someone thanks me for my service.
    I served my three years from 9-57 to 9-60,
    what is called The Cold War Era.
    Little over a year at WSPG-WSMR,
    Little over a year at Dahn Germany.
    The only time I was shot at was in training.
    I feel guilty because most of my friends are Viet Nam Vets.
    One spent his time in the middle of a secure air base.
    One spent a few years as a guest of those people in one of their camps.
    And it was not for R & R.
    And my Marine buddy ..never mind.

14. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

So did all those who took office in Washington. Too bad they don't seem to honor that oath.

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

So true, so true...

16. redrover3569

redrover3569 New Member

I know, I know. I just hope that if the s#*t ever hits the fan that our men and women in the military will remember their oath above the indoctrination to follow orders.

17. redrover3569

redrover3569 New Member

If you can tell me that you would have done any less than your friends if the need had called then I will withdraw it. Otherwise it stands.

18. DiabloMan

DiabloMan New Member

19. DinkyDauDon

DinkyDauDon New Member

Redrover,
    The sentiment is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010