To Snake or Rod?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Wheelspin, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Wheelspin

Wheelspin New Member

Looking for some advice or recommendations from you more experienced gun owners about cleaning a rifle, do you prefer a bore snake or the rod, brass and patch method?

I need to pick up some supplies so I can keep my new rifle as clean on the inside as it is on the outside so what should I pick up?

Do I just go for one of the many kits that contain the rods, brass, mop and patch etc, or am I better off with a bore snake and the cleaning fluid, if so which do you recomend?

Advice appreciated.

If it helps the rifle is a .17HMR

oh and I already know WD40 is a no no. Picked that up pretty quickly reading this forum :p

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i use both. the rods are good for running solvent soaked patch up the bore. the snakes are fanatastic for follow ups and work exceptionally well on rifles like 10/22's that have to be cleaned from teh muzzle saves wear ont he crown.

snakes are bad for chamber cleaning your still gonna need a rod and chamber brush but they are real labor savers on the bore itself.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Bore snakes are WORTHLESS IN MY EYES.

they are only good for one draw then all your doing is smearing dirt and grim in your action, chamber and barrel. Bore snakes don't fit tight in the bore to help get the lead or copper out of the groves nor do they scrub at all. I had one used it once then I went back and check it with a rod and jag I got 10 times the amount of fouling and grim out of my barrel.

Get a good quality one piece rod for cleaning at home and get a patch puller for in the field.

If you use on of the following devices then you don't have to clean your gun from the muzzle. They cost more but they are worth every penny over one of them worthless no good filthy snakes.

Patch Worm or Otis.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Don't worry,Tango is just a little biased about alot of things.
    Boresnakes are great to use in the field/range if your firearm gets dirty from shooting too many rds,but there is nothing like a good cleaning with brushes,bore cleaner,and patches. To really clean your gun completely you will also need to learn how to field stip it so you can also clean all the gunk out of the action,bolt,and trigger assembly and you can't do that with a boresnake.

5. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

I snake at the range and rod at home...

6. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

Bore snakes are great in the field where there's no room for a cleaning kit, but to properly clean I say a one piece cleaning rod is a must. Also beyond field stripping a detailed breakdown every so often is needed to truly maintain a firearm. This too requires more cleaning implements such as chamber brushes, dental picks, channel/action brushes, etc.

7. od green

od green New Member

If ya need a rod you are to late cause if ya use a snake you are to late. Granted rod's rule but snakes are great.

8. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

good gawd, I cant believe Im going to say this but.... +1

You wouldn't wipe yer crack with the same paper. Boresnake is the same idea.

9. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

I use a plastic brush with copper cleaner, let it sit for no more than 15 minutes, then follow with a patch until copper free. I don't use too strong of a copper cleaner all the time but will use a strong one every once in a great while just in case I am missing some.

A plastic brush instead of a patch because you need air to get to the copper also, or the solvent will not work as well. At least that is what I was told and it works well for me.

10. Jess

Jess New Member

my hubby cleans our weapons and he uses both. (I am QUITE capable I just work smarter not harder) He has some ultimate system down. I know he uses the bore snake in the middle of the season when its only 24 hours between time in the woods shooting.

11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Get an otis system. It is small enough for the field/ range, and all the brass attachments fit a rod for home use. The coated cables it comes w/ allow you to clean towards the muzzle on semi's so you are not dragging crap into the action.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Look how many times will you run a dirty patch down your bore? NEVER. You use a patch and throw it away. Why on earth would you run a dirty bore snake down your barrel?

Bore snakes are for people who are too lazy to clean a gun the right way. If you are that lazy why even shoot.

Sorry I can't stand by and let this go on.

BAN BORE SNAKES.

13. Jess

Jess New Member

hush tango, sometimes I wish I could wad my panties up and shove 'em in your mouth.

14. Wheelspin

Wheelspin New Member

Thanks for all the replies, knew I could count on y'all.

I can see both sides to the bore snake debate but Tango does make a good point. Surely after one pass it will contaminated with crud and dirt that can be spread further rather than removed in the first place? Maybe for one pass in the field to keep you shooting a little longer okay, but I like the look of that Patch Worm, think I'll have to get myself one of those and some extra patches for range cleaning. Then the rod, brush, mop deal for the proper clean up in the mans room downstairs. Basement guys, not what some of you were thinking! :p

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

snakes work fine. a bore doesnt have to be spotless and eaten off of to be clean. most of us are not anal retentive benchrest shooters who clean a weapon for an hour after each shot. bore snakes work best when combined with one piece rods and regular brushes. they do most of the work loosening the crud so one or two swipes with a patch gets it all clean.

you buy a new brush each time you use one for every swipe in the barrel with a brush?? they get just as dirty or do you clean each bristle after ever swipe??

its a tool like any other proper use for what it is designed for.

me i dont like sitting there swabbing a barrel with patch after patch when i can run a solvent patch let it sit then run a snake through 3 or 4 times then a patch and i got a clean barrel.

saves on patch use and like all things they cost money. savings in using a snake to knock stuff loose over time is hefty as i used to go through bags and bags of cleaning patches. now its like a year or more between bags where i used to buy 30 or 40 bags a year. snakes worthless?? no not by any stretch.

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I do clean my brush after I use it. Once i scrub the bore I flush it with gun scrubber or break clean. Then I put it back clean with patches and then do it all over again.

My rimfires and my 308 never see brushes though.

17. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I use both. Snake for quick cleaning in the field, rod for a more thorough cleaning at home. If you use a rod, make sure it is a one piece, carbon fiber, and insert it into the bore from the breech. Especially with a .17, there isn't a lot of room for the rod to flex, so care must be used to avoid damaging the lands & grooves. Joints on 3 piece rods can flex and gouge.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  18. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Jess,

You and I think alike. He cleans our weapons and I get paid to clean the ones at work. :D

19. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

HAHAHAHA very well put.