To shoot or not to shoot...

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by 243, Dec 31, 2013.

1. 243

243 New Member

I recently inherited a Colt New Frontier Buntline .22/Mag from my dad who passed away in May. It appears the .22 LR cylinder has been used, but the Mag cylinder has not. It's not a cheap gun nor is it worth thousands, but it is a nice gun overall and I intend on keeping it. So to get to my question, should I shoot it or should I leave it in it's current condition?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

The intrinsic value of the pistol having been handed down to you from your late father will always trump the dollar value the market may place on the gun.

Shoot it! Maintain it well and hand it down to the next generation at the appropriate time.

My condolences to you and your family for your loss. God bless you all.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Not many people use the 22 wmr cylinder a lot. 22 wmr ammo costs about the same as 9mm FMJ ammo. The new 22 wmr ammo that has fast burning powder for a pistol is pretty good. Maxi mags, Remington hunting ammo are made for a rifle. Hornady pistol ammo is the best on the market right now. The hornady 22 wmr pistol ammo rivals a 380 in energy on the target.

4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

5. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

yes, shoot it after all that wood be fun.

6. 243

243 New Member

I like what I'm reading. Not that it would have made a difference, because I intended on shooting it anway!:D The first person I showed and asked the same question, he said he wouldn't shoot it. After I thought about it for a while, he's got plenty of guns, none that he would ever sell unless the offering price was astronomical. Neither here, nor there, I just wanted validation. Looks like I need to find some ammo!
    BTW, thanks for the recommendations John_Deer.

Thanks,
    Steve

7. 243

243 New Member

And next time I'll try to post in the correct forum. DOH!

Steve

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

In my world guns are worthless if your scared to shoot them

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

Good choice on shooting.

That's what its for!

10. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I'm in the shoot it,take care of it,pass it to the next generation camp.

11. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Shoot it and enjoy it.

12. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

Shoot it & enjoy Cliff:)

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

clean it, oil it and maintain it after shooting. take care of it, enjoy it and the memories of your father and pass it on to the next generation of shooters in your family.

14. BRL

BRL Member

...:rolleyes:

Heck yea go shoot it and enjoy it! :D

Sorry for your loss.

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I agree, respectfully, your old man(God rest his soul) was

probably a shooter, and would probably want you to

use it.

16. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

You can also shoot 22WRF rounds in the 22 Mag cylinder for an intermediate load.

17. 243

243 New Member

Holster

Well now that I've got 'er sighted in I'm looking for a hip holster. Having a difficult time finding one locally. They've got holsters for everything except revolvers with 7 1/2"+ barrels. As far as leather or synthetic what's the pros and cons of each?

Thanks,
    Steve

18. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

That was exactly why I auctioned off my namesake WF3 a few years ago at Cowans. I fired it many times when I was young and dumb but found out before I broke, its better not used than damaged beyond repair. I really dont need a weapon worth that kind of loot in a safe in my house where nobody will ever appreciate it but me and a forever cold gun/ Relic is made for a museum not my gun cabinet!

Sounds like the pistol here is a shooter not a wall hanger or vault piece, shoot and enjoy it then pass it on!

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have started using uncle mikes holsters for my revolvers with blade type sights. I don't like paying over $100 for a "custom" leather holster to have to take it to a local saddle shop to have it notched so the holster won't break the blade on my sights.

20. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

By your own admission it has already been shot. Shooting a 22 has little or no effect on the life of the barrel. Handling will but it was made to shoot. Enjoy it as your Dad did. Keep it clean and well maintained and its value will only increase.