To scope or not to scope....

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by NymphoGnome, Mar 2, 2010.

1. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

So I just recently acquired a Marlin 795, I have yet to fire. I am planning on going thursday to the indoor range. I would like to get an inexpensive scope (more than likely the $30-$40 Bushnell at Walmart) and I realize inexpensive/cheap + Good Scope = laughable.

So my question is, if I buy an inexpensive scope from walmart is it just going to crumble to dust in my hands next month? Or Should I just see how I like my stock sights?

2. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Those Bushnell rim-fire scope are a pretty fair value and you can't go wrong for fifty bucks. It's not like you going to shoot a speck of do do off a flies butt at 300 yards with a 22 anyway. I'd go for it. Joe

3. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

As long as I can put a hole between the eyes of my zombie target, I am happy.

4. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

There ain't a Zombie alive, I mean dead, that could survive that combination.

5. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

I don't know, the people that watch Keith Olbermann are still moving. :D

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Go for it

I've got a $500.00 Leupold VX 3 on my deer rifle and it's worth every penny. But it has a specific purpose, taking down white tailed bucks in low light conditions. The price you pay for any scope has to do with a couple of factors but it's mainly about light transmission and lens clairity and with scopes you get what you pay for...But that does not mean a $40.00 Bushnell isn't sufficient for a .22
    If your target shooting in good light that Bushnell will do you just fine.

7. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I've never put a scope on any of my .22s, but I use them mainly to practice for speed/mechanics. If you're using your .22 to practice for a similar center-fire rifle then I would set it up accordingly.

Hunter Joe your avatar is extremely disturbing I can hardly look at it. :eek:

8. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Diggs, I had a bug up my a$$ this morning about closed minded people and was feeling a little ugly inside. Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you.

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

For a plinker them bushnell reimfire scopes will do you just fine.

I have a scope on all but one of mine. I have a new addition to my rimfire stable and I need to figure out a good scope for it.

10. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I've never seen that one. They did a pretty good job with it though. Straight out of a horror flic. :)

11. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

A scope on a 22 deosn't have to endure much if any recoil. A $40 scope should be just fine. If you are using see through mounts (which I don't advise) keep the objestive as small as you can. This will keep the scope closer to the barrel as possible, which is adviseable.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Someone still watches Olbermann??

There are plenty of good rimfire scopes out there.

I got this Simmons for ~$40 and I'm happy with it.

[​IMG]

Check out SWFA, they have some great prices on riflescopes:

SWFA Riflescopes Simmons Rifle Scopes Simmons .22 Mag Rifle Scopes

13. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Yeah, I had a Michael Jackson avatar photo for awhile. Everyone asked me to change it. Yours is worse!

14. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Your just jealous.

Diggs, that is actually a GIF image, I can send via E-Mail to you. The head moves around and gets bigger and then smaller. It's quite insane.

15. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I would highly recommend getting a .22 scope such as Cane posted. The reason is if you put a "regular" scope on it you'll have excessive parallax at .22 ranges. Most scopes meant for centerfire rifles are adjusted at the factory to be parallax free at 100-150 yards. .22 scopes are adjusted to be parallax free at 50 yards. A way to get around it is to buy a scope with an adjustable objective such as a 4x-12x.

16. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

I do like that Simmons, and can get one at dicks for $35, My rifle bag is too small to keep the scope on so I will have to keep taking it off and putting back on, is that a problem?

17. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Your going to have to use detachable rings or your going to lose zero every time you remove the scope. It may be cheaper to buy a case made for a scoped rifle.

18. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I'd recommend you get a scoped rifle case as well. You're going to lose zero by taking the scope off. Once you get the scope in perfect zero-leave it on and tight.