To reload or not reload

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by bub4570, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

Bub, where are our manners? welcome to the forum. glad to have you join up! stop over in the Introductions Section and let everyone say a proper hello to you!

again welcome aboard sir! :)

bub4570 likes this.
  2. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Active Member

In a hunting situation you are better off with more practice than ammo that you improved from 1.5 moa to .5 moa

bub4570, headspace and Dallas53 like this.

3. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

The 2 go together I reckon for the simple fact that with a more accurate load you can practice with this load knowing that at least 1 part of the "system" is spot on the other part which is you now has to burn powder to get used to it.........in other words start burning powder with practice.
    No good shooting at game with a rifle that's "close enough is good enough" unless you want to track wounded game and possibly lose it compared to a rifle that's spot on and you can definitely call your shot.

bub4570, SGWGunsmith and Dallas53 like this.
  4. davidradio

davidradio New Member

Very beautifull, do you have full image?

5. Unclefudd

Unclefudd Active Member Supporter

Bub
    WARNING, CAUTION.
    Im surprised the guys didn't mention this along with their great advice and help.
    If you have never loaded and if you have never taken drugs and you still have a choice, take drugs my friend. You can quit drugs. Reloading is not for the weak hearted.
    It is fun, entertaining rewarding and educational and ever changing. New powders and projectiles and primers etc coming on the line all the time. Many help to improve on something even with the same calibers and rifle or pistol and shuttle.

I also began loading back in the 60s with an old single stage rockchucker. (still use it). I now load four shotgun loads, 410, 28, 20 and 12. I am now up to 41 handgun and rifle calibers and I shoot and test everything that I load. I know it saves money to load if you shoot a LOT and once you have purchased the equipment. But, it will cost you as you will continue to grow the different firearms to shoot and hunt or play with.

As already pointed out reloading is much more than saving money and I agree with the others on the consistency and it is so much fun to work with different bullets for the same gun for different uses. Not unusual for 7mm shooters to get lighter bullets like 100 gr ballistic tips or similar for prairie dog or other varmint shooting. Finding out what powder and velocities etc that make that particular bullet perform best in your gun for that purpose. Never ending.

Bottom line, welcome to one of the best, most sincere and helpful forums and I sincerely hope you enjoy your reloading experience. Let us know how you are doing, don't be a stranger. I know many of the people who have replied are truly interested in the outcome of their advice
    or attempts to help, and like to have a follow-up. I know that I certainly do.

Stay safe.

UF

SRK97 and headspace like this.
  6. tac foley

tac foley Member

Over here in UK I reload EVERYTHING, apart from .22RF, obviously. If I didn't, there is no way that I could afford to shoot the guns I have at the rate I use them.

Soooooooooooo, with my old Rockchucker, bought in 1978 at Wiesbaden R&GC, I reload -

Two different .308Win for two rifles.

Two different 7.5x55 Swiss - one to emulate the real GP11, which is around $1.18 a shot here in UK, and one more gentle load for guest days and folks who may never have shot any kind of military rifle before.

Two different 7x57 Mauser - one uses a 175gr Spitzer [the Model B sporter from 1912] and the other uses the original 200gr RN [the 1897 cavalry carbine].

Two different .45-70 Govt - one plinker for up to 300 yards, and the other for up to 500 yards - all using a 405gr FNL.

One load for the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.

Two different .357Mag - one 158gr lead and the other a 158gr JFM.

The BP stuff gets their fodder homecast - .44cal ball and .58cal Minié.

No mail order ammunition here - by law it must be sold face-to-face and entered on your Firearms Certificate [FAC].

US-made factory ammunition costs about 10% more in UK pounds than it does in USD.

Lots of Swedish and Finnish stuff is priced out of this world - a friend of mine shoots his 6.5x55 Tikka with Norma's #1 premium stuff at $3.20 per shot. He does NOT reload. To copy Lapua#s 167gr Match ammunition, which costs almost four bucks a shot here, I use Berger or Lapua bullets, Vihtavuori powder, CCI #200 primers and Lapua cases - it's around $1 per shot. Now you can see why we mostly reload here. Even Prvi Partizan 7.5x55 stuff is almost $114.00/C here.

tac

7. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

As with too much of my "stuff", I've accumulated powder and primers of various types and not stored them correctly. Where once (14 years ago) i shot a lot and my son shot frequently also, nowadays not so much. The result is that when I reloaded a few rounds last winter, i rediscovered the fact that old ammo (and components) tends to be more "disappointing" than "devastating". A single squib load can really ruin your day. Sad thing is, I knew this. Old shotshells in particular don't age well. Split brass, stuck wads, and duds are one result. A dud primer is more an inconvenience to me than otherwise.
    A bullet stuck in the bore followed by another shot can be hurtful. Get rid of questionable components, even if they're in unopened containers. I have now done so.

8. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Old powder is a pretty good fertilizer. Just sprinkle it on the lawn.

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  9. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

I put one can of old military rifle powder on the pole beans. No loading data. Waiting to see if they shoot up.

headspace likes this.
  10. tac foley

tac foley Member

Hah.

tac

headspace likes this.
  11. headspace

headspace Well-Known Member

You must have already put a can of it on your corn.:D

12. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

I sprinkle old gunpowder on ant hills, and then toss a match onto it, from a reasonable distance. Lots of screaming tiny voices.

I still use my single stage Redding BOSS press for loading most all the centerfire cartridges that I use, especially my 7 mm Mauser. The temptation exists to get a progressive press like a Dillon for handgun rounds, but not justifiable.
    For way over 20 years I've been using Barnes X bullets, 140 grain, .284 spire point for whitetail, antelope and mule deer. Best shot at an antelope was a measured 387 yards in Wyoming and witnessed by 3 in our hunting party. The Barnes X bullets are solid copper, and flower out perfectly every time.

[​IMG]

I shot this rascal on the backside of our empire.