To re-blue or not?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by CA357, Jun 21, 2011.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Okay, My 24/47 is cleaned of cosmoline and the wood has been leeched of as much as seemed realistic.

I put two coats of boiled linseed oil on the stock and have rubbed it down with steel wool and a soft rag. The pores had opened while the cosmoline was seeping out and now it feels and looks much better.

Unfortunately, much of the arsenal reblue is gone. It must have been pretty thin. Anyway, I'm debating whether I should re-blue it or leave most of it in the white.

I realize this isn't a rare rifle by any means, but I still don't want to mess it up.

So, re-blue or not?

2. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I do restorations so I'm for the re-blue.

3. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I like the look of a well weathered and worn rifle:cool:

But, on the other hand...
    [​IMG]
    :p

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The final choice is yours. It won't shoot any better. We already know it is not common as it has Serbian stamp(s). You could devalue the rifle at least $50.00 by doing so. Original is not bad. Belgain M24's were made w/ the receiver in white. I have a 1942 Husqvarna M38 that is matching except the butt plate. It has a recycled stock for a 1915, 1916 M96 w/ the correct and original serial numbers, re-sized to M38 specs. It was a drill rifle, hense the butt plate. The blueing near the muzzle is 10% at best, but it is part of the rifles history. Shoots great. It takes no more care then my pristine rifles. Makes it that much better when I can outshoot a wizz bang SSM at the range w/ irons and their rig is worth $1000.00 more.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  5. CA357

Uh oh. I just lost fifty bucks. It's too hot to work in the garden, so I re-blued it. :eek:

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Pitchers! :D

You only potentially lost $50 IF you decide to sell it; good excuse not to sell.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

True, I have 2 pristine 24/47's. I would not sell them.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

I guess i am stingy; i have never sold one of my firearms. I doubt i will, with the possible exception of a cz52 that just hasn't settled in with me very well.

9. CA357

It's done and reassembled. Here's a pic of the disassembled rifle ready for bluing:

[​IMG]

10. CA357

As you can see in the pic, the bluing went away on a bunch of parts when I washed the cosmoline off. So I don't feel badly about rebluing it.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Seriously? None of them?

12. orangello

orangello New Member

Nope, but i have under twenty. I took a break from firearms for about a decade, somewhat. I get attached to them.

13. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

So CA357 I guess you're going to just tease us about posting the pictures of the finished product for a while longer??? :confused::(:confused::(

14. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I'm afraid I must disagree about the loss of value due to re-blueing. Done properly (key words here) the value of a firearm could increase due to a profesional restoration. Primarily depends on the rarity of the firearm being restored. Turnbull restorations is a prime example.

Not trying to ruffle feathers by posting this but folks like myself that prefer restoration over the purists "leave it be" generally get a bad rap for wanting to bring old firearms to their former glory. Not all knicks and dings and scratches are war wounds.... ;)

15. CA357

Okay, here's my usual lousy photos. The buttplate, the ladder sight and a few other parts were in the white or close to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. CA357

I didn't mess with the wood very much, essentially just a clean up with some 0000 steel wool and two coats of BLO.

17. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Looks Sweet to me!! :cool:

18. CA357

Thanks Trez. Now I need to get some ammo to feed it and head to the range. The only 8mm I can find here is at Big 5 and they want $35 bucks for a box of twenty. :eek:

19. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Nice, I like it alot! I agree that it looks better with the new blueing. It's not a priceless treasure and I think you should feel free to dress it up and make it look as good as you want to. I think the wood is good the way it is. :cool:

20. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Tell me about IT!!:(