To prime or not to prime....

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by hockeyjr1, Jun 25, 2013.

1. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Ok so my parents are moving to FL and I gotta stay in NY for a bit longer..(hoping to be out by 2015) I have a sweet reloading bench I built and just started to use to process all my 30-06 brass and 223 brass..

With moving into an apartment I won't have my reloading bench for a while.. Prob a year or so..

Should I prime all my 223 cases before my parents move and let them sit in storage? Or keep the primers in the box and just wait till I'm set up to make full cartridges?

I have about 1800 pieces of brass and just scored 2k small rifle primers for 49.99 per 1k..

2. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Don't know where in Florida your folks are moving, but most of Florida can be humid. Unless your cases will be stored in a low humidity environment, I'd be a bit concerned how they would stand up after a couple of years. Some of my reloads I shoot are 5 years+ old and they do fine, but they were primed, charged and finished in just a few seconds and stored in a cool dry area. good luck

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I'd leave them seperate.

Why not setup a small table in your apartment to keep reloading? I've seen pics on here of guys who have reloading benches in their RVs.

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Agreed. That seems like the best course to me.

5. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I would but my apartment is going to be more like a room, that I'm splitting with my gf.. There's really no room at all to put even a coffee table.. Bed dresser and a tv.. The kitchen area is smaller then the bathroom lol..

And I would be storing the shells up here in ny.. Prob in a climate controlled storage unit nearby..

6. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

Get a used ironing table and bolt your reloading press to that and set yourself up from that at least you can then put it away when your finished, regards

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't normally prime until ready to load.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Leave primers in the box. Put boxes inside an ammo can. Drop in a dessicant pack, close can, leave them alone. They will be fine until you resume reloading. Once in the brass, they are exposed to moisture via the flash hole of the unloaded case.

9. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Aren't primers packaged in a cardboard box from the factory sitting in a store or warehouse floor subject to humidity as well? I mean, I have never seen them shrink wrapped and in air tight containers.

10. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Yeah ill just hold off on priming them.. My finances aren't gunna let me buy in bulk on supplies for a bit anyways..

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

they are typically stored in climate controlled areas. the short trips to stores and sitting on shelves isnt long enough to hurt them. it takes years in a humid climate to damage a primer.

i dug up an old very old box of cci primers i bought in the late 80's and had been stored in boxes of household goods in houston other parts of texas (all damp and humid) and here in wisconsin. for almost 3 decades. they still worked fine when i discovered em.

odds are they will work fine even if abused.

12. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Exactly.
    So to the OP, load them, or not. Store them either way in a decent environment, and you have nothing to worry about.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

i wouldnt trust such primers in ohsht ammo or for hunting but plinking and range type stuff should be fine.

there is no real benefit to priming and then storing. if something squishes a box in storage case mouths can be easily damaged then you have a primed case taht needs to be reworked.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I would not prime and store long term. If you don't want to reload for the next couple years then just leave them alone. If you are interested in another option, you could set up a hand press with dies that would all fit in a cardboard box in the top of your closet. There is more than one way to skin a cat. (That is an old saying. I do not skin cats.)

15. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Actually makes no difference if you load now or later. I have a large number of preloaded cases and a number of non-primed cases. Depending on if you feel you will need to powder and load pre-primed cases or not.

If I was you, I would prime 2 or 3 hundred cases and keep the rest for later use.

Jim