To pocket carry or to not??

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by bige91603, Feb 9, 2013.

1. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

Well i have been thinking alot about adding a compact semi-auto to the bunch lately and figured why not try the pocket carry

I'm a big guy but i want something small enough to slide into my jean pocket (front or rear) the wallet holster has caught my attention but then i wont have room for my good ole Copenhagen. So front pocket it is.

Ive been contemplating a keltec pf9 or P32 but have heard horror stories about them and don't like the rugers. If i weren't a poor college student i would get a sig 938. What do yall have experience with and recommend?

2. marc29th

marc29th New Member

S&W Bodyguard 380

3. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

Bodyguard sounds like a good fit since im a s&w guy. I've heard good things about kahr but nothing firsthand

4. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

With the right pair of pants pocket carry is ideal with the compacts subcompact and snubs.
    Dockers falls into my favorite pant catagory. For denims/levi I tend to geo with a carpenter style, dungaree anything with a deep pocket loose enough to accomodate a smooth deaw.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

With jeans I will kidney carry with a Remora holster. Loose pants is a pocket carry with a DeSantis Superfly. Either a Sig238 or a S&W J frame.

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

When you're talking pocket carry, I think even the Kahr CM9 is a bit too big. I love me my Kahrs and own both a CM9 AND a P380. The P380 truly is a pocket carry gun. Throw it in a Desantis Nemesis and you are good to go.

Kahr just came out with a CW380, which is the less expensive model of the P380, just like the PM9/CM9 combo.

The Kahr P380/CW380 has a slide hold-open after the last round, unlike the LCP.

I would definitely suggest that you STILL carry an extra magazine with you whenever you pocket carry. Desantis makes a Nemesis just for mags. You would put that in your front left pocket.

I carry my wallet in my back pocket, weak side, so if I am ever mugged I can pull my wallet out with my left hand while simultaneously pulling my gun from my right front. That's the plan, at least. Hopefully I never have to test the plan!

7. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I never thought of that, I've always carried it strong side. Time to change that! Right now i carry iwb and may do both when i feel necessary

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Awesome gun. I carry mine in my front pocket in a pocket holster. I paid $399 for mine.

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

My pocket carry weapon is a Beretta 950, .25ACP. For anything larger, I use a holster.

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

My Kahr PM9 is just a bit too large for pocket carry when I'm wearing jeans, like today. On those occasions, I carry my S&W Bodyguard 380.

I prefer pocket carry. Waistband carry is just not comfortable to me. I've been thinking about trying a shoulder holster, but that will only work in the winter when I'm sure to be wearing a cover garment.

11. eldarbeast

eldarbeast New Member

I have had the hammers on all of my 5-shot .38 Special revolvers bobbed just so they won't snag something when I draw them from my pocket.

And I have had my carry pockets re-enforced with denim to make them less susceptible to printing and excessive wear.

Finally, my carry weapons are all nickle or stainless steel.

eldar

12. locutus

Wear a good shoulder rig for a week, and you'll never go back to cowboy carry.:)

13. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

It does totally depend on your pockets. I buy only Levi 505s. They have very deep, large pockets. I carry a heavy, large frame gun, mostly.

- 30oz
    - 6.5"l x 4.6"h x 1.1"w

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Shoulder holster don't make sence unless you wear a coat ever hour your away from home. That should cover yard work and exersize too. Most people have not owned a quality holster for iwb or they would not want another type. Seen it to many times over 26years of cc'n. Even loaned one of our iwb holster to friends for the day and all dumped there single point skinny holster even some all there brand name iwns that just did not work for a better fitting holster.

Haveing the right holster is atleast as important as the rigt handgun.

15. locutus

I wear a shoulder rig under a very light vest in warm weather. IWB is okay, but not nearly as comfortable, IMO. The shoulder rig also makes the weapon much more accessible when sitting, as in driving a vehicle.

16. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

I just sold my pf9... just not reliable enuf... really love this new xds... but I can fit the wife's tcp 380 in my back pocket

17. connectegr

connectegr New Member

I pocket carry my Sig P938. It is comfortable and well concealed. When something more discreet is required I have a Seecamp 32.

18. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I love my Taurus so the tcp is high on my list

19. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

The tcp has been a good gun and pretty accurate.... I'm just more partial to the 45 Cal myself.... not that I think its better then the others but because I shoot it more proficiently... so my XDs is my favorite...for carry