To PARA or not to PARA ???

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Gloves, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I'm thinking about getting a PARA Ordinance GI Expert.
    I'm thinking about getting a pair of PARA. One for me, one for the wife.

What are the reasons why I should or should not buy the PARA GI Expert.
    [​IMG]

• I love the price (I otherwise would buy only 1 kimber, not thrilled about external extractor)
    • I Love that it already has the dovetail on the slide.
    • The website had sold me on the quality mfg.
    I wanted to hear your expert opinions.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

They are a decent entry-level 1911 - nothing special about them. I have friends with them (I've shot them) and I grade them as OK. The Kimber with external extractor must be an oldie as they only did that epic fail for a short time if memory serves...

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

That photo is the gun?

There's no external extractor.

It has a commander hammer, not a GI.

It has no bevertail, only a GI spur.

You will HATE the GI sights.

4. Gloves

Gloves New Member

"I will hate the sights" I can change the sites right?
    The stock sights are 3 white dots. I think that's better than most base models that come with solid color iron, including the Custom II by Kimber.

Do I want the full bever tail? They offer that for more $

I'm looking for bang for buck. So if this costs $525 ish, can you think of a better option?

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Yup, a Rock Island Tactical model. Costs less and has the bells & whistles most folks want. Do a search here and you'll see a number of threads about them. What "we" want in a 1911 may not be what "you" want in a 1911. I will tell you that it's generally cheaper to buy the gun with the features you want versus upgrading. For example the sights - not all dovetails are the same and many manufacturers use their own proprietary cut - which limits your sight selections...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  6. Gloves

Gloves New Member

NGIB,
    Rock Island is the model that I tried at the range that made me decide I wanted a 1911.
    I don't want top of the line. I want a price I can beat up and abuse a little.

It should also use standard parts that are upgradeable (ie sights) / barrel.
    The Rock Island I shot then, another rock island I analyzed had fixed iron sights (no dots)

You know I'm not positive where Para is made (although, website is para-usa)
    I heard that Rock Island is in the Philippines

Q: Why do I want a full beaver tail? I think they look cool but why is the beaver tail practical? (I'm a n00b aka F.N.G.)

Thanks for your input thus-far!

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Yup, the RIAs are made in the PI - which is of no concern as their customer service here in the US is second to none. The RIA Tactical I speak of has dovetailed sights front & rear and I believe they are standard Novak cuts.

A beavertail allows you to have a higher grip on the gun which aids shooting accurately a bunch. While you could find this yourself (had you done a search as I recommended) here's a link to an RIA Tactical...

Rock Island 1911 .45ACP Tactical Handgun Part #AC-RI1911TAC

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've not fired the GI Expert. From the looks of it the weapon does appear to be a decent one and reviews have been positive. Para Ord makes some of the best weapons I've had the chance to use. I own two right now and one I carry daily (LTC).The Sights on the GI Expert are comparable to the ones on a Springfoeld Mil Spec. Except that I believe the front sight on the Para is a dovetail mount rather than the tenon mount of the Springer.

The RIA Tactical is something to look at. THe name is a little deceiving. THe weapon really is more of a loaded model with the exception of maybe the barrel, bbl bushing, and trigger. Most people think of things like rails to mount other goodies when thinking of a tactical weapon. But, the RIA is a fine weapon for the monry you're going to put down. The ambi safety while often sought after I honestly do not think is all that big a deal unless you shoot left handed (like me). But the beaver tail safety is a lot more comfortable to shoot. Take a GI Springfield or even the standard RIA to the range for a box or two of ammo. You will see the difference most likely within the first 25 rounds. Those GI spurs can be a little uncomfortable over time. So maybe the beaver tail is worth looking at in that light. Some people have no issue with the spur and the OP might be one of them. Only one way to really tell. And that's trigger time with both types.

Both the RIA and the Para are built on standard 1911 designs. So buying aftermarket parts to maintain or upgrade will be pretty easy. Para Ordnance is a Canadian company. Though I believe that they have something in Pineville NC. I am not 100% on thew NC thing. I'm sure someone can answer more about the company's geography.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Para WAS a Canadian company. They are moving their ops to NC as we speak. Just got a Para LDA, very impressed by workmanship.

10. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I just got done watching some stress-testing YouTube videos for the
    PARA GI Expert. It boosts my confidence for the GI Expert.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFF0TbhgQMY]YouTube - The 1000 Rounds Challenge - Part 2[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfZ9AdOWUNw]YouTube - The 1000 Rounds Challenge - Part 3[/ame]

My friend has turned me onto yet another manufacture; Auto-Ordinance.

It seems every day I find a new brand of 1911. Will it ever end? I'm just trying
    to find the right gun for me at the right cost. What do you guys think about
    this brand?

[​IMG]

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I was wondering if they were moving it all or not. Thanks for clearing that up.:)

+1 on the LDA's My friend has the Companion and the TAC Four. Both are really nice weapons but I find the double stack mag on the TAC Four a little wide for my liking. But it does do a lot to dispel the mag capacity thing with 45's..heh. I really didn't think I'd like them at first but I especially liked the Companion. A 3" 1911'Like weapon that is really accurate and the recoil is less than my LTC (alloy frame) Para.

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I don't know about the Auto Ord 1911's. I've not owned one. Seen a few and they did seem OK.Those Para vids are wild aren't they? That weapon was getting pretty damn hot! I tell you what I like about the Para pistols most and that's the ramped barrel. The GI Expert does not have one but it's supposed to be a good one anyway.

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The gun in the videos was a Para SSP not a GI Expert. The Auto Ordnance had bad quality control, may be better now that they're owned by Kahr. Remember, with guns as with anything else - you get what you pay for...

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Yeah - Those vids come out a couple years before the GI Expert was made. I think it lends itself more to Para's workmanship. Well..maybe more to do with the way Para's are designed to feed. Many of their weapons are made wit the ramped barrels rather than having the feed ramp on the frame. AS stated the GI Expert is not one of those weapons but if the thing is built with the same ideals to craftsmanship them it might be a pretty good weapon to own. I will agree though especially with 1911's quality can fluctuate in price as the attention to quality goes up. The major plus with the 1911's is the idea that you can work them up from where they are to where you might want them later. Parts can be replaced. Others can be fit a little better with some careful work by someone that knows what they are doing. So in a way the entry level 1911 can grow with the shooter. But even doing things like that you will want to start with something pretty good to begin with. So one will want to look for a pretty good slide to frame fit.

15. russ

russ New Member

As an owner of a Para GI Expert, I am very happy with it. I looked at several other 1911's but I wanted a very basic no bells and whistles model as my first 1911. The Para fit the bill and I have yet to hear any bad reviews on it. Plus the price was right, got mine for $465.27 + tax. The only thing I have done besides shoot and clean it is change the grips. The factory panels are hard plastic and I found them uncomfortable. I put some Pachmayr American Legend grips on it.

16. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

i was looking at this para.....

on gunbroker

it looks real nice to me:D.

but i held out not knowing a lot on Para but mostly because of the no seller feedback.

17. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Wonder what would happen if you tried that with a glock LMAO

18. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Congrats on your new friend. I'm more a fan of wood grips myself. he grips you used are pretty comfortable truth be told.

19. russ

russ New Member

Thanks. However my friend is not so new. I have probably 5-600 rounds through it now and am still quite happy with it. The only issues I've had were ammo caused (Wolf steel cased) and no fault of the gun.

20. SmokyBaer

SmokyBaer New Member

Nothing wrong with Paras... I have two, a P-14 Limited and a LDA Carry model. Both are different than the GI models but I would bet the GIs would be just as trouble free and accurate for what they're intended... a simple duty pistol.