To golf or to shoot.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cpttango30, Apr 1, 2009.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

At the U.S. Army’s Aberdeen Proving Ground, a team of ballistics technicians, supported by some of the U.S. Army’s top sniper instructors, has been quietly developing a radical new “dimpled” bullet. The exterior of the bullet resembles the dimpled surface of a golf ball. The function of the special dimpled skin is to reduce projectile drag, providing a flatter long-range trajectory, and greater retained energy at the target.

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Huh, got any more info?

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I am going to have to side with Matt. Got a source?

That flies into the face of the fact that Chey-Tac has been hand turning their brass bullets for about a dozen years for a proprietary system that their ONLY GOAL was to have the farthest shooting, most accurate boltgun on the planet for mass production and a military contract....

I don't see how a dimpled bullet could improve on that..... But I would be most interested to see how it works....

JD

4. WDB

WDB New Member

Smells like a April fools joke

If not it will compete with the square bullet I'm developing in my basement.

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I also heard that they have a rubber composite core so they bounce better off the firing pin. :rolleyes:

6. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I do believe square bullets were, at one time, real. They were developed to be intentionally cruel, have to research it now.

7. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I'm working on a bunghole-flavored dog food. I'll have the recipe completed as soon as I can get a DNA sample from Ted Kennedy.
    I'm gonn'a be RICH!

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'm sure that DNA isn't limited to Teddy.

I think in his day Joe populated half of East Mass! [​IMG]

9. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

It took me a minute to realize the topic subject was supposed to say Golf and not Gold...

Well, here's my input on the subject:

This must be an april fools joke, because dimples would NOT help a traditional modern day bullet. Dimples help a golf ball because it is spherical. We'd have to be talking about round (marble-shaped) bullets for this to work.

10. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Very interesting link you have there. I have to look further into this. It could work at first galnce. These dimples could improve laminar air flow around the flight. Definately would have to be a boat tail bullet. Could be a joke however. But I'm not quite sure. I golf so I know why the dimples are on the golf balls.

11. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

A box of Titleist bullets, please.:)

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Great they are going to raise the price of bullet again. Because they are going to say Tiger Woods on the side of the dam thing. Great just what I need. I can't afford bullets as it is now they are going to do this crap.\

Oh yah sorry about gold and not golf. I fat finger and a laptop keyboard. your lucky I don't type like this sdfjksdjfuwio weiru wriio jhjclsijf fjkljsl skljfd fdikewpo.

13. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Let's not be too hasty. I think it would be fun to have a caddy toting my rifles and offering advice.

"What do you think, .243?"

"No, sir. You have that nasty dog leg there. I'd go with the .300.":rolleyes:

14. WDB

WDB New Member

I think your right that there was a military prototype assault rife that used square/rectangle shaped rounds. It was a long time ago (10+ years) and may have been in a guns & Ammo mag.

15. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Why wouldn't dimples work? I realized that golf balls have back spin, and a bullet spins in a clockwise direction, but it sounds good.:confused:

[​IMG]

16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Ok, braintrusts..:)

Anyone remember learning that friction creates drag and drag affects velocity? Does anyone think that the bullets on the market today can be bettered? Ammo mfrs are always trying to come up with the most accurate and potent round. Some of the stuff on the market today (if you can find it) is amazing. Jmho. :)

17. WDB

WDB New Member

Well I'm going to keep working on my square bullet idea in the basement anyway:p

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Golf balls are symmetrical and if they have back spin or top spin, the air drag is a consistent force on the shape.

Bullets are not symmetrical and require directional spin to gyroscopically keep them stable. This asymmetry eliminates the ‘back spin’ capability. If your bullet has back/top spin it’s called tumble. [​IMG]

19. WDB

WDB New Member

Cane is da man! No dimple ammo with the Tigger Woods logo:D It's pretty hard to get that much needed spin with all those dimples/pimples.