To get a CCW or not

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Commocarl, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

Just a question.

The laws in my state are by no means restrictive, so I can carry and use a handgun in/from my vehicle.

I honestly don't really want or need to carry in my everyday life. The only time I have my handgun, and my rifles for that matter, in my vehicle is transporting them to the range, etc. and back.

Would I be better off with a CCW if I was ever stopped by L.E. ? Or would it just put me on another secret government list I don't really want to be on?

Thanks

2. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Get one before it's to late.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I agree. Get one even if you never use it. You just may want to some day.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, there will be many different opinons for sure-----
    But I'm just North of Lufkin & for the reasons you stated I feel no need for a CCL - ( I'm on enuff lists ;)) If you are legal to buy one in Texas you can carry to & from this & that & in your truck- Enuff for me :)

5. kycol

kycol New Member

I got mine when they were first offered in ky, and the reason was. I was hoping that other states would follow and would have reciprocal agreements. And most do now. When I am traveling in unfamiliar surroundings is when I want one with me the most.

6. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

Thanks Hoss for keeping me on the fence, and the voice of reason is appreciated.

7. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

The world is a ****ty place to live nowadays. No matter where you live, there will always be those who may do you harm. You may get lucky, and never run into someone like that, or you may be unlucky and be put to rest.
    A CCW could change that outcome. Think of it as insurance that you buy one time, and never have to pay for again. All you have to do it practice with it every once in a while, and carry it. You may never need to use it, but you will thank God that you had it if you ever do have to use it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Most welcome -
    You use the range in Huntington ?
    I shoot in my backyard, live out 'tween Redland & Pollock-

9. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

I have been curious about that place but have never been. I have a private one I can go to in Hudson.

I have my house paid off now, once I get the truck finished I am look at buying some land in the county, The city rules are kinda terrible.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Never been there myself-
    Here the targets are fresh & the beers cold :D

11. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Get it while u can. In Nevada it costs $100.25 for 5years. By having one, i won't need to pay anymore background check fees whenever buying firearms. That's the reason i got mine. ;)

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Please follow this link, and read the article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby's_massacre

So you don't go into bad neighborhoods. THAT was not a "bad neighborhood". If I am having a meal with my family, and some hobgoblin decides that everyone there has offended him, and desrves to die, I have a much better chance of stopping him with a handgun than with a soup spoon.

I hear folks worry about being on some list. Frankly, I have a Federal Firearms License, Federal and state Explosives Licenses, Concealed Carry License, have access to nuclear facilities, have a security clearance, and have my retina prints, fingerprints, and hand geometry on file at various restricted access facilities. I am already on more damned lists than you can shake a stick at.

I would rather be on one of THOSE lists than the list of casualties at Luby's, Virginia Tech, the shopping mall in Utah or the church in Colorado. There are evil critters and crazy critters in this world. They have ALWAYS been there. They are NOT labeled for your convenience.

A few months ago, grandaughter and I were driving- found ourselves sitting at a stoplight in an ungood area. Grandaughter looked around, sized up the street, leaned forward, opened my jacket, checked that I was carrying, nodded, said "Good." Then leaned back in the seat.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

All very true C3 but we was kinda kiddin about the lists :eek:

14. Mark58103

Mark58103 New Member

15. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Even though some on here have implied that I'm a liar because I've been involved in a couple of incidents and they haven't, I'm very glad I have a carry permit. One never knows when or where a concealed weapon will
    come in handy. I've gotten too old to run or fight. In this state you must
    have a ccw permit in order to carry a handgun in a vehicle and that's
    partly the reason I have mine.

16. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I thank God, everyday when I read some of your post about how hard it it to get a cow permit in some parts of the country. I got my permit for when I travel plus living on the border of Mexico you never know what is going to happen or when.

17. cvia

cvia New Member

I just got my permit last month and I'm glad I did. I feel um idk safer.

18. billt

billt New Member

Same here. In Arizona we have both open and concealed carry without a permit being required. I still keep my CCW current because when I buy guns I don't have to go through a background check. The "Insta Check" system is burdened with flaws, and you can be flagged with a "Delayed" check for no reason. This can and does cause problems. By having a CCW all of that crap goes away.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

Which list would i rather be on??

the list of convicted felons for carrying illegally orrrrrr the list of ccw holders??

Ill take the ccw list any day. The reality is there is no basis for worrying about being on a "government list". The government will make whatever database it wants to but the more people participate the more meaningless that "list" becomes. Take a look at how worthless the registered voter list of any state has become

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Again Jon---We were just kiddin about the "lists" :eek: