To Colt or not to Colt

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Belltactical, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

AS a gunsmith, I can ask the wife for some really strange presents. When she asked me what I wanted for my Birthday I told her a blued colt 19111 with a light rail. Didn't even give it a second thought. now I'm thinking - should I ask the forum what they think? I'm looking for the best platform to build up a daily defensive carry gun. Would really appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  2. trip286

trip286 New Member

You want what you want. I'm wanting a blued Colt myself, without the rail though, I just like classy styling, even with all the tacticool stuff I was issued in the military, I've never been a huge fan of rails, lights, and lasers.

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I agree with Trip. Colt makes very fine 1911's and in my opinion they make the best non-custom 1911's on the market.

4. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

I actually am not a fan of light rails myself. My situation is that I've moved to a fairly remote 12 acres along a river and we most definitely have 4 legged and slithering things for which one would prefer to be armed. From a practicality standpoint, being in a remote area it also makes sense to be armed. I need something that I can walk around at night with between buildings and light up if I hear something. I want a one hand solution so I opted for a rail gun as a base to build on. It actually would work out pretty well
    As an "on the nightstand" gun as well. Thanks for the input.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

If you want a one hand solution, that's the way to go. Personally, I don't like the idea of walking around with a drawn weapon while using the light on it.

I duct taped a D cell mag light to my saw (had a red dot/visible laser on my only rail) but that was a two handed weapon. With a handgun I would personally prefer a sure fire in one hand and gun in the other.

It comes down to personal preference, please don't let me talk you out of it if it's what you want. I'm just saying it wouldn't be for me.

6. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

The drawn weapon scenario was a concern but from a practical (every day world at my place) standpoint, I think the safety issue would be covered. I really want a 1 hand solution so my other is free for "whatever".
    Since I've seen so much crap metal come across my workbench, I figured the forged colt would make the best platform to start with. Thanks for the comments.

7. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Colt does not make a blued rail gun. All three models are stainless steel. They do have a model that is blackened with some type of coating.

8. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I like the Colt 1911 pistols with very little change to them.

Attached Files:

9. humberto357

humberto357 New Member

I have two colts one is a government model in stainles and the other is a blued commander.I love them both and I kept them by my bedside in the night together with a short flashlight.I dont think is a good idea to go cheking around whith a drawn pistol with a light attached on it.It is not good tactics cause maybe you are revealing your position in a possible self defense situation.You have to analize and work on your defensive strategy.Remember the fact that you are armed not neccesarily means that you are protected.You need a plan that works in case that you have to defense yourself or your loved ones.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Not a fan of the series 80 Colts-
    BUT a series 70 & i'll bite your hand to get it :D

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Right there with ya Hoss!

12. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Yes, I know they all are stainless forged with/without a blue/black surface treatment. It's fairly common practice, at least around here to refer to them as blue or stainless. Didn't mean imply "blued" in the literal sense.

My basic question really was to gauge opinion on colt vs. other manufacturers as a base for a tactical build up. I think the postings and pm's have sold me on my original selection of using a colt. I'll order up a "black finished SS rail gun" in the morning.

Thanks everyone for the input.

13. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Ahh, for a NIB series 70. Alas, I will have to settle for the 80 and remove the pin block parts during the build up. I used to machine a plug plate to fill the slot but now several suppliers have them as stock items, they usually drop right in.

14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Ask for a blued Series 70 Gold Cup and ditch the light rail. Get a Tuperware gun if you need a rail.

15. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

So much for the rail gun.
    Guy walks in with 2 "broken" guns. He's a neighbor from down the road so I let him hang in the shop while I see what's up. We start talking and he tells me he just inherited these 2 from an Uncle who recently passed away and aside from that bummer, he just got laid off so he figured, well, we're neighbors, so....
    First one is a .38 Taurus that's broke. Looks like its never had a round fired through it. Chrome was 100%. The cylinder spins when you pull the trigger but the hammer is locked. Can't even manually cock it. Found that stupid Taurus safety key they came out with a while back in a drawer, unlocked the gun, wiped it with my magic silicone rag and handed it back and told him it would be a nice nightstand gun.
    Now the good part. A genuine mint condition original Series 70 Gov, blued with two, yes 2 fitted barrels. When he took it apart, the link pin dropped out. Measured it all up (that's how I knew they were fitted, well that and the fact that it was in a custom shop box that said "extra barrel for s/n xxxx), put the good one in - locked up nice an tight, and fired a mag of mixed type bullets. Ate everything I threw at it. Told him I'd have the other barrel fixed and I'd detail strip and clean (God, there really nothing more beautiful than a polished colt blue slide). Start poking around in his pistol case and he's got a grip style scope mount and a laser that I explained would ruin his gun when he tightened up the SIX pointed setscrews that just seem to, well, bolt on the the front somehow. Advised him to lose the laser and send it back to China.
    Today I staked in the link pin, cleaned it all up and did a fast polish (it didn't need much - I doubt this gun had more than a few hundred rounds at most over its lifetime) and was planning my strategy for how I'd get him to sell me the gun and the extra barrel. Didn't really want the scope mount, looked solid but scratched up and scopes on 1911's just aren't my thing but I figured a shot of dura and someone will buy it. He shows up. We head out back to the range, run a couple of mags through each of the barrels and since he clearly didn't know squat about guns or shooting (by his own admission) i walked him through the basics. He's clearly scared of the colt - took the scared factor to a whole new level). Then he turns to me and says, things are pretty tight, I don't think I'll really shoot the colt - I don't suppose you'd be interested in buying all this stuff, would you? I was hoping maybe I could get, oh maybe $400 cash.
    I believe this qualifies as "I had a very good day". It was all I could do to not break out in a giant grin.

16. humberto357

humberto357 New Member

Really you had a very nice day,Im glad for you.

17. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Sort of makes up for the ones where it takes all day to do a barrel.
    Thanks.