TN- Advice on Carrying Permit. Will I be Denied ???

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by bftiedt, Oct 12, 2009.

1. bftiedt

bftiedt New Member

First off i would like to say great forum. Now, I have been wanting to get a carrying permit since i boought my firearm back in Jan. There is a class this sat. at my local range and I am thinking about going and signing up . The problem I am having is I dont want to waste my money if i am not going to be approved when I send in my application. I am 21 years old and currently have 3 blemishes on my record, nothing all that serious though. I looked them up on my local government site and this is what i have listed.

1.Charged/Cited Offense(s) / Convicted/Disposition / Date
    Poss. of Alcohol <21 / Dismissed-Costs to Defendant / 01/29/07

2.Charged/Cited Offense(s) / Convicted/Disposition / Date
    Consumpt. Alc. < 21 / Dismissed / 01/29/07

3.Charged/Cited Offense(s) / Convicted/Disposition / Date
    Poss.or Casual Exch. / Dismissed-Costs to Defendant / 12/01/08

My question is does anyone think this would be enough to deny my application. I do not have enough experience with carrying permits and the way they accept/deny to know for sure and the last ting i want to do is shell out $200 to be told no. I know each state is different but if anyone can offer any advice to a fairly new firearms owner is would be greatly appreciated.

PS - I know the charges are a little hard to read but i couldnt get them to line up right. they are listed in rows reading top to bottom then left to right. Sorry.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. layton

layton New Member

The best thing would be for you to get a copy of your States regulations about CHL.Your local DPS should have them, or tell you where you can get the book.

Layton

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

It doesn't look to me as if there were ever any convictions. Dismissals, all misdemeanors, follow Layton's advise and get information on your States concealed carry law to be sure.

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Talk to someone with legal knowledge in YOUR state.

I wouldn't give you one. :)

5. Jess

Jess New Member

I'm going to have to agree. However the class is still worth your while even for protecting yourself in your home. It should also help you to familiarize yourself with current laws relevant to your area. If your class is like mine was.

6. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

And then maybe an AA meeting.:D:rolleyes::D

7. Glock30Owner

Glock30Owner New Member

8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I got into a physical struggle with my mom when I was 17,and somehow they charged me with "spousal abuse".It was on my record almost 12 years after that when I went to buy a handgun and I was denied.Then,the people at the sherriffs office called the courts,and sure enough,there was a note on my file that said if I didn't repeat the offense in a years' time,the charges would be dismissed.So,the courts took it off my record instantly(almost 11 years too late)But they took it off,and I was within 5 minutes cleared to buy a handgun.So,my point it,if they are dismissed charges,they don't exist.Dismissed means that they charged you,then decided not to charge you,making you free and clear just as if it never happened.So,you should be fine.

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

"Spousal Abuse" with your mother?!!! Nice respect for the ladies. In my world, you would NEVER have legal access to any firearm or knife!!

Women can be trouble, never marry your Mother, Oedipus.

10. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

11. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

"Spouse"=wife or husband.

I don't want you in my world either, so we are agreed.

12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

If you live with someone in Michigan,and youre' both adults,and you "abuse" them,it's spousal abuse,that's the law,period.It aint my fault it sounds so screwed up.I could push a male roomate,and I have committed "spousal abuse"

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Things that have happened in my life have made me a better man,and the things that took place in my home taught me lessons about life,and I would not change them,I have never hit a woman,and maybe some of the reason why is because of the lessons taught through that experience.I was wrong,I paid a year worth of probabtion for it,and I am man enough to admit those things right now.I highly doubt you are perfect,but your attitude tword others will not gain you respect in life,or from anyone,Not in my world.

15. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Okay, okay, zip up the pants boys.....

Ninjatoth, I think the best advice that was given to you was to find a lawyer. No one here (that I'm aware of) is legally qualified to give you that advice, and you should take every bit of information posted here with a grain of salt and proper research.

And I don't consider Google or Wikipedia 'proper research'.

Find a lawyer, and you will have a proper answer.

16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Good to know that our worlds are worlds apart. No problem there with me as I am sure it is with you. :)

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

We all do stupid things at 17. Some of us (me) crash our dads new chevy truck and destroy it and others beat their mothers. :D

Sorry dad. :eek:

18. dirtysouth

dirtysouth New Member

You can google lawyer though. and thats what i would do because you never if you dont ask

Yeah sorry dad for crashing the pickup and throwing the football through the window
    i know i said my brother did it but it was me.

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I have so many different things I can say on this subject but I will get banned for most of them....

I think there are 2 people in this thread that shouldn't be able to walk without a permit let alone be able to own a firearm.....

20. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I often wonder when I fire off random shots in the woods,if anyone is out there.I think about it for a bit,but think,nah,I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary.