TMJ vs. FMJ?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Vincine, May 22, 2012.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Is the difference worth the few cents per round? How much cleaner is TMJ than FMJ? Can I shoot a quarter of a million rounds of TMJ without cleaning my pistol without detrimental effect?

How about 23k?

1k?

How about 152?

How real is the difference?

2. steve4102

steve4102 New Member

FMJ usually has exposed lead at the base. TMJs do not. Some indoor ranges do not allow lead bullets and jacketed bullet with an exposed lead base. That's about it. If you shoot indoors find out what your range rules are as far as lead is concerned, if not, pick one and load away.

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

So it's about lead exposure to the range, not to the pistol?

4. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

Correct. Whether or not the base of the bullet has exposed lead will matter not to your barrel. How often you need to clean your gun depends on the standard of accuracy/reliability you require. When shooting jacketed bullets, whether theyre fmj or tmj, your barrel will have copper and powder fouling inside it. No lead residue will be left behind from either one.

Copper fouling will kill your accuracy. So again, on this point, your cleaning schedule will depend on your accuracy requirements. I have run 500 plus rounds through my ar and my handguns at a time with no problems. I dont require exceptional accuracy from them. "Combat accuracy" is all i require from them. My bolt rifles will be cleaned every 20 rounds. If not, i will notice a huge decrease in accuracy. These rifles i hold to a much higher standard.

Powder fouling is corrosive and will cause rust if left uncleaned. Powder fouling is why we clean our guns after every range session.

Non corrosive ammo means that the primers are non corrosive. But burnt gun powder IS corrosive regardless of what type of primer ignites it.

Always clean your guns after every range session and then run an oil soaked patch through the clean barrel to protect it during storage.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

It is not about pistol getting leaded up. It is about your kidneys, brain, gonads, etc etc getting leaded up. Environmental health, not firearm maintenance.

6. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Thank you gentlemen. As always, your enlightenment is most appreciated.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

there are issues with plated bullets but minor ones. you treat them as plain lead for reloading load data purposes. you cant push them too fast or they shed the plating and cause severe leading issues. generally only seen at 357mag velocities.

no load for 45acp comes close.

with bare lead bases you still get minor lead deposits but takes many thousands of rounds to foul a barrel. copper is generally a bigger nuisance at that point.

powder and primer residue is not corrosive and no harm will come to a firearm from storing dirty after using modern corrosive primers and smokeless powder.

blackpowder loads however are corrosive and commonly found in cowboy action shooting.

take with a grain of salt:
    eag's filthy 14 saw minor accuracy degradation after 30,000 rounds. true or not who knows.

the following is purely my opinion based on absolutely no scientific data. i dont recomend anyone else follow my example:
    personally i think you will shoot out most barrels before any copper plated or jacketed bullets will affect the perfomance. all i do for my barrels is swab out residue and oil em up now and then. i run a brush through 5 or 6 times to break the chunks loose but i dont get crazy benchrest loony with it

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  8. oli700

oli700 New Member

I have never heard or read that about TMJ plated bullets being an answer for lead exposure. They were always just a cheaper alternative FMF .