Tires

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cpttango30, Jul 25, 2009.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I know this is a gun forum. But, I wanted to share something with everyone. I encourage everyone to check their tires on all the cars and truck regularly. This is a big pet peeve of mine when looking at used cars or just cars and truck in general. I used to be a tire man at one time. My step-dad has been a tire man for a long time. Every car should have a air pressure gauge in the glove box or in the trunk in a car care kit with spare bulbs flares flash light and many other things.

I was checking my tires after getting home from California and here is what I found.

Front Passenger side tire.
    [​IMG]

Front Driver side tire.
    [​IMG]

the driver side is the worse as it is showing steel belts. These tires are just about 3 years old and only have 33,000 miles on them. The rear tires are looking fine but they don't do anything but support the back of the car.

Please for your and your families safety check your tires twice a month if not once a week. Check them for tread depth, inflation and any damage to the tread or sideway area. Your tires are what hold your car, truck or SUV on the road. Damage like seen above can cause a blow out or could cause you to lose traction in the rain or snow.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

MAN! That is UGLY !!! Ref: belt showing- when alignment gets off just a smidge, radials seem to eat their way to the belt real fast.

Besides the tire pressure guage, do all y'all know how to use a penny to check for tread depth?

The two things most drivers CAN do to improve fuel mileage is 1. Change the air filter, and 2. Keep your tires properly inflated.

3. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

That sucks. I never really thought of checking my tires. But, my car is a rolling turd. So, I really only drive it to work (barely a mile away). My mom lets me use her car if shes home.

S.S.

4. bobbyb13

bobbyb13 New Member

The turd can get you dead as quick as a Vette. In less than a mile. Check them hoss. Like to keep all of us around.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I think something like 75% or more of fatal accidents happen within 2 miles of home.

6. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I run MTs, chunking is just part of the game. Glad to see that you made it home okay, that's pretty ugly.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

:eek: With my little car, i have to keep a close eye on my tires. Anybody pushing their tires past a receding hairline & into baldness should remember that drunks aren't the only selfish danger putting other drivers at risk.

I always wonder why i never hear about many people changing out their brake fluid when it gets a few years on it, brake pads yes, oil yes, but the stuff that makes the caliper move, notsomuch. :rolleyes:

8. Shotgun Shooter

Very true. Dec 23rd 2006, a kid I played baseball with for many year died a mile or less from his house. Went around a curve too fast. Hit a tree. Probably had nothing to do with his tires, but just giving an example of your post that I quoted.

But ya, monday before work I'll check my tires. Thanks Tango.

S.S.

9. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

10. orangello

orangello New Member

They do look a bit overworn at the edges, under-inflation perhaps?

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Most tires today have what are called wear bars. In the tread most of the time in the biggest grove you will see little bars of rubber in them. If your tread is even with them your tires need replaced. Also if you take a lincoln penny and place him heads down into the tread your tread should be above the top of his head. If it is even or below you need to replace your tires. If you like tools you can get a depth gauge for $3.50 on Amazon.com or I am sure most local autoparts stores carry them as well.
    Amazon.com: TIRE TREAD DEPTH GAUGE: Automotive

[​IMG]

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I check inflation once or twice a month. Never showed underinflation except once when I have a hole in the driver side tire.

I think a lot of it is The roads in my area are crap. lots of pot holes and rough roads.

I got a set of Sumitomo HTR 4 on order from Tire rack.

13. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

No...over and under inflation would show continuous wear around the entire circumference - underinflation would wear the inner and outer treads, and overinflation would wear the center of the tire (assuming a proper alignment and good front end) his looks to be damaged from hitting or running over something. Tires don't get gouged-out from inflation or front-end problems...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  14. orangello

orangello New Member

On my car, and the ones i've had before, the center tread wears faster if some genius college kid tries to overinflate a bit to save on gas :eek: . If an older idiot (also me) tries a slight under-inflation for added traction, the sidewalls aren't as firm and allow more side flex and increase wear on the tread edges. Notice the water sipes at the edge seem very shallow compared to other visible tread.

If it's a mistake you can make with a car, i've probably done it or seen it (VW beetles will float, briefly).

His do seem to have encountered something unpleasant, maybe a sharp-edged pothole or road debris. With the lower side-profile tires i use nowadays, i have to keep inflation up to spec to prevent bending a rim on a pothole edge.

15. Shotgun Shooter

NY roads really suck, as well. There is so much road construction, but nothing gets done, or so it seems. Alot of stuff are in the roadways. Garbage and other stuff from vehicles that fall off.

S.S.

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Where do you get highway flares? Just about any NAPA, Advanced, or Auto section at Wally World. They can also double as a never fail fire starter, and can be really good at removing unwanted eyebrows. :eek:

But they are more than a quarter apiece now.....

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The bad thing is this. I drive one gravel roads and threw a lot of construction and new home building in my area. In fact the Devlopment my school is in is still so new they haven't finished paving the street. It claimed one car that was lowered and it ripped a hole in the oil pan going over a man hole cover. He put 5 qts of oil in the parking lot of the school. then drove off not at all knowing that he had no oil in his car. Gravel on roads here is crushed stone. That if you have ever seen it has many sharp edges on it.

18. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Maybe they sell them in Va., but they must be considered "assault weapons" in NY cause I haven't seen them, except in the hands of LE, in over 20 years...

19. MrKimber

MrKimber New Member

Another action to think about is rotating your tires. If the rear tires are like 90% tread and the front are shot this shows that no rotation was done. I rotate mine every other oil change to maintain even tread wear. The damage to your tires is caused by mechanical damage from something you drove over. If the tread thickness is thin the tire is weakened it cannot take nearly the punishment it should. Glad to see you made it home OK!

20. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I do a full system flush with DOT 4 synthetic fluid every other summer. It's pretty important when you're frequently on the gas and brakes at the same time.