Tips to improve shooting?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by NewGunz, Oct 1, 2010.

1. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

I got a SIG P226 at the beginning of June and I've probably been to the range 25-30 times now since then. This past month I've had to focus my time and money elsewhere so I haven't been able to go. I finally went the other day and I was sooo rusty... Is this normal? Also, my shooting range is a very good range and they do offer some classes. But I feel like I'm past the basics and I'm wondering if I should invest in a class or just try and get some one on one instruction. Any tips? Thanks.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Shooting well is IMHO a perishable skill - but it tends to comes back quickly. The caveat is if you are well grounded in fundamentals like stance, grip, and trigger control. When I've had a long layoff it will take me an hour or so to shake off the rust - but I've been shooting handguns for many years. If you are relatively new to the sport, some professional instruction is always a good thing as you may need some help with the fundamentals...

3. Recon 173

Recon 173 New Member

Shooting ability is a perishable art. You have got to practice it over and over to stay current on it. So, yes, this is not unusual at all.

The 2 key things to always remember about shooting are:

1. Concentrate on the front sight.
    2. Slowly press the trigger. When the gun goes off, it should surprise you.

If you follow those 2 rules, you'll pretty much always be on target.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

+1 on the above, but allow me to reiterate that there are 4 steps to shooting:
    Sight alignment
    Breath control
    Trigger pull
    Follow through

5. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Try loading no more than 5 rounds per mag, and when you aren't hitting your intended aim point, make very small grip changes and see what effect they have. Sometimes, for me, the problem is in the placement of the thick of my thumb or/and having too much/too little finger on the trigger, and it can be as little as a couple rows of fingerprints. A couple days ago I dug my thumbnail into the pad on my trigger finger until it hurt when I found the proper spot, and there was no more guessing.

6. indyfan

indyfan New Member

These two videos greatly improved my grouping. Grip and Trigger pull are the two most important things to focus on when shooting a handgun (that's my opinion)

Hope this helps

Shooting Coach
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQgLmQl1zDw]YouTube - How to grip a pistol[/ame]

Todd Jarrett
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGhveUOnkvc]YouTube - Todd Jarrett shooting tips[/ame]

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

THE best shooting tip I can give to improve your groups is this.....

move closer to your target

:D

8. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

Why thank you Gojubrian... Hahaha.

Well, I followed the above tips thanks to you guys at the range today and placed MUCH better shots. I brought some of those winchester targets that glow around the areas that are shot and have little black dot stickers. I was actually able to hit a direct bullseye and hit a tiny black dot in 2 tries at around 13 yards. I focused on my trigger pull and grip the most. I found that when I went the other day, I was not gripping the pistol as fully and firmly as I should have been.

9. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

I have a question about speed. In shooting, what's the best way to go about improving speed with drawing, reloading, and shooting (while remaining accurate) itself? Are there any real secrets or is it literally just practicing it slowly and gradually getting faster? Thank you.

10. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Buy some snap caps and practice reloading, drawing and dry firing at home. Even if you're just sitting on the couch watching tv. Time yourself, try to beat your older times.

There isn't any real secrets. Unless you're related to this guy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAFxgQmxbGI]YouTube - The fastest clip you'll probably ever see.[/ame]

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Remember that smooth moves (plus practice) will outpace fast, sloppy, "drop the mag" moves.

12. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

Pimp your sights to improve target acquisition at a higher degree:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd call this a competition combo, a custom straight eight on luminescent green, plus orange day sights, ( on the orange dots the luminescence is short lived, but it charges in a second).
    [​IMG]

If after this you still can't put a decent group together, in the troubleshooting process, you can't blame the sights.

13. zhuk

zhuk New Member

For the past year & a half, I've known my trigger control is pretty woeful (typical groupings low & right when the adrenalin is high ie *Lefty pattern*)

Never been able to do any dryfiring until now, and have been attempting the past few days the 'balance a 5c coin on the top of your front sight drill' (or whatever corresponding small currency you have :))

Unless my grip is good - without squeezing the dominant hand fingers - and unless the trigger pull is SLOW and STRAIGHT BACK - without the jerking or slapping I've been customarily doing - the coin will not fall off the sight during dryfiring.

Think this is an awesome drill; really helped me work out exactly how I should be working the trigger so as to not jerk it. If I can get through a 10-rnd mag of snap caps and not have the coin fall, I'm very happy.

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Speed vs accuracy is a trade off. While glowing sight paint is cute, no tricks will make you a better shot - especially when you want both speed and accuracy. The only solution is to master the fundamentals and practice. Consistency is the key, same grip, same sight picture, same trigger pull - until it becomes second nature. Once the basics are locked in concrete, you can then work on your speed...

15. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

Interesting. I just tried this but I had no problem not dropping the nickel and dime (in single-action). I also cannot go through an entire mag of snap caps because if I rack the slide, of course the coin wil fall.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  16. indyfan

indyfan New Member

I was hoping somebody would knock that idea down :rolleyes:

17. zhuk

zhuk New Member

I have problems going too fast for my skill level; when the adrenalin kicks in all the pre-buzzer thoughts of "Go slow & smooth" fly out the proverbial window lol

Accuracy will indeed suffer if you go faster than the level you are at. Paradoxically, the one or two times I have managed to slow down and not rush it during competition, I was a lot more accurate and strangely faster in the end. Your perception may be that time is slowing however you end up being faster. If that makes any sense at all :D

Good quote on the subject -

Fast is fine, accuracy is final! you need to learn to be slow in a hurry.
    - Wyatt Earp.

Yes you do have to re-position the coin each time, a bit tedious but at least you get to learn to re-acquire a good grip. Don't think I would have been able to analyse exactly how my trigger pull & as it relates to grip was lacking otherwise.

18. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

eyes open

Unfortunately as of now, to acquire your target you still have to keep your eyes open, and that is not a trick, you might assume everyone sees things just like you do and you'd be wrong.

Some of us have more or less difficulty with our eyes and while we can knock down an intruder flat without even checking our sights, we still enjoy making a good group at 25 yards wit the help of the "glowing sight paint is cute"