Tips on improving second tap accuracy?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by BlindOldMan, Apr 21, 2011.

1. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

I noticed that my second shot in a double tap is drifting low and left by about 3" - 4" at 7yds, worse as the interval between shots gets smaller. My goal for the next months is to improve that. I know practice and practice and practice is the major part of this process, but was interested in any tips you all might have.

I have been looking for a heavier gun per some suggestions, but outside of equipment, what other techniques have you used to improve the second shot?

2. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

My thinking is that your left hand (assuming you are right handed) is exerting more/stronger pull than it should.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Second shot accuracy is determined by how you control the recoil of the first shot. An improper grip will allow the gun to recoil along the path of least resistance, typically up and in...flex your wrist and see what the more natural direction is.

To control the recoil's muzzle flip you should adjust your grip so that the recoil force comes straight back and that the gun's weight will drop it straight down with the sights coming back on target.

And yes, practice practice practice.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  4. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

[​IMG]

Thank you for the tips. Here's one of today's targets. Glock 17 at 7 yards. I keep on dropping the second shot and it's pretty obvious from this image..

And here's a second group where I shot even faster. Embarassingly imprecise, even missed the target completely on one shot... The ones in the 9 circle are the first half.. The second tap drifts left and low..

[​IMG]

As bad as these are, I hope just copious amounts of range time will improve things..

5. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

This next is left handed rapid fire with a Walther P22. There are a couple 9mm hits on the target on the bottom left.

[​IMG]

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Not all that bad...they are all on target and would effectively end a threat...nobody says that the edges of a double tap have to overlap. Some would argue that the damage caused to multiple areas of the body may induce zero BP quicker than two closely placed shots.

How to shoot a double tap

7. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

As stated, it's more than likely your grip, follow through and maybe a little to much speed. A controlled pair should be fast, but to fast and you are sacrificing accuracy for speed. The hand and wrist that holds the weapon should remain ridged and firm, allowing the weapon to pretty much come back on target after the shot.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have seen that when people release the completely between shots, they have trouble with the "double tap".

With practice, release the trigger just enough for the action to reset, then pull the trigger again. Go slowly at first. With time, you will be "setting" the trigger on the recoil of the first shot.
    Trying to "slap" the trigger for the second shot is something to avoid.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Cheat! Use duplex loads. I have some 357's that are loaded with 2-36 caliber (000) balls. They hit about an inch apart at 7 yards. The 410 buckshot load is 3 000 balls.

10. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

Durn, headed out to try these tips and found out that the range was closed today :/

I think you gentlemen are spot on and the problem may be my grip and trigger method.

11. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

All my pistols have a set of good rubber grips, like Pachmayr or or Hogue, installed on them. I find that the rubber grips keep them from twisting in your hand when you're shooting multiple shots. It works for me, maybe it will work for you. The rest is just a matter of practice. Truth is, the shots you showed us would have still done the job in an emergency. First shot really counts, second is insurance.

12. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed. I would agree with that argument. After the first shot, the trigger and recoil should be controlled to where your second shot should be slightly in a different target vital area. 2 holes, two different places, further apart, more damage to internal structures, more blood loss, more shock, more time to shift your position and bring your aim to fire one more if needed, different location, the party's over.

If you start center mass then you should end your final shot anywhere above or to the left or right of the first shot placement. Lots of vitals in those areas.

I realize you are shooting a bullseye target, but we all are really practicing for accuracy to shoot a 2-legged threat. Groupings are fine to show one's accuracy and criteria for improvement, that's the basic fundamentals that are needed to continue your training to be more accurate and faster to put more holes, in different spaced placements, in critical vital areas. Much better for stopping carbon based, 2 legged moving targets...with any decent caliber.

Just my humble opinion and nickels worth...and Jpyle's as well, I see.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have told this story a couple of times, but it bears repeating based on the influx of new members and the interest in this topic.

I was at the range with my buddy/gunsmith/mentor who had quite a past in his military career.

I was kind of goading him to show me one of those famous famous Elite For es double taps. He set up a fresh target at about 8-9 yards. Loaded his 1911 and from the holster, ripped off a double tap that was within a half inch. Then he redid it and shoot two that were touching in the 10/9 ring with the second shot being in the 5 o clock position.

I told him I was impressed and wanted him to teach me. "yeah, for a lot of good it would do you".

We talked about it and explained that based on real world experience the ideal two shots would be a center mass shot, with the second shot being touched off with the first round recoil and the shots 2" to 4" apart because of the greater chance for causing multiple wound channels.

After we talked about it, it made much more sense to work on two smooth shots in series that were in the 10 & 8 rings than two in the 10.

Just food for thought.

JD

14. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

I guess you can't argue with that kind of logic! Thanks JD and Jack.
    So, if your first shot goes center mast, then pretty much anything within 6 or 8 inches from that first one is good to go, yes?
    I like this group so I'm gonna post it up here just for fun, this is first day with my new XDm .45, one full mag (13 rnds) @ 20 feet in about 20-25 seconds. I think I woulda got him...

Attached Files:

15. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yeah, I'd say you pretty much ruined that one's day! ;) Good shooting! :cool:

16. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

[​IMG]