Tinder Suggestions

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Doc3402, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I need a few suggestions for pre-packing tinder. I do have some requirements.

1. There can't be any possible way it could be mistaken for drugs of any kind.
    2. It must remain viable after long storage periods in a car trunk.
    3. It can't give off flammable or toxic fumes.
    4. It must be easy to ignite with a fire steel.

That's about it. I plan to store it in a ZipLoc bag in my hurricane back pack if that makes any difference. It will not be near food or water. Thanks for your suggestions.

2. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Tampons make great tinder , and as a bonus they are already in a water proof package, and they have a small amount of cordage. Light, compact, waterproof.

3. towboater

towboater Active Member

And a nice, fresh scent.

4. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Lmao !!!
    Air freshener for the campsite.

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Doritos and orange peals.

6. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

...It's true. And maxi-pads make great compression bandages for a first aid kit. Packaged seperate and steril, and very absorbant... Plus the obvious reasons to have them if you're of the fairer sex or have them in tow.
    BUT... back to the question at hand. A hank of sisal rope... some hand sanitizer.. even a piece of cotton cloth impregnated with vasiline make great tinder. Have you ever made charcloth ???
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV_77V155zU[/ame]
    P.S. When in the woods in North Carolina and in need of fire starter.. I look for a paper birch tree or cat tails (if you can find them in your area).

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I use lint from the dryer. You can also douse it in lighter fluid. Store in in the orange waterproof containers for matches.

8. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Don't know much about tinder. Char cloth is supposed to light easily with a firesteel, you can find videos on the 'net about how to make it. I'm lazy -- I roll a section of newpaper up into sticks about 1 1/2" in diameter, soak them in parafin (trade name: Gulfwax) like they use to seal canning jars, then cut them into about 1" lengths. Light just fine with my a bic ligher or waterproof matches, both of which I carry in addition to a fire steel.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  9. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Really? Never knew that.

10. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

And cotton butcher string soaked in paraffin wax then cut into 2 inch pieces.

11. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Should have read further before posting . . . see you already posted video on how to do char cloth.

12. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

13. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

That's okay buddy. You should try alternative fire starting. Once you start to master it.. your confidence goes through the roof!! You feel like you can tackle almost anything!

14. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

The goal is to avoid flammable liquids in the trunk, so it looks like tampons are the way to go. They're easy to find, and I don't think even the newest rookie will mistake them for drugs. My daughter even has a couple stashed in my glove compartment. As far as the maxi-pads go, I have them in the first aid kit. They work great for slice and puncture wounds.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I really appreciate it

15. Brian1955

Brian1955 New Member

X2 of dryer lint ~ it's amazingly flammable-esk. Except from pure cotton towels 'n the like. Lint from man made textiles will near start you spark tool afire. ;)

16. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Never thought of that one, either. I was locked on to things found in nature and completely missed the man made stuff. Thanks.

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Shredded White Birch bark.

18. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

We have that here? I've used pine needles and shredded pine bark before, but I hate pine at any stage if I'm going to cook on it.

My quest is for post-hurricane comfort. Once the storm has passed I plan to get away somewhere. I have two dogs that will not do shelter life well, so I need to get out ASAP. Considering everything will be soaked I wanted something I could put in the car that wasn't going to give off flammable fumes in any great quantity and wouldn't cause a LEO to take a second look.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Nah. It's much more common up north.

Two things- try to forage recently killed

bushes or trees which have been out of

the ground about a week. Many times the

dried greens go up like a Christmas tree.

On another note, do you maul logs? If you

split your own wood, you find a lot of dry

kindling as you separate the splits. You just

have to shave it off with a knife or hand axe.

Have you tried the Estwing hand maul? Best 35$

I ever spent.

20. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I've had an Estwing for years, and I agree it's well worth every penny.

If the fire was for heat or signaling I've got some fat lighter to get something lit. It just gives food a nasty flavor. It's probably my imagination, but if I used it to light the fire I can taste it on the food, even if I wait a couple hours to cook. I think the smell gets in my nasal passages and stays there.