Timney trigger

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Gordo323, May 8, 2011.

1. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Been looking at triggers for my Rem. 700. Thinking about a Timney, unless someone can justify the extra money for a Jewell. Also what are the advantages of a straight trigger over a curved one ? :confused:
    Here are the ones I'm looking at, Midway has them a little cheaper.TIMNEY : REM 700 STRAIGHT TRIGGER W/SAFETY - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

TIMNEY : REMINGTON 700 TRIGGER WITH SAFETY - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Don't forget Canjar single set triggers. They have an exceptional crisp trigger pull when unset and astoundingly light pull when set. They are fully adjustable in every way and 110% reliable. I put a Canjar set trigger on my .280. Canjar is not online as far as I know but are located in Denver.

3. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Thank's Bear I'll definitly, look them up.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Both mentioned are good, bordering on great, triggers, as in the Canjar that Bear mentioned.

Having said that, we install a lot of Rifle Basix triggers in our boltguns because they are rugged, field worthy and "cheaper" than the others.

The Jewell is not really a "field trigger" it is more of a precision, benchrest sort of trigger, so if you plan on taking this rifle anywhere other than a controlled range, I would recommend against that one.

Any of those mentioned will serve you well. The Jewell is the one that will be tunable down to the absolute infinitesimal degree, but most shooters will not be able to tell the difference unless you put thousands of rounds down range a month.

Let us know what you end up with.

JD

5. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Thank's JD for the info.
    The rifle's purpose is #1 for hunting, but I still take it to the range alot.
    I just have never liked the stock trigger.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Gordo - Take a look at a Rifle Basix drop in. For field use, and hunting, they are a great drop in trigger that is "rugged" without breaking the bank.

They are top shelf and great quality.

JD

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yep. But shop around, they vary in price by a $50 window depending on when you are shopping. Great trigger. Drop in replacement with EASY as pie adjustment or there are places you can order it preset to your required weight.

For hunting, I would recommend 3#-4# just in case.

JD

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I have a timney and love it.

Don't buy the Jewell unless you are prepaired to pay for it. Because once you run with a Jewell you will never ever want another trigger ever did I mention that you will never want another trigger other than a jewell. not yes but, HELL YES they are worth every penny.

Here are my trigger tears
    Jewell
    Timney
    Shilen
    Rifle Basix
    Canjar
    Factory trigger.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Tango, I love you brother, but seeing your list I can't help but compare it to real life.

If you don't have a gunsmith and need a DIRECT drop in, you should follow Tango's list.

However if you have skill in tuning a trigger, or have a competent gunsmith, then you can take even a factory trigger and tune the hell out of it to break like a high dollar custom.

Look at the work stalkingbear does on STOCK Ruger 10/22 triggers. Everyone LOVES them, it's the mastery of the smith behind the work, stalkingbear, that makes the difference.

Jewell are great triggers. But they are great for bench rest triggers. For a field gun, I would NEVER put one in an "across the course" rifle or a sandbox rifle. They are just too damn sensitive, being they can be tuned down to mere OUNCES!!

Timney and Rifle Basix both have solid, well built, FIELD triggers that can be tuned well within specs for the application of say, "hunting".

JD

10. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

I must agree wholeheartedly with ttango on the Jewell trigger. I have three M700 Milspec 5Rs and have replaced the triggers in the .308 and .223 with Jewells and love them. They both came set at 1 pound. Hopefully before the year is out the .300WM will have one as well.
    The factory Remington trigger is simply unacceptable in my opinion. They are epoxied all up and rather than try to mess with them, I replaced them.
    I am convinced that once you go with a Jewell, there will be no other trigger.
    It would be nice if they could come up with a replacement trigger for the M1A as good as these are and be reliable and safe.

11. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Same here when I comes to the Jewell trigger. I don't think they are as delicate as some may claim. They do come with 3 different flat springs and you can get a trigger pull weight of 6 lbs. or so if you want. Also you can take it down to mere oz's. pull as JD said. My Jewell is set to 20 oz's. pull for target rifle. They are spendy. I have a Timney trigger in a sporterized 03A3 set to 3 lbs. and it is a very good trigger but not as crisp as the Jewell. The Jewell breaks like glass and has practicatly no creep or travel. The Timney does have a bit of creep and travel but does break very nice when set correct. If memory serves me right I think I paid around $85.00 for the Timney.

12. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

So I just ordered the the straight trigger, Timney.
    Never shot anything other than a curved trigger, so this will be a new experience.
    It was about the same price as the others.
    I'll get some range pics as soon as possible, it is truly an FTF gun!
    Bedded by Stalkingbear, scoped by CA357, shot by Stalkingbear, Winds of Change, and the Angry Bald Guy! (Happy Bald Guy).
    Now my mind switches to Hodgdon 4831 and the ultimate 7 mm load
    Thanks for the help folks

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You will be pleased at how much better that trigger is than a factory Remington.

Are you going to install yourself?

14. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Yeah, I think I can handle the installation.
    I found the instructions online and doesn't look too difficult.
    Hopefully it will arrive when I am home on break and I can get a range report soon!

15. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Got the trigger yesterday and installed last night.
    Very easy to install. It was a little wider than the factory trigger so I had to file just a small amount of material from the inside of the stock's trigger opening.
    Dry firing, I can already tell the difference over the factory trigger and I like the way the pad of my finger feels on the straight trigger. Hope to get it to the range next week!
    Again a big thank's for the FTF advice!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  16. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

How does the pull feel?

17. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

I haven't adjusted it yet and I don't have a spring scale yet, I would guess it is set at about 4 lbs. , but absolutely no creep and just a little travel.
    I'll have a better idea once I get to the range and shoot it. Will take pics and post a range report soon!
    Can't give an honest answer until I actually shoot the gun and try some adjustments on the trigger. I can't wait :D