times are get'n hard'

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by rigjumpr, Sep 10, 2011.

1. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

that there is too much month left at the end of the money $$$$$$$, to continue my shooting, I'm trying to think of a cleaning solution to assist with gun cleaning. other than to buy can after can of spray cleaner. i was going to start with a engine degreaser base and stsrt from there. any help would be appreciated.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Have you ever been in an engine rebuilt shop and seen their parts cleaning area? They normally have a basin filled with a safe solution. Keep re-using the stuff with a stiff brush.

Now, consider the same principle with cleaning your firearms. Or take a look at Cylinder&Slide's "dunk-it-bucket"

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Many gunsmiths for years(and still) used regular paint thinner(mineral spirits). It is very cheap and works excellent and low odor. Then use any thin oil after the piece is dry. This is NOT rocket science. We shoot clean burning ammo now. The only specialty item we might need is IF you have copper build-up in the bore you need something special for that(like Shooters Choice or similar).

5. ahole

ahole New Member

WOW if your getting copper build up you need to clean more than once every 5 years. :eek: Yes a soda bath works wanders look at Harbor freight i thing the tub is 80 bucks and a solution is 10 bucks for 3 gal. that should last about 3 to 5 years of cleaning one gun a day.

6. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

thank you all for Sharing your information.

7. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Hoppe's #9 Bore Cleaning Solvent 32 oz Liquid - MidwayUSA
    Break-Free CLP (Bore Cleaning Solvent, Lubricant, Rust Preventative) 4 oz Liquid - MidwayUSA
    maybe some...
    Kano Kroil Penetrating Oil and Bore Cleaning Solvent 8 oz Liquid - MidwayUSA
    and then some...
    Break-Free Bore Cleaning and Polishing Compound Paste 2 oz Tube - MidwayUSA

This array would last for years of shooting and cleaning.
    Or, just mix up some Ed's Red and be done with it. :D
    Cut your own cotton patches.
    Use old toothbrushes, toothpicks, q-tips.

I've been working on a quart of Hoppe's and a pint of CLP for a good long time.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Gun Scrubber is an expensive chlorinated solvent which is very similar to automotive brake cleaner. Brake cleaner spray is available in chlorinated and non chlorinated and is relatively cheap. Caution; Gun Scrubber has been known to melt some plastics. As previously mentioned, a lot can be done with mineral spirits/paint thinner. Be careful with any solvent around painted stocks.:eek: Synthetic motor oil is a lot cheaper than gun oil.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've used brake cleaner one one occasion, and carburetor cleaner on another occasion. They both worked great. I didn't let either one of these come into contact with wood or plastic, just as a precaution. Don't know if it would have caused any damage because I didn't give it a chance to.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

good idea! when i do a thorough cleaning, i remove the stock and any plastic parts as added insurance of any cleaner from doing any damage.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Whats interesting though is this- A lot of folks have cleaned carburetors with kerosene, and while I don't know the main ingredient in modern carburetor cleaner, go ahead and take a look at the back of a Hoppes #9 bottle. Kerosene. Hoppes also makes a #9 air freshener to hang from the mirror in your car, can't wait to get mine!

12. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I use non chlorinated brake clean to clean my AR, just open it up, spray it down, brush barrel, Then I blow on it, this stuff evaporates super fast, then lube it up with some synthetic 0w20, works wonders, and is super cheap for me (I work in a shop). Now I do use hoppes, rem oil and other cleaners as well.

Gersty