Time to move on .

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dango, Dec 2, 2020.

1. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I’ve had a few Toyota trucks. Yes they can be pricey to get into, even used. Sold my ‘97 4Runner to a neighbor over a year ago, with 265,000 miles on it. Bought it used with 78,000 on it. Got a lot of miles out of it and definitely got my money’s worth out of it.

Got my wife a 2012 Tacoma with only 40,000 on it. If we run it for over 15 -20 years and a quarter million miles, I don’t have a problem with the cost.

I have been driving a Nissan Xterra for about 4 years now. Happy with the vehicle so far. Great rig for light trail use, hauling my kayaks, etc. has fold flat rear seats and front passenger seat which has actually impressed some guys at Lowe’s when I got 2x4 lumber loaded inside the vehicle. I think the Nissan Frontier and Xterra are under valued compared to Toyota, but for one thing. Toyota’s service and service department tends to blow away my experience with Nissan.

The Tacoma came with free oil changes for 100,000 miles as well as other maintenance checks. My experience at the dealership taking it in for those routine checks has been very pleasant. They go out of their way to point out any issues they note. Update us on recalls. (A rear fuel pump issue came up on the recall list and they performed the check and preventative replacement in the same visit as the regular oil change.). They give me a coupon for free coffee (the froofy, fancy latte, kind) from a local shop, on my way in, and a coupon for a free car wash at another local spot on the way out at every visit.

ellis36 likes this.
  2. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Almost purchased a Subaru Outback H6 3.0 about 15yrs ago, used. Had far too many miles for my taste, but was quite impressed with the AWD. Went car shopping on a really stormy evening, and took the thing up into the hills (with the dealer rep along), to see how it'd perform on crappy roads with sketchy grip. Stellar. The 3.0 didn't have the best gas mileage IMO, back then, but it was an impressive car for what it was. Had the price (for the mileage) been about $3-4K less, I'd have bought it.

30+ years ago, I had a Subaru. Have driven many. Have test-driven the Forester, the CrossTrek and the Outback. Wouldn't be a first choice for me, if needing to tow things regularly, particularly if anything heavier than a 2Klbs load; I'd want something with stronger towing ability. But otherwise it's a hard-to-beat platform for a good basic rig.

3. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I owned two Nissan Frontiers, they were good little trucks but there are a few issues. Frontiers use a timing belt and are interference engines meaning at 60,000 miles you must replace the belt and water pump as they share the same cover. The oil pan has a welded seam which on mine rusted through, the cost of the oil pan was $1000 + and you must raise the engine in order to change it!

4. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Since all you motor heads are here I have a question, the vehicle is a 2008 Honda Ridgeline
    one bulb of the two light overhead courtesy light was out and had been for a while, I just never got around to replacing the bulb. I'm driving to work it's 7:00 am or so on a very nice stretch of country road, enjoying my coffee and with the radio on. With no warning suddenly there was a loud crack like a .22 pistol going off right near my ear! The non-working light flashed and works fine to this day. Has anyone else had a similar experience? It startled me enough that I had to pull over I was expecting fire! This was several years ago.

towboater likes this.
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought a new 2000 Subaru Legacy Wagon. It was a lemon. At 24k which is the warranty it started coming apart. Every month something expensive broke. The power steering was making noise when I traded it in.

towboater likes this.
  6. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If i need to tow something, that's what the F150 is for. The Forester we bought in 2009 made me a believer. Never had any issues with it until we sold it to oldest kid at 114k miles. He later totaled it, but kid wasn't hurt.