Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last brand new vehicle I'd bought was my 2004 1/2 ton Chevy Silverado . It didn't pass safety inspection this time . The rear frame was to rusted to hold my rear bumper safely .

It's really too bad because the truck runs great . No engine or trany problems , just a rusted out rear frame .

I'm looking at Toyotas and Suburus . Heard good things about the 2010 thru 2015 models on both . Did hear bad things about the V-6's but very good things on the "boxer type "4 bangers .
What do you all think ?

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Be prepared to spend a bunch on a used Toyota. Why not go back to a Chevy? Their 2017-18 Silverado is top rated for reliability and can be found at reasonable prices. My 2018 with a 5.3 V-8 gets 18 m.p.g. in the city and 22 m.p g. on the highway and has plenty of power. Much better than the 2010 Ford Ranger with a 4.0 V-6 I traded in ever dreamed of getting

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Toyotas are nice but price wise the market overvalues them by bit IMO.
A hidden Gem are the Nissan Titans which are overlooked by the market and as a result can be had a 3 model years newer than the price equivalent totoytas.
From the '17 onwards they came with a 6 yrs/100000 mile bumper-to-bumper (!) warranty and so a 17 is usually still under full warranty and will be for years to come.

Reactions: dango

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
If it is a good truck ..... why not weld it up & keep it . Has to be cheaper than buying another one .
I just bought a new 250 last week & it cost more than my house did but still drive my 95 1500 too .
Some TLC & a few bucks & they last for many years . My Harley is a 1982 & I still ride it . :p

·
Banned
5,559 Posts
Agree with old ron. If all it has is some termite damage near the bumper a few hundred bucks will fix that better than original.

I guess I'm just used to driving old vehicles. Newest one I ever owned was an 06. Cant see paying for a vehicle what I could build a house for.

·
Premium Member
16,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it is a good truck ..... why not weld it up & keep it . Has to be cheaper than buying another one .
I just bought a new 250 last week & it cost more than my house did but still drive my 95 1500 too .
Some TLC & a few bucks & they last for many years . My Harley is a 1982 & I still ride it . :p
Balota and I drive Subaru. We love our vehicle.[/QUOT

·
Registered
807 Posts
The liquid salt they put on the roads in Pa combined with the crappy wax undercoating used on my 2012 Sierra has caused a lot of frame corrosion. If everything else is good with your truck look for a good welder to repair it. Trucks are so overpriced these days I’m gonna drive mine till it falls apart.

·
Banned
5,559 Posts
The liquid salt they put on the roads in Pa combined with the crappy wax undercoating used on my 2012 Sierra has caused a lot of frame corrosion. If everything else is good with your truck look for a good welder to repair it. Trucks are so overpriced these days I’m gonna drive mine till it falls apart.
Yep. I drove my 86 f150 4x4 until the frame broke. Twice. Wife threatened to beat me if I fixed it again. It had one hundred eighty thousand on it.

Drove the 05 f 150 4x4 after it to two hundred fifty nine thousand . Tranny went so traded it in on a 2005 f 150 4x4 with 85000 on it. We shall see how far it will go.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
What you need is a high mileage same model truck from the dry country to swap out the engine and transmission. There was a guy that would buy up high mileage cars and trucks with good bodies and haul them back east. Swap out the running gear and a good vehicle again. Look at ads from AZ, NV and non coastal SoCal.
There is a really good looking Ford PU 4x4 for sale in the neighborhood. Was not interested so did not check it out. I think it is an F150. We see a lot of low mileage senior owned rigs too. Zero rust.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
Mrs Buckhuntr and I are on our second Subaru. If it ever needs replacing, we'll get a third. It has possibly the best AWD around, and the Forester & the one Winds has are better than average reliability. It will not leave you stranded.

Reactions: SRK97

·
Proud to be an American
3,491 Posts
Wife and I both drive Toyotas, she a Camry and me a Tacoma, both very solid vehicles! My Tacoma will very likely make 250,000 miles or more. Down side even a used one is pricey but there is a reason they hold their value.

·
Proud to be an American
3,491 Posts
I had a Dodge Dakota I loved the size and the performance of the high output 4.7 v8. Ball joints were shot at 45,000 just the ball joint assembly were $450 each not counting labor. After that it really fell apart so no Ram in my future ever.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Two deer really loved wife's 2010 Subaru Impreza, the last one totaled it.
She now has a 2014 Subaru outback, love the heated seats in the winter time. LOL

Reactions: OLD Ron
1 - 20 of 26 Posts