time for my son to learn to shoot....hes 4 years old

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by gaspump86, Dec 12, 2012.

1. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

Hi everyone.
    I want to start teaching my 4 year old boy Gun safety & how to shoot.
    Im not comfortable with him blasting a 22lr just yet.
    So today in Walmart I saw a
    Colt licensed bb gun kit(Airsoft 6mm plastic bbs).
    It includes two guns both full authentic size and design.
    M4 + quad rail, vert grip, and rail mounted light that works. 300 magazine and real working safety

Colt 1911 target barrel 15 rd magazine
    Both are spring powered. U must Cock it after every shot.
    They shoot fast enough to sting or put an eye out. Eye protection must ALWAYS be worn.

What do y'all think? Any tips from other / wiser dads (im 26).

2. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

Just remember at 4 their attention span isn't as long as it's taking me to type this reply.

Main thing I can advise other than safety is having fun with it and not trying to teach too much right now. I started mine off at 6 with a Crosman 760.

If you push too hard too early it will take any enjoyment out of it and it will feel like a chore to them.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I think a bb gun is a great start although only you can really say if your kid is ready to start shooting though. Some kids are a little more mature at a certain age than others and it depends on each kid. Try it and if he does well continue, if he doesn't listen, has no interest, etc maybe wait a little longer.

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

if you think hes ready go for. but FIRST, have him watch eddie eagle, teach him the rules, and have him be able to repeat them.. not word for word, but needs to be understanding of them. then and only then have him hold the BB guns empty, have him practice pretend shooting, and follwing the rules. then have him fire. if at anytime a rule is broken the privilage should be temporarily removed. and go back to teaching, and empty practice. be sure he knows that it will get taken away if the rules arent followed.

5. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

Just don't go too hard on him. My youngest would not hold the gun in a correct manner. It wasn't unsafe but just awkward. The butt under his armpit instead of in the shoulder. I kept working on getting him to change it to the point he almost didn't want to shoot anymore. Finally I stepped back and said go ahead do it your way. he somehow manages to shoot better than his brother who is 4 years his senior.

Obviously it will need to change when we move him up to something with a kick.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

So not a rifle? Rifles are easier to train with in my opinion. Progress will come faster as well.
    I guess I'm prejudiced against Airsoft. To me, it brings a whole "Toy" impression to the whole proceedings. IMHO, you should consider a proper Air Rifle.
    I'd recommend something of this nature:
    http://www.amazon.com/Daisy-880-Multi-Pump-air-rifle/dp/B0018LER90
    Why you ask?
    It will shoot BBs or pellets. They are surprisingly accurate with pellets. Scope it and it will amaze you at 10 meters.
    Multi pump action adds a bit of versatility. I use 2 or 3 pumps indoors. 10 pumps does good on cans at longer distances.
    A Daisy BB gun used to be a traditional rite of passage for an American boy.
    It's a "real gun" in that it shoots useful projectiles.
    He can still use it as he grows up.
    I still own the one (881) my Dad used to teach me. It still works great. My son shoots it now & again.
    YMMV

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

I let my son pop off a few every now and then with a .22 at that age.

But for his own gun, and to teach safety and such, there's nothing like a Nerf.

8. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

Good points. I didn't realize what he had posted wasn't rifles. Daisy is good as is Crosman. I chose Crosman because the 760 is what I had as a kid

9. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

That's how my daughter shoots the 10/22 under her armpit. She's small and shooting a standard 10/22, but she's a very good shot.:)

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

ooo dont wanna give him a shotgun and say here do it your way? lol JK..

11. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

He's hard headed as hell (just like his Daddy) so I may let him do it his way once. I don't think he'd want to do it again. lol

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Gaspump,

Good Dad you are! :D As they stated the main thing at this point is simple to teach and number one safety rule at his age. Do not point the gun at anyone or in their direction. He is probably too young to comprehend the last part at this age where we also advise "and anything we do not intend on shooting! "And above all be gently with him at this age! You can even reward him for a gun lesson session. Kids love ice cream and candy!! But don't give it too him before the lesson!! LOL!:D My son shot his first 22 at 4 yoa but he knew the rifle was Dads and I helped him hold it on a bench. He had a Daisy BB Gun I helped him shoot at the time to learn safety and skills. I had to cock the lever for him each time. I think you have an excellent Idea! And as a fellow sportsman thank you for being a Great Dad and taking the time to pass the love of our sport on to another generation. We can only hope it continues to be passed along!

13. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

An m4 is a rifle

14. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

An m4 is a rifle

ForumRunner_20121212_115413.jpg

15. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Fair enough. Missed the M-4 part. I saw 1911

16. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

My eldest son turns 21 is April. My youngest son turned 4 last month. Personally, I believe 4 is too young to understand what there doing and can be to scary for the little guys..."noise"

At 4, my eldest received al lever action "pop" gun. Looks like a "Red Rider" bit fires nothing...just makes a pop and gives a bit of felt recoil. He was taught proper handling with this over the next two years. Several times per week we would get it out and walk around the house and back yard paying attention to finger placement, muzzle control, Ect...

These were very short, repetitive lessons..."remember, short attention span".

At 6 he graduated to a 10-22 with a second hand stock I had cut down to fit him. By his first trip to the range, he was able to un-case and safely carry his rifle to the firing line where he was taught the range rules, "which matched what he'd been learning at home", how to load, how to fire, sight picture, ECT...

By age 11, he was my back up RSO on "marketing" trips with clients. He wulill be applying for his CCW shortly and there is not another man alive who I'd rather have watching my 6.

His little brothers training will follow the same path. His pop gun is already wrapped up for Christmas.

Tack

17. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

I don't think ill be moving him up to anything stronger for a few years.
    Maybe in a year or two ill get him a nicer electric airsoft semi/fullauto rifle. If he likes it.
    Im pretty sure he's gonna love it.

18. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I also think 4 is a bit young. I started my boys around age 8. They are 22, 19 and 16 now and each one of them is an expert marksman. The Old Man's still better, though, by an RCH. :cool:

19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Well you may as well give him driving lessons too. If he is old enough to learn to shoot, he sure ought to be old enough to learn to drive.

20. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

Honest question. When did you start learning to shoot? I know I was taught well before I was of legal age to drive. Not saying I didn't drive tractors & trucks around my grandparents farm before I was 16.