Tikka T3 Super Varmint

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by AleksiR, Jul 2, 2011.

1. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

I had been looking for my first centerfire rifle for a couple of months now and finally found one that I liked and was in my budget range. I was already decided on buying one of the Weatherby Vanguard heavy barrel models, but my LGS didn't have any in stock. Instead I bought a used Tikka T3 Super Varmint. The previous owner had it only for a month before trading it in for a T3 Sporter, so the gun´s practically new and the shop gave it the same warranty as for a brand new gun. The barrel was already threaded by the previous owner and came with a Noise Stopper supressor and Sako Optilock weaver rings. I paid couple hundred less for the whole package than what a new Super Varmint would have cost, so I´m very happy with my purchase. Now I´ll just have to wait for my next paycheck to buy a decent scope... :cool:

Here are a few pics. I´ll post more pics and a range report when I get the scope.

Edit: Caliber is .308Win

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Very nice rifle.Those guns do shoot very accurate.

I wanted to buy a LH Tikka Varmint-25/06,but Beretta-USA wouldn't import it for me.
    They first told me that Tikka didn't make it,and when I showed them that they did,they said they wouldn't import it to the states for me.

3. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

That´s strange, did they give any specific reason why they wouldn´t import it?

4. Txhillbilly

Oh they had a bunch of B.S. made up reasons,but all it come down to was someone at Beretta-USA is just too lazy to make a phone call and custom order a rifle for a customer.
    Therefore,none of Beretta-USA's companies will every see a dime of my money.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

OP, Caliber??
    Tx, contact CZ USA, they will custom make a rifle for your, on a true Mauser action.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Nice rifle Aleksi. :cool:

7. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Thanks CA!

Almost forgot, lol, it´s .308Win

That´s just disgusting customer service :mad: I´ll definitely mention this to the CEO of Sako when I see him (he´s a friend of my mothers or something like that).

8. Txhillbilly

JP,I already had Savage build it last year.

9. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Got my scope for the Tikka, Sightron SIII 6-24x50 with Mil-dot reticle. I´ve actually sighted it in already but didn´t have the camera with me. I´ll post a range report next time I go to the range.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Very nice set-up AleksiR!

I'm looking forward to your Range Report.

11. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

yyeah its looks really nice

12. jpattersonnh

13. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Thanks everyone!

jpttersonnh, I like it a lot. I bought this to be my "range scope" for target shooting, I´ll get another one for hunting with lower magnification. Changing between the two scopes should be a breeze with the Optilock rings. Oh, and nice looking Howa you got there :)

14. jpattersonnh

The rifle in my avatar also wears a Sightron. CZ527 Varminter in .223, SII 6.5-20x42mm ao.

15. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Nice, I´ve been thinking about getting a CZ 527 in .223 with the lighter barrel or something similar for hunting grouse, although the Tikka should be also good for that with the right ammunition like the Lapua Scenar, doesn't tear the bird into pieces :D

16. jpattersonnh

Problem w/ the lighter barrel is it is 1:12 twist, The Varminter is 1:9. We use shotguns here in the U.S. for grouse! As a kid in N.Y. they were the size of an american football.

17. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Didn´t know they had different twist rates for those barrels, thanks for the info! We use shotguns too, but mainly rifles because here you usually find them sitting at the top of a tall pine or spruce near open ground, so they´re much easier to catch with a rifle.

18. Txhillbilly

AleksiR,Great choice on the scope.I have 2 Sightron SIII 6-24x50 LRMD scopes,they are incredibly clear,and the adjustments are dead on.

I'm going to buy a couple more Sightron SIII's,but I'm going with the new MOA-2 reticle on them.

19. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Thanks, I bought the scope based on comments I read here (yours included :D ) and elsewhere. I don´t have too much experience with optics but I really like this one and a friend of mine wants one too after trying mine out.