Tick's tick's everywhere tick's

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by LONGHAIR, Sep 30, 2010.

1. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I WAS FULL OF TICK'S,AFTER COMING OUT OF THE OZARKS WOODS. THE LITTLE BASTARDS WHERE EVERYWHERE, HAT-SOCKS-SHIRT-HAIR-SHOES-UNDERWEAR-EVEN THE TRUCK SEAT. THE DOG,NOT ONE TICK AMEGNTHAT. LIME DISEASE IF IT'S OUT THERE I PROBABLY GOT IT AFTER THAT. ANY GOOD TICK PROPELLENTS OUT THERE ANYBODY KNOW'S OF THAT REALLY WORK???????:confused::confused::confused:

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Anything with DEET in it. Tick needs to be feeding on you for some hours to transmit Lyme disease. Wear high top lace ups, tuck yer pants into the boots, spray ankles and belt line. When you start itching, there is an over the counter called Camplo-Phenique. Liquid, green glass bottle, yellow cap. You can thank me later.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I will check maxi-deet out. Thanks

5. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

If your joints start to ache or you start to have flu like symptons you need to get to a doctor.....tuleremia...etc and of course lyme disease. Simple, cheap antibiotics will cure most anything they can carry. This is a bad time of the year to get a bite due to the fact that they have been on all kinds of hosts during the warm months of the year.

6. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I will tell you look into getting some of Ex Officio's Insect Shield Clothing it is worth it if you spend time in the woods.

Supporting Members can get great deals through the Buyers Club.

7. Swampbilly

Swampbilly New Member

Perhaps a lower cost option to the insect repellant clothing described previously, is this :

Sawyer Duranon Permethrin Insect Repellent, Insect Repellent & Control, Camp Essentials, Camping : Cabelas.com

Sawyer makes this insect repellant spray that is designed specirfically to spray on fabrics and clothing. I use this myself and it works great. You take your clothing, spray the garment really well (on the outside of the garment only...not inside where it would be next to your skin), and then hang the garment up to dry for 24 hours. After it dries, it is odorless and the insect repellant quality will last up to 6 washings.

The expensive insect repellant clothing you buy, will also eventually lose its repellant qualities with washing...I think they are good for about 25 washings. Then what...do they expect you to buy another shirt?

With the Sawyer product, you can re-treat the clothing.

Ticks are mostly a problem around your legs area from the knees down. In your case, sounds like maybe you hiked through some taller grass or thick brush to get them all over like that.

My suggestion :

The 90% DEET for exposed skin areas (I actually have a deeps woods version that is 100% DEET...definitely more smelly though)

The Sawyer product to treat your clothing

I use gators (sprayed with Sawyers) to cover over and seal off between my pants leg and tops of hiking boots.

Once in the woods, I will also spray the DEET lightly around the areas just above and below the gators, on my legs and boots

This should greatly reduce, or eliminate, your problem.

Regards,

Swampbilly

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  8. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

Ticks & Chiggers?

An "old school" remedy is coating your pant cuffs with kerosene! Kero is "light"
    in odor & if you use some other "game scent" to mask it, it can be very
    effective! Thankfully, we do not have chiggers here, & the only time we
    encounter ticks is when we skin a deer or elk! Ticks on the deer I harvested
    in California were more numerous than the deer & elk in Idaho! Thankfully, I
    have never been bitten by either of those bloodsuckers, but I have brushed
    my share of them off me!:eek: Btw, even Jethro my beagle was (tic free)
    after his first hunting season with me last fall!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  9. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Chigger's

Chiggers, there a hole differen't story,i get them out in the yard just walking around. There bad around here,just south of st.louis,mo.

10. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

The kerosene solution...

Is what worked for my Oklahoma relatives to ward off chiggers. Thankfully in
    my short visits there in the past, I was not bitten by any of them!:)

11. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit New Member

Go to the camping section at Wally World and get some Permanon bug spray. You don't spray this on your skin, it's very high in Deets. You hang your hunting clothes in the garage and spray the clothes and boots really well and let it dry. Usually overnight is what I do. Haven't got a tick or chigger on me since I started doing that.

12. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Bunny, Permanone is good stuff, but it uses Permethrin as the active ingredient, not DEET. Permethrin comes from certain plants in the (I believe) Daisy family. And it is most definitely NOT for skin.

13. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit New Member

You are right, I got my can out last night and looked at it. I must have had it confused with something else I'd bought when they were out of Permanon. You definately want to let the stuff dry on your clothes before you put them on. I usually do mine overnight. But it sure does keep the bugs away.

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Ok man you don't have to yell about it.

DEET the more the better...

15. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

Chiggers

Longhair, I lived in Missouri for 20 years, (actually I wasn't there all that time, there were years when Independence,Missouri was just on my records in the Orderly room as "Home of Record")
    But I do not for a minute miss chiggers or ticks. That is the first thing I found out about Colorado when I moved out here. No bugs or even very few flys. When I go back to Mo. I spray and pray. I sure don't want to be identified as the guy that brought insects to Colorado.
    Sarge

16. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I didn't know colorado didn't have many bugs,I haven't been there in ten year's or so. High altitude maybe, I can't wait for colder temp's to knock these bugs out. It's been really dry here for some time,They just posted fire warnings in missouri just the other day.No rain in sight.

17. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

bugs and dry weather.

As many rain storms and tornadoes that have gone through Missouri I am surprised that it is dry there. Most of them must have hit the west side over KC area. My sister lives in Columbia but she never writes so I don't know what kind of weather Missouri is having.
    We have very little rain here in the Denver area. The elevation is 5,000 to 6,000 ft above sea level. And our area is considered "High Desert" When I first moved here I wondered why everyone had such green yards and mine was very dead looking. Finally a neighbor told me I had to water the lawn. Back in MO. the dang grass grew no matter what you did to it. LOL
    The foothills to the West of Denver always have fires in the fall and sometimes in the summer. Why those rich fools keep building houses in those mountains is a puzzle to me.
    Sarge

18. REDTAIL

REDTAIL Member

Ticks

Here in NYS we have lot's of ticks & the Lyme Disease outbreak is always very high here, I spray my clothes with Permentaine whenever I go out in the Hunting wood's & this stuff is great & has helped keep the tick's in check.:)