Ticker troubles

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by buckhuntr, Jul 3, 2017.

1. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Shucks Dango, you and some of the others on here have been through this much and more, and it's you fine folk who are lifting me up. I'll be honest, I've never had a high tolerance for pain, especially pain that could have easily been avoided. But knowing that others get through these things is helping me get through mine. If I weren't temporarily on alcohol restrictions, I'd lift a toast right now.

2. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

This is one of those times when we lift the restrictions on non-alcoholic toasting...

3. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Buck the good news with the depression is it goes away. Hell call someone on the phone. Take a walk around the house. Think of evil things to get back at your kids! The depression will go away.

When I brought it up to my Cardiologist he said; "Oh yeah, no one mentioned that?" Uh, no. To me or others I asked.

4. buckhuntr

I've been doing ok so far on pain management, until pushing it a bit this morning. I'm on an Oxycodon & acetaminophen mix, no more than one every 6 hours. Woke at 5am, it had been 7 hours since last dose, and I felt ok so didn't get up for another dose. Big mistake. Woke again at 6 and I was HURTING. Took a pill, felt worlds better in a few minutes.
    I think I won't wait 8 hours anymore for a few more days at least...

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I Think ya did the right thing. I've taken the same medicine, and I didn't take it until I got pain. Never had a problem coming off of it.:)

6. buckhuntr

I've had similar meds a few times before, and never had trouble dropping them either.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Buck

My experience was like locutus for the first three or four weeks I only took one when the first sign of pain came. After the forth week I refused to take any more. Not to be gross but Oxy will cause other issues like constipation which believe me that is the last thing you want to endure after your Sternum has been cut and tacked back together! Coughing and Sneezing is bad enough as I am sure you know. Keep the Bear Close! I loved my Heart Pillow.

8. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

And great mental/emotional therapy!

9. ratpacker

ratpacker Member

God bless and wishing for a uncomplicated recovery. Really.
    On the 7th ... I had my 1st Stent in my left ventricle. 10 days later (1 performance 7 days later) trouble, that nitro glyc. Couldn't fix... I was back for my 2nd stent on the 17th (Sat morn.)
    Relatively OKAY now... Thank you, Doctors. &. EMS.

"I should have bought books, instead of rich, high calorie food."

10. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

good luck. I had the triple bypass in Apr 2017, then 2 heart attacks in Jul 2018, and a stent in Aug 2018.
    doing good so far.
    Dang blood thinners though made me sell my beloved M1A's as the doc was worried I'd get a clot.

11. buckhuntr

Thanks for the concerns, but that was 2 years ago. I've since lost weight, gotten more active, and generally feel like a new man.

RJF22553, ratpacker and kansas45 like this.
  12. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

they will tell you to eliminate salt from your diet. you will find that when you do, salty food tastes vile.

they will tell you no more ice cream ever. yes, you can; coconut or soy milk ice cream is fine.

a gallon of milk contains a days worth of salt. a gallon of gatorade, same thing. just don't.

13. buckhuntr

Didn't eliminate salt entirely, just reduced it a lot. Eliminate as much sugar as possible, it's far worse than fat in your diet. Ice cream is ok, just limit the serving size and track it. We have no-sugar added frozen yogurt most evenings. Food scales are our best friends when it comes to eating healthy.
    That and exercise. Oh, and we eat a lot of yogurt and nuts, and a fair amount of cheese, although most varieties of cheese have too much salt.

14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Be glad you can take it. Some of us can't.

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I had two stents seven or eight years ago. I am thinking I need another, but I have been avoiding talking about it to my wife. Maybe if I just quit running marathons I will get better.

Sniper03 and ratpacker like this.