Thunderbolts

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by TimelyMeerkat, Aug 1, 2009.

1. TimelyMeerkat

TimelyMeerkat New Member

I am new to firearms. I bought ammo for the first time today remington thunderbolt high velocity .22LR round nose cartriges in a pack of 50 for $2.00. I looked at several forums and see the thunderbolts are no good. Is this true and would the bullets destroy my new handgun.

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

They will not hurt a thing. They are just the most unreliable of the bulk 22 lr ammo out there. QC is not top on the list on the thunder bold line.

3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Take them firmly in hand and go to the nearest large lake and give them a mighty heave towards the middle. You'll get a lot more satisfaction and less aggravation from them that way. Might want to tie a five dollar bill to them so you can say you actually threw something away.

For cheap plinking try the 550 round Federal bulk packs.

4. TimelyMeerkat

TimelyMeerkat New Member

Thanks for the help I will buy some of the federal ones.

5. Yunus

Yunus New Member

There not going to hurt your gun so break it in with them or try to trade them or something. Just be prepared for jams more often, that's my complaint about them.

6. Tueur de mouches

Tueur de mouches New Member

The Thunderbolts are not very accurate, it dirty the semi-auto weapons, powder residue and emplombage barrel (I have a CZ452, Ruger MKIII). My favourites ammo for my Ruger are Winchester Laser.
    I remember having fired Lapua Magazine 22 (canned 500) which worked to perfection for cheap

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

All but the top end of the ammo spectrum in rimfire is going to be dirty.
    I just picked up a $20 box of Eley Match ammo the other day.

I wish I had enough to bet all 40 boxes of it they had on hand.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ammo will not hurt your handgun. Shoot them up, but understand they are on the low end of the ammo quality scale.

Federal makes some good ammo, even their bulk packs.

Tueur- Here in the states, Lapua Master is very good ammo, but among the most expensive (about $18/ 50 rounds) However, in my bolt rifles, have been having good sucess with Fiocchi Match for about $9/ 50. And I think the term in English is "leading up" of a barrel. Does not translate exactly, but refers to unwanted excessive deposit of lead metal in the bore of a firearm. Yes?

9. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Exactly correct!!

10. Tueur de mouches

Tueur de mouches New Member

thank you for the translation of the word.
    To remove the lead, in barrels, the best product, the mercury.
    And the Lapua cartridges, is not Lapua Master. Itis not expensive cartridges Lapua, just like Blaser CCI, or Federal American Eagle ...

11. OC357

OC357 New Member

No. Fire them.

If it is an auto it might not eject properly and jam in the action. I had this happen with a Walther P22. Some ammo brands would jam the action and wouldn't eject properly. I tried CCI Mini Mags in it and they worked flawlessly in the P22 so I have been using them ever since. I am sure there are others that will work fine also. With a revolver, you would not have that problem with ejection. The CCI's are $6.47 a box of 100. (I buy a lot of them) I do not know if that is considered expensive for 22's but that's what I shoot.

I have not tried every differend brand, and I am no expert. That is just my personal experience.

OC

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Re: using mercury to remove lead- yes, it works- and we USED to do it here. However, since mercury is very poisonous, it is very difficult to get it here. With a 22, bronze brush and bore solvent takes care of most problems. For .357 Magnum, I use a Lewis De-Leader. Brass screen over a leather plug that fits the bore very tight. Have pulled CHUNKS of lead out out the bore after shooting a LOT of lead wadcutter bullets.