Thunder Thursday

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by JTJ, Oct 20, 2011.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife and I went to the indoor range today. It is Thunder Thursday and 1/2 price. I am trying to figure out how to stop her from anticipating the shot and pushing the muzzle down. The pistol is dead on. She is shooting an SR9c. When I got her to relax she would get into the black but then she would start choking the pistol to death and shoot low. We were shooting at 7 yards.
    I was shooting an SR9c and a G36. We each have an SR9c. Below are my targets also at 7 yards. She would not let me keep her targets.

Attached Files:

2. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Nice shootin jtj. I think you got em

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Get some snap-caps and mix them up in the mag with live ammo.

It will graphically show her the anticipation movement she makes when the gun doesn't go bang!

Attached Files:

4. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Nice shooting bud. Thanks for sharing.

5. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Cane, which snap caps are those a-zooms? Have you have had any experience with them? I got the pachmayar ones for the 1911 and the glock for dry fire practice and they've held up pretty good so far...

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

As you can see I use mine frequently. Actually I have made a game of chambering one and while watching evening TV I practice my trigger brake and sight picture by shooting actors on screen. The worse the show, the more practice I get in. It's great therapy!

7. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Omg why haven't I done that!?? With some of the crap on TV lately I'm sure you practice a lot! Too bad my boss isn't on TV.......
    Guess ill have to try the a-zooms next

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have snap caps for my GP100 and I use them all the time to practice at home and at the range as Cane mentioned. I put one or two in my revolver, spin the cylinder then shut it, aim and shoot. Sometimes it goes BANG and sometimes it doesn't. I'm going to have to start aiming at people on the TV, too. I like that idea. Thanks.

9. utf59

utf59 New Member

I prefer dry-firing at the TV with my revolver. I get faster follow-up shots when the lawyer commercials come on.

10. fmj

fmj Active Member

Great idea.....another thought is to film the range sessions. When you get home you can review the tapes and she will SEE the issue(s). Around we call 'em our "game tapes"

by the by....thats some dern fine paper massacrein' there!!

11. utf59

utf59 New Member

You don't even have to wait until you get home. My wife and I were at the range last week, and she took some video of me shooting. When I played it back seconds later, I saw a bad habit that had crept into my grip without my feeling it. I reloaded and addressed it right away.

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I switch between 9mm, 10mm, .45acp, .380, .22lr, and .32acp. It becomes real obvious what I am doing wrong. Start w/ a heavy recoil gun, switch to a .22lr and watch what happens. Have a partner hand you your own handguns in different calibers at each reload and see what happens.

13. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

If you dont have snap caps. Try having her close her eyes and just have her squeeze the trigger nice and slow a few shots it works with some shooters. I have had my daughter do it when she was starting to anticpate the shot and jerk the pistol. just have her work on squeezing that trigger nothing else matters and then when she gets back to good mechanics then have her open her eyes and start to aim again with the same slowness and steadyness they did when there eyes where closed

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Got snap caps. I had to get them on line. I think she is being a little to gentle with the trigger. She is taking too long to get the shot off and by the time it breaks she is anticipating. This is a new problem. She was doing pretty good before and has a lot of rounds down range.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011