Firearms Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An excellent article. Although I don't reload at this point, I have enough general knowledge that it was quite understandable for me. However, I've never heard of a belted cartridge before. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind explaining it to me please?

It is on some magnum cartridges like the 300H&H, 300Win mag, 300Weaherby (all Weatherby cartirges), 8mm Rem Mag, 375H&H and so on. Some believed it was put there for strengthening the case to make it stronger, but it is for head spacing and for sure feeding out of a box magazine.

None belted case like this 7mm08

Belted case like this 8mm Rem Mag case

note belt around the bottom of the case.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't like rebated rims nor short fat bullets, but that is a preference of mine and it mainly has to do with feeding from a magazine. Some like them I don't.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't buy into belted Magnums not being accurate or non belted magnums being more accurate because of the belted or the lack of it.

Out of the box 300Win Mag Savage

Three shot group 165gr Sierra

Nine shot group 165gr Sierra

Out of the box 7mmSTW Savage

Three shot group 130gr Seirra MK 3500fps

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not a matter of "buying into it." It's simple fact. You can't change internal ballistics.
I said nothing about changing interna ballistics, I just don't think people ought to buy into Belted magnums not being accurate. Example, how many national championships have been won by 300WSM as apposed to the 300Win mag, you might be surprised and I am talking about only during the time the 300WSM has been in existence.

Also, lets see some of your targets that you have posted before on forums or the web from your none belted magnums. My above targets have been posted before and these are only a very small percentage of target evidence I have posted through the years in articles, forums and websites for my belted magnums.

I also did not say none belted are not accurate, only that belted magnums can be highly accurate.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have shot and loaded for my brothers .300Rum and it is a powerful and interesting cartridge, one to certainly consider for long range hunting with plenty of power to spare. I have two Mark V's in 300Weatherby so I would not have a need for the 300Rum, but my brother really likes his and it does knock down the game. I understand your intent in your previous post. Thanks for the response.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 7mm Rem Mag is a fine cartridge and two of my close friends it is their go to hunting cartridge for all that they hunt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.