Three IN Cops Charged With NFA Violations

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by alsaqr, Oct 4, 2011.

1. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

These rocket scientists bought over 70 full auto weapons using the letterhead of the Sheriff's Dep't they worked for. Looks like they sold some of the guns in the internet. They were scoffed up by the BATFE.

USAO Press Release -

2. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

No ones safe from the ATF

3. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

when i first heard the report of this on the radio, i thought they were talking about Lake Co., IL which i think would be even more shocking, not because its a better county then the one in indiana( though they probably think they are), but because in line with illinois the gun restrictions are more stringent.

Either way, they'll use this to draw attention to the fact that they police their own, while F&F continues to unravel...

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

wasnt the only murder ever committed with a registered nfa weapon a law enforcement officer too??

perhaps the sherriffs should be asking permission of the citizens to buy nfa items instead of us having to ask.

after the gunwalker crap i think its time to take away nfa items from law enforcement and give the rights back to the people where they belong...

seems its the leos violating batfe and nfa more than anyone here lately.

5. ttolhurst

ttolhurst New Member

What could possibly go wrong???

6. fmj

fmj Active Member

again showing in glaring light it is no longer "of the people, by the people for the people" but instead" of the Govt, by the Govt For the Govt"

7. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Fixed.

:)

8. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Government created the market

I wish someone would get serious about repealing the 1986 NFA Act and updating the law for civilian ownership so that this type of crime wouldn't even be worth it! 70 full auto weapons would be worth about $1 mil on the legal market, but who knows what the markup these guys were asking when there was no paperwork required. The only reason they had a market was because LEOs can purchase post-1986 full autos and demand almost any price.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not to split hairs, but LEOs cannot purchase post 86 full autos. LE AGENCIES can, but not for transfer to an individual. If they were acquiring Class IIIs as an agency purchase, then illegally transferring them to other persons, they are looking at a LONG time in a Fed Pen.

10. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Removed. That was just poor taste and don't need the mod's berating me.

You're right c3. They will be out in a loong time. If they're lucky.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That is kind of funny. A few months ago I shipped a stolen/recovered handgun to the rightful owner who now resides in a small municipality in Lake County, IN. It is nice to see that criminals are getting their just deserts, even if they happen to wear a badge when they commit their crimes.

There was a similar situation round these parts a few years back. A neighboring Sheriff's Office allowed Deputies to purchase Ruger AC-556 rifles on agency letterhead. The scheme was legal as they could keep the guns as long as they were employed by that agency. If they ever left their agency, they had to sell the gun to another employee (at or below the original price) who would then keep it as an issue gun. Things got sticky when the Sheriff died and a new guy stepped in. He found records that his agency owned several machine guns, but could not determine where they actually were. He called ATF for assistance. ATF tracked all of them down. One was in possession of a State Trooper who never worked for the Sheriff's office.

ATF gave them the option of giving up the gun or face prosecution. I guess the main difference in the situation was they were not reselling to God knows who for a profit.

12. hoodweisen

hoodweisen New Member

not full auto cop an robbers related but in my small town (4000 pop) our cops decided they needed a harley davidson. I mean really a harley davidson. But yet my neighbors are still cooking dope.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

They'll find a way to prove it's our gun store owners' faults. Did you guys know that border state gun stores have been selling fully automatic weapons to Mexican cartels for years?

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I guess the ATF took "Don't steal, the government hates

competition." to heart...

15. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Isn't there an additional license one must have to even sell those types? I know that you can't buy one made after 1986 unless you're law enforcement, so, doesn't that also mean that they can't even sell them?

16. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Correct, C3, that's what I meant was in their enforcement duties they could purchase them through their agency who actually owns the firearm. You weren't splitting hairs, it's an important distinction! Thanks for pointing it out.

17. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

The gun can be sold to another LEO in the same department, no one else.

18. ttolhurst

ttolhurst New Member

I wouldn't think it could be sold or transferred to anyone at all, LEO or not. Don't these guns have to be the property of the agency itself?

19. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I'm trusting C3 on this but I think he knows the details. The LEO never owned the gun it's owned by the agency or office not the officer. They might internally have some kind of system to track inventory and what officer has what gun but I believe that legally the agency is the permanent and only owner of the gun. Unless there is some exception for agencies to transfer guns which I believe there is considering when I was in the Air Force we got a shipment of M-16 A1's from the Army.

20. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Cops are just like the rest of us, most are honest, some are crooks. The crooks usually confuse the issue that they are the law, rather than they enforce the laws.

I had a good laugh, when a few weeks ago, the "Chief of Police" in our neighboring (one cop) town was arrested, by the sheriff's dept., on a domestic battery charge. His wife was also arrested. The pair's photo appeared in the local paper, and he looked like he had the hell beat out of him. And the deputies didn't do it.:D The pair's mug shots looked like a couple of meth-heads having a bad hair day.