Threading my barrel

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by lbwar15, Mar 13, 2014.

1. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

How difficult would it be to thread my factory barrel on my 700 sps tactical?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

it's not really that hard if a person has the proper tools and equipment to make sure the bore is concentric. a good gunsmith or machinist could do the job easily. not a job for a DIYer.

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I've been wanting to do the same to mine. I was debating on the 20" or 26", went with the 20" for the reduced weight and maneuverability but it's just a liitle too short to look right, a nice flash suppressor would really fix that. Plus the muzzle flash is huge!:p

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Not difficult at all for a competent machine shop. The thinnest barrels may be a problem, otherwise $100 give or take.

5. sandog

sandog Member

As Axxe said, best to have a gunsmith or machine shop experienced in firearms work remove the barrel and thread in a lathe. That being said, I have sucessfully threaded an AKM, AR and a Mini-14 by using a bore guide purchased from Brownell's to make sure the threading die starts square to the muzzle. My decision to do the job myself was not based on the cost but due to not being able to get a shop to get around to it for several months. If you can get a shop to thread your barrel without having to wait till your hair turns grey, that would be the preferred method. If your hair is already grey, then there's no hurry !

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you are considering running a suppressor, I would seek out a proper gunsmith. Better to make sure it's done right, than getting baffle strikes on your suppressor investment.

7. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

If you are thinking about threading your barrel then it's better to make the threads concentric with the bore, to make the process easy.