Thoughts & Prayers....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by slowryde45, Jan 14, 2010.

1. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Well done, Slo. What a disaster.

3. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

7.0 would cause havoc in San Francisco, I can't even imagine what it must be like out there. Thoughts and prayers to the people of Haiti, their friends/relatives abroad, and all the aid workers who are trying to help out.

4. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

We are getting ready to send our GO team over there, 10 of my officers and another 135 from other ports across the country. Should be there tomorrow. Won't let me go :mad: say I'm to high ranked for the deployment.

5. failure_drill

failure_drill New Member

i called my chain and volunteered to go.they said no with no further explanation

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Bottle neck is the airport.

Get some US Military Engineers in there and FIX IT!

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Some runways are three foot thick concrete! Takes some heavy equipment and time to ffix that sort of thing. I don't understand why they aren't air dropping supplies into the ariport or a designated drop zone?

8. failure_drill

failure_drill New Member

cause that would make too much sense:D

9. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Sadly, Slo - I think it will.

Haiti is a semi-country that has not had any kind of stable government since the dictatorial regime of the Duvaliers (Papa Doc and Baby Doc) who were ousted in 1987. Haiti at best has been in a sort of restrained anarchy since then.

The personal suffering and anguish of the Haitian people due to this disaster is tragic and heart wrenching. Make no mistake, this country has been effectively sent back to the stone age by the earthquake. What little government they used to have is essentially gone. What little economy they had is essentially gone.

In the immediate future in order to prevent mass starvation and death by disease, Haiti will have to become a gobal welfare state. Once that happens I do not think that Haiti can readily transition back to some sort of self sustaining entity. Their culture has too long been imbued with political corruption and a strong-man type government which has stifled development of a growing self sufficient culture and economy. Corrupt power seekers will take control, rival gangs will battle for power and control of the humaitarian aid. In short, Mogadishu.

10. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Tragically, I think you may be right, TX. For all the reasons you mentioned and more, the situation seems just dire from these reports. A 'semi-country' indeed; it's been a political basketcase for a long time now, as you pointed out. And this is a disaster on an immense scale...

Planes laden with supplies unable to land in Haiti

:(