Thoughts on the Sig Sauer P226 as a first handgun?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by trevor001, Apr 25, 2010.

1. trevor001

trevor001 New Member

I received my basic training and have been enjoying firing 9mm firearms. I really enjoyed the Sig Sauer P226. I have had an opportunity to shoot the Glock 17 and 19, CZ 75, Sig 226, 228 and 229 and a few rifles. Any thoughts on the Sig 226 as a first handgun? Are there others I should try? I am looking primarily for accuracy, smooth action and an overall feeling of excellent build quality. I am the sort of guy that likes heavy metal, leather, wood and glass.

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The 226 Sig is a fantastic weapon. Depending on what you plan to use your handgun for will have more to do with any other thoughts on the matter. If you plan on carrying the weapon them maybe something a little easier to conceal but really the 226 in a good holster is not hard to carry at all either. A good belt and holster and you can carry most handguns. The best triggers are going to be in single action weapons. A 1911 being my personal favorite. A Commander length 1911 clone is what's on my hip on most occasions.

The other weapons you tried out would all be good weapons. It all depends on what fits your hand and what you are wanting as to single, double or SA/DA. Everyone here will have one weapon they can elevate above all others and for them that's great. But they (nor I) will be using your weapon. Get your hands on as many as possible. If you liked the Sigs the 229 is a smaller framed weapon that carries really well too. The triggers will be about the same as the 226.

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The P226 is a bit big for concealed carry. If that's not an issue, it's a fine first weapon.

It was my first. A little on the spendy side for a first leap, but it's a good gun. That's their flagship offering, on which they base all of their tacticool models (Equinox, Blackwater, X5, etc).

It's all about what you'll enjoy shooting and learn to shoot well. Honestly, I enjoy my CZ 75b more...and it set me back $350 less than the Sig. For $400-700 you can get into any number of nice first guns, from polymer (Glock/XD/FNP/M&P) to steel (CZs/entry level 1911s) to some really nice revolvers (S&W/Ruger). But if the Sig is what you like, the quality of their 220/226/229 models will not let you down. You should be able to get into one with night sights for under $800.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Can't really add any more over what's been said. A 226 is a great gun but it's on the large side. A 228/229 is my preference in Sigs are they a are bit smaller and easier to carry if that's in your future...

5. ZackB

ZackB New Member

Plus the .22 conversion is nice too if you should want to just plink things.

6. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

I am also looking into getting a 226 as my first handgun. I have a rem 1100 and a browning citori for clays. I have been out to the range and would like to get a pistol. I am not looking to carry any time soon, just looking for something to have a lot of fun with and to be able to shoot better than my buddies. I also want to make them jealous.

7. TheGunLady

TheGunLady New Member

I bought one a month ago. SWWWEEEEET! ^5

It's accurate, reliable, and rests well in the hand. A truly balanced and durable firearm with several accessory options and backed by great customer service.

Puts a smile on my face that Brillo can't get off. :D

8. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

wow, i can and do second each one of those statements, very well said.:)

9. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Yeah, 226 is a great gun. However it is all about ergonomics and what feels comfortable in your hands, buy what "feels right" in your hands and has the trigger pull you like and you'll be happy.
    I own three 226's, two .40s and one .357 sig. and love them all! Heres a pic of my favorite!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

11. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

Excellent weapon. Trigger as smooth as a baby's bottom, feels like a dream in my hand, far more accurate than I'm likely to be in the near future. Got familiar with my dad's, saved up, ordered mine (my first, too) yesterday :D:D. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with it, from what I've experienced.

12. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle New Member

Wow Gordo, that Equinox is beautiful!
    I've been wanting a sig for a while now, leaning more toward the 229 myself or a 220 Carry. I also like the de-cocker on the sigs.

13. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I started out carrying a Colt 1911 for a few years. Then went to a Sig P229 for about 12yrs. The Sig is one of the best handguns I have carried. When it comes to a Sig you can not go wrong.

14. Surftaco

Surftaco New Member

15. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Right now J&G Sales is having a sale on the Sig P220, used but in good condition. I already have one but I might have to get a 2nd or 3rd one at that price.

16. jap30

jap30 New Member

SIG P226 Equinox 22 conversion Kit

The P226 Equinox comes in the .40 only, is the .22 conversion compatible with this version of the P226?

17. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I love all my Sig's and yes I'd say get one.

Before you buy, there is a Sig that I suggest you look at.

It's the Sig Sauer Pro 2022

[​IMG]

It is a good buy at around $450 to $500 new.

It has the great Sig trigger.

And mines been wonderful to shoot.

:cool:

18. kcolg

kcolg New Member

My P228 (compact version of the P226),is more accurate than any of my Glocks,solid ,reliable gun, you could check out the P228 for carry also ,it's basically the same gun but smaller.